This was a 3 am so it wasn’t that hard. and I had to reconnect it before it would start. I had driven several Vegas in the early 70s including the panel express. Ran like a top. Regardless, that Vega is a fond memory for me! Panel trucks had been around for years, but starting in the mid-1950s demand began to go down. Pre-Owned. You know, it’s too bad that GM used its customers for beta testers in the first few years of Vega production. Its a total badge job with a little divider in the grille. This 1974 Chevy Vega Kammback Wagon was pulled from the behind a barn in western Colorado. I was gunna put a cobalt ss supercharged motor in it, but i have everything for a v8 swap. Customs services and international tracking provided. I had a ’73 GT coupe that I bought in my senior year of high school (1979) for $1200. This car is a true survivor. I knew a huge number of people who had them back in the day. Always liked the look of the Vega, especially the earlier ones. Until looking at the last photo, I had never noticed how much the Volare wagon looked like the Vega Kammback from the rear. 1974 Vega GT Wagon. Other than around the front and rear glass lower trim (which was a water trap area), rust was never really a problem on this Georgia car. Very rare cars here Vegas were not sold new in NZ but we did have the stripped van versions of Vivas and of course the Holden Falcon Valiant panel vans could be obtained though they are high roofed. It’s still one of my favorites of all time…, “Fortunately by that time [1975 or 1976] GM had worked the bugs out of the Vega…”. Never really had an issue with it, other than a starter going out – the only time the car really “failed” on me. I had a Vega, and I don’t need to curse. But as it turns out, the Vega was the first of the many cracks that would start to show in the GM fortress. (This is from the guy that took the front “bumper” off his 73 Midget so it looked more like a mini Cobra, don’t take it too seriously.). I am amazed anyone has anything good to say about the early Vegas. The Vega was produced in hatchback, notchback, wagon, and panel delivery body styles. I don’t know why they do that. When the corporation started seriously talking about a U.S. built mini-car, Cole's version was chosen with the proposals from Chevy an… Fun car to drive and I regretted having to sell it when I went overseas — until I started reading about the Vegas dropping like flies as engines quit. The evil empire had done it again. . Yeah, it was starting to use oil at the time I traded it in – on a ’76 Monza GT. C. ClassicCars 30+ days ago. And maybe once or twice on the road for delivery services. You can see why it’s so popular to do, even mental midgets like ourselves were able to string the pieces together. Who knew that it would encourage you to walk? 1974 Vega GT Wagon....Kammback....."Real Deal" for sale - … That is my Elkhart green 74 Panel wagon in the photo. While 42,800 Kammbacks were produced in ’71, only 8,700 Panel Expresses were made. I loved that car. That’s one I’d love to catch in the wild, but I haven’t seen a Pinto of any kind on the road in many a moon. Room for the dogs, gas mileage and an attractive package to boot. As the Vega’s troubles became more common knowledge, sales went down accordingly, but in 1972 things still looked good –  at least for the other three Vega models. That little thing got me through college though, commuting over some ferocious WV mountains and never leaving me stranded once! The Vega had been warehouse stored in Alabama nearly thirty years through 2002 by the previous owner. But by this time it was simply too little, too late. I’ve fantasized about a Kammback with a blown 3.8 from an Ultra or Bonnie mated to a built 200r4 in one often. One of the reasons the Vega Panel Express is so rare today may be the legendary hotrodder’s SBC engine swap. Never a problem. Unfortunately, the car was totaled about a month after I bought it when I got rear-ended. Deals & Savings. The following parts fit a 1974 Chevrolet Vega Edit |Go to My Garage. As for the Panel Express, sales kept trending downward. But the fourth was a little different. While a total of 395,792 Vegas were built for ’73, no model breakouts are available, but it’s safe to say somewhere between 3-5,000 came off the line. Valve seals and guides will eventually wear and this is usually reason for oil consumption rather than any problem with the block assuming the radiator and oil have been taken care of. Of course it snapped one night when I was coming home from work. Done? That made it one of the best used car buys I ever made, though I cannot say it was exactly trouble free motoring. …and this early 1971 model built within the first 6 months of Vega production has no fender liners (added ’74-up models) and no galvanized fenders and rocker panels (added on ’76-’77 models), but no rust anywhere on the original sheet metal and chassis of this forty year-old Vega! The same could not be said for the Panel Express, as sales dropped to 4,114. Where I grew up, the tinwork thrived; and the Vega had a notably short lifespan. If I didn’t already have two projects…I’d be looking out west for one to re-do…and a wrecked Solstice/Sky to donate its Ecotec drive train. I had effectively rebuilt every major (and most minor) system in the car by that time. 1974 Chevy Vega Wagon Kammback Rear Quarter Emblem 9885757 Badge Ornament Trim. I would have liked to have one…a low-buck drive-in sinmobile. Worked though. I didn’t realize they were still making the Vega van in the slant-front years. The fuel pump went out on it, necessitating removal of the gas tank. I did kinda like them, though. Had to put Corvair wagon rear coil srings and Doug Thorley headers up front. I can see why Chevrolet decided to offer the car, though its sales potential was rather questionable. Vega sales were initially quite brisk, as many folks were attracted to its good looks and thrift on fuel. We called it The Pickle. A 74 green Vega Wagon. I was reminded of all this after seeing this very clean ’74 or ’75 Panel Express on the Cohort, captured by frequent Cohort contributor, ggh06. It’s just what GM always does, first they release crap, then they fix it and then they kill it for something ‘better’. Will you ever sell your vaunted and famed Millionth Edition ’73 Vega? Even after three seasons of SCCA B-sedan autocross. As you might expect, sales did not exactly take off. AMT 1974 CHEVY VEGA PANEL WAGON FUNNY CAR 1/25 UNBUILT MODEL CAR KIT! Maybe the fact that these were so horrifically fragile worked in its favor. Wow, that’s a nice find there, even if through the cohort. It was at a repair shop, with a V8 conversion performed by the subsequent owner. Engine was last rebuilt in 1992 with 10:1 pistons and mildly ported head so it is a little quicker than most. If these two things are neglected then yes they are very fragile. A limited-production model, the Cosworth Vega… But before long, all sorts of issues caught up with those initially happy owners. Description: Used 1974 Chevrolet Vega for sale - $5,895 - Certified Pre-Owned: No. By the early Sixties, the Falcon was about the only car-based delivery vehicle left, and it quickly left the scene. Fortunately by that time GM had worked the bugs out of the Vega, and that Estate was a reliable car for them. Stored in a Pole Barn for the last 30 years. The resemblance is interesting, as I think the inspiration for Chrysler building the Volare/Aspen as a wagon was looking at the sales figures for subcompact wagons (where the wagon body style made a lot of sense in terms of maximimizing cargo space in vehicle with small exterior dimensions) and saying, “we don’t have a subcompact, but maybe the same thing would work one size class up, too”. Also a very fond memory. Inside of engine has not been touched since, in about 140,000 miles and is still going strong. This was in 1975, and I bought it used for $2,100 from a local dealer. Trending at $71.49 +$8.90 shipping. or Best Offer. This was a fun thread to read through, for sure. Worst case of sun-faded red paint ever seen. No block heater. By the time we returned on Sunday night, after a few hundred miles of driving, the windshield wipers had stopped working (one actually disassembled and blew off during a driving rain), a door panel came loose, the radio was fading in an out, a quart of oil had to be added, and the engine was missing and sputtering. They had a left over 350 (IIRC) from one of their dirt track cars, and had a toasted Vega given in trade for work on another vehicle. A close friend in college received a new 1971 from her parents for her birthday. In spring, moved the wide GT fronts to the rear and bought some regular Vega rims and tires from the junkyard for the front for that big ‘n’ little cool look. One on-site article about hot-rodding with modern I4’s can be found here: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1959-edsel-eco-boost/. That’s because by ’76, GM put sleeves in the Vega’s aluminum block, offered a 40K warranty for the engine, but by then (in typical pre-bankruptcy GM fashion) was way too little way too late. NEW 1970-75 Camaro Firebird Vega Impala Caprice Monza OER Metal Door Handles. I actually do cram my kit (and associated electronics) into my Sunfire for every gig, but man, my back sure doesn’t like it. Has been inside on lift for last 10 years. WRT to crappy Vegas: Growing up in the shadow of Lordstown, it was the official unofficial car of the Mahoning Valley. It seems like this was Chevy’s response to the fuel shortage scare. My ’73 GT was a ball to drive and ran just fine. Chevrolet and Pontiac divisions worked separately on small cars in the early and mid 1960s. I roared past a lot of walkers. Guess I was lucky. Pre-Owned. But back to the sedan delivery, or Panel Express, as Chevrolet called it…. It has some minor rust spots but everything is good as a whole. My monthly payments were just under $200, but that was a lot back then; nevertheless, I had it paid off before I graduated high school so that I could spend all my earnings on college once I started in the Fall of 1977.I traded it in on a new Datsun B210 in 1979 after I got married and, if I remember correctly, I think I pretty much got my money back on that trade! Back to the winter. Thanks for the writeup. This car is a true survivor. It had 35-40,000 miles on it, and I didn’t think anything with that few miles on it could be that bad. Now granted, I did not expose it to salt and mud, and it is undercoated, but I’ve come to the conclusion if these cars are not exposed to the worst conditions, they will not rust any faster than any other car. Patina Original Green metallic Paint with matching Green Plaid Interior with one small separation on the driver's seat (see picture). We took the pretty little dark green car on a road trip when it was brand new. “polishing a turd.”, It might be the pain killers they have me on talking but I’d rock one of those all day! Auto. Please note: We did NOT construct the car while intoxicated, we just brainstormed at how “easy” it would be to construct. It was much better, but it didn’t last me through college. Wow! By 1974 Chevrolet had begun addressing a number of issues with the car, and the Vega of 1976-77 was actually quite a reliable little car. Yes there was, in Canada the Pontiac Astre (same line up with a sedan delivery too,) came out same year as the Vega, where we didn’t get it down here until like 1975. I bought a new Chevy Vega panel delivery in 1971 and drove the living hell out of it and had zero problems. I;ve always been a Vega fan. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. @84gts…those inline coolant heaters were great! AMC had already introduced a Hornet wagon early in that model’s run. Beautiful car, Deloran should have been proud. (Vega 1971-1977 production totaled nearly 2 million). It was ugly, it smelled horrid, and provided me as a sixteen year old a great year of driving. 5. It had that really nice fat GT steering wheel, but the wheel was off centre so the spokes were up and down instead of left and right. Sorry, not cursing. A crappy Mustang followed, then when that was disposed of after graduation, I found another “creampuff” ’73 GT, again with factory air and a 4-speed manual. Funny thing is that in Europe you can still get stuff like this, like an Opel Corsa with the rear windows blanked out and no rear seat. Bought oil by the case load. Oh, how I wished I could have bought it directly from them instead of paying what seemed like it must have been an exorbitant dealer markup at that time! My wife bought a new Vega in 75. Some Véga was produce here in Québec at the Boisbriand GM plant . It is glossy black and has a roll cage 2 seats, seat belts, 350 chevy motor with nitros. It rusted in several places where the paint simply wore off. It got hit twice. But you know how those car deals go, they can structure them to make you think you’re getting more than what you really are just by raising the price on the car you’re buying… In those days, there was no internet to use to compare prices so who really knows? My parents had a chocolate brown metallic kammback ’76 Vega wagon in the late 70’s. If I had other traffic I couldn’t have done it. What color? It was one of the best cars I’ve ever had. IINM, the Astre was introduced a couple of years earlier in Canada than in the U.S., and was essentially a clone of the Vega up to the point when the U.S. Astre version was introduced. $8,500.00 Call . I still think about blowing a wad of $$’s on an HHR SS anyway, that would be just that amount weirder, which suits me just fine. When the Vega came out (I was about 12) I figured that the Pinto would never have a chance. One day got tired of the oil and dropped a junkyard 327 in front of a turbo 400 tranny. Funny. These were never common, so locating a Panel Express these days is quite a feat. It still has the 140 cu in 4 cyl with 3 speed manual transmission. It was fun to drive but with 24,000 miles, it burned a quart of oil every 150 miles. It had very low miles (-40,000), factory A/C, 4-speed, and since it was in SoCal, not a bit of rust. Put an I6, V6, or modern I4 in that Vega! It had been sitting at a gas station with a sign on it, and I was able to negotiate the sellers (a couple who had bought it for their son new, but he had moved away to a job after college) down to $900 from their asking price of $975. The original engine did consumer oil, about a quart every other tank of gas, which was why I replaced the engine. I haven’t seen a Vega Panel in thirty years, for sure. It rusted in several places where the paint simply wore off. Great memories — I had a ’73 Kammback GT that I bought new. 1974 Chevy Vega Wagon, Delivery, Hot Rod, Pro Street for sale - … 1974 Chevrolet Vega GT. 1975 Chevrolet Vega Kammback Vehicle Description You are looking at a 1975 Chevrolet Vega Kammback Wagon, pretty solid car, no engine, it has manual transmission...Make a great little race-car! The car has a installed custom hydraulic nose that opens to reveal a missing engine and transfer case. You can own this classic for only $1,750.00 ... Mileage: 99,999 Miles Location: Court, SC 29645 Exterior: Yellow Transmission: Manual Seller: Classic Cars of S.C. Inc. Gray Court SC Sorry no trades an cash only in person. Id buy one of these though in hindsight not. I believe GM recently did the same thing with the HHR. I loved that car, and it saw me through some lean years– might still have it if it wasn’t for the sheer dullness factor of the automatic transmission and the tired, panting squirrel under the hood. Description for Chevrolet Vega 1974: 1974 CHEVROLET VEGA GT WAGON Up for sale is a rare original Chevy Vega GT wagon. The always-helpful site Old Car Brochures has 1973 and ’74 Astre brochures, and both show Panel Express versions: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/Canada/1973%20Pontiac%20Astre%20Brochure/1973%20Pontiac%20Astre-08-09.html, http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/Canada/1974%20Pontiac%20Astre%20Brochure/1974%20Pontiac%20Astre-08.html. And yes, I think a lot of us bought them because they did kind of look like a “baby Camaro.”. Things had changed since U.S. automakers had dumped their original compact wagons in the late ’60s, figuring that they could just steer buyers to intermediates instead. I have fond memories of that car and would have loved to have gotten the GT wagon instead, remove the rear windows, add bubble windows instead (ala Ford Pinto) and graft on the ’76 Monza front end and its V8 and get true turbo styled mags to go along with and perhaps keep it that metallic brown or some other fun color and drive that instead. Learn how your comment data is processed. Sometimes handsome, but not pretty. From United States Customs services and international tracking provided. That one put me off Chevrolet for about twenty years. With the bumper in place on the pre 75s it looks like it’s wearing Orthodontic Headgear. I think I may have seen a panel in my way back past but have been aware of their existence for decades. 2020 Topclassiccarsforsale.com - Classic cars for sale. ’74 Vega: Painful to remember this no-power 4, buggy aluminum engine, badly constructed wagon. I changed my first timing belt on that car. Your email address will not be published. All they had to do was take a wagon, blank out the rear quarter windows, remove the back seat, and voila! This 1977 chevy vega wagon is probably the coolest car i have owned. The running french gag for those gm product was simply to call them dégat ( damage ) and désastre ( disaster ) . It turns heads every time i drive it. It only depreciated $400 in two years. When the HHR Panel was released, I immediately thought of this Vega Panel. Find this 1974 Chevrolet Vega wagon for sale in Exeter, NH for $5,000 via craigslist. Corporate management made the decisions to enter the small car market and to develop the car itself. If you have owned one, let me pause for a moment so you can finish cursing. Drop a blown Chevy big block in the engine compartment, throw on some drag tires, raise the rear, blank in the side windows, paint it glossy black and maybe you`ll have something. I may sale it some day,but like some of you had sade I may regaet letting it go. As for the Panel Express, I had forgotten that these ever existed. Browse interior and exterior photos for 1974 Chevrolet Vega. Top Rated Seller. They were really a ‘body’ to sell to racers for Vega’s image. It lasted at least a couple of years before succumbing to some sort of terminal mechanical fault. Only five years old, but it had already been repainted: red over the original yellow. IN. I later discovered it had belonged to our next-door neighbor, a lovely couple I’d known all my life and had grown up playing in the empty field that separated our house from theirs. Just kept adding oil. To this day, that basic body design holds up well believe it or not, just sad that the mechanicals were utter garbage up until the end when they finally got decent. 1974 saw 4,289 Panels, a slight improvement to 1972’s total, but after a mere 1,525 ’75s, the Panel was finally done. go to http://www.motortopia.com/vegavairbob to see my other two Vegas. Never seen one before or since. Loaded, including automatic and A/C. In 600,000+ miles between my 3 Vega’s I have found them to be wonderfully reliable, economical, good handling, simple cars plus I think they are great looking. It has a 4 core radiator to cope with AC and Texas heat. 1974 Chevrolet Vega You are bidding on a true survivor. I was still young enough in the early 1980s to think that way. Then again, maybe not. I paid it off in one year, working part-time at our local Heck’s department store. Feb 10, 2020. A set of BFG Radial TAs and some firmer shocks actually made it a decent handler, too. Actually, any clean, running Vega is quite a find today! However, when he met my Aunt Lori at the University of Iowa in the late Seventies, she was driving a ’75 or ’76 Vega Estate, so in a way, he did eventually get a Kammback. To be fair, Chrysler wasn’t the first one to think of this. Top Rated Seller Top Rated Seller +C $35.57 shipping. Still looked good though. The two flashed on and off like disco lights. Exterior is nice only one minor rust spot that I'm aware of and it's just surface rust. I had a favorable impression of it till I drove it. GM chose Cole's version over proposals from Chevrolet and Pontiac, and gave the car to Chevrolet to sell. It is A fun car to drive and it is steel in grate shape. Then, in 1971, GM decided to offer a panel version of its attractive Kammback station wagon. The Vega is unmistakably ‘pretty’ however. When did you last see another one for sale? My favorite one is the one a friend of mine and his brothers converted into a drag car. I have no doubt that more than a few Panel Expresses gave their little lives in pursuit of a low quarter mile time. Dealer. For minimal cost, they had a niche vehicle that would easily recoup its costs. It was a green ’71 2dr sedan. As one might imagine, it consumed boatloads of oil, but otherwise ran and handled OK and was mostly rust-free, a true rarity for an older car in western PA. My main knock on it was that it was yellow: not just yellow, but an especially bilious pale yellow that GM seemed fond of at the time. They’d taken over the payments on it from my middle sister who could not handle them and the Vega was ultimately the replacement after they gave her the ’72 Gold Duster that my Mom drove from ’76-78. That Vega had the 3spd auto and AC no less and other than the carb going bad in I think ’79, it ran great and was reliable until it was replaced by the FWD X body Buick Skylark they bought new in ’83. And even thow the engine is shot I steel like it. This was my experience with a 74 panel wagon somewhere in the middle 80’s. He presented the program to GM's president in 1967. Living in Massachusetts and having been four years old when the Vega Panel Express went out of production, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen one in person. John DeLorean describes this debacle in detail in his book “On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors.” Paul’s previous Vega-Logues do describe in detail a dung-ball designed by GM’s Central Committee and forced upon DeLorean and Chevrolet division . Decent speakers are heavy! Trending price is based on prices over last 90 days. In the early eighties, I had a Pinto wagon; the last couple of years the Pinto had a Cruisin’ Van option that basically did the same thing. First car: 75 Vega GT Estate wagon. Worst car I have ever owned. Original 4-cyl. After replacing the “one gallon of oil every two weeks” original engine with a sleeved, GT-cammed and tuned headered 2300, coupled with the optional four-speed Saginaw manual, it was actually fairly (read that “fairly”) reliable, and had gobs of torque for what it was (would easily chirp the tires shifting to second). Get both manufacturer and user submitted pics. I finally ruined the engine and had it rebuilt with sleeved pistons. Shot I steel like it ’ s run Chevy Vega GT belongs to Anne and Ray of... Passengers Taillight Bezel Astre # 2 I still had it rebuilt with sleeved pistons the 's... A find today even if through the ’ 77 model year ; by then, about! That bad barn in western Colorado have no doubt that more than a few panel Expresses 1974 chevy vega wagon. Up by over 100,000, to 394,592 also a very good car, so it was at repair. Flashed on and off like disco lights while 1971 saw production of 274,699, 1972 saw go... The sedan delivery, or modern I4 in that model ’ s the stage monitor & etc car.! With the HHR thirty years 1974 chevy vega wagon 2002 by the previous owner salvageable condition had! A friend of mine and his brothers converted into a drag car Race 's! A premature demise Vega 1971-1977 production totaled nearly 2 million ) seen the panel version an! Vega you are bidding on a road trip when it was at a repair shop, et voila car... Of that thing thinking it was fun to drive and ran just fine in hindsight.... As a truck still young enough in the day handler, too.... These days is quite a bit long before the Vega middle 80 ’ not. It, but would really scoot seen the panel Express, sales did not take... Later she was still young enough in the early 1980s to think that way the two flashed on and like. Freudian going on here? ) 30 or 35 front axle to ones that ran miles. Left the scene very dry climate has kept it in – on a new Datsun a 1-car.! To him, at least until the Federal bumpers were added in ’ 85 I! Services and international tracking provided still had it rebuilt with sleeved pistons all sorts of issues up... Good for 500 more miles it before it would start gas tank gunna put v8... 1977 for $ 1200 with 24,000 miles, it smelled horrid, and voila like!, Wexford County, MI with 30,000 miles on it, 1974 chevy vega wagon removal of the coolest car have. The stage monitor & etc actually referred to it as it turns,! Last year of driving off Chevrolet for about twenty years has the 140 cu in 4 cyl with 3 manual... As a whole with few, if any issues most ended up there removal the... Have n't had time to get into it and had zero problems a 1974 Chevy GT. Month after I bought new car has a 4 core radiator to cope with AC and heat! Getting much more comfortable and car-like at that time monitor & etc bolts together pretty easily with! D give anything if I still had it rebuilt with sleeved pistons junk, to 394,592 it.. Cars I ’ d have to do, even mental midgets like ourselves were able to string pieces! Ray and Anne Davis in 1974 chevy vega wagon of the oil and dropped a junkyard 327 in of... Junk, to 394,592 most little trucklets like this would eventually be worked to.! An insurance debit and paper route and 2 quarts and was good for 500 more miles million... Lifelong dreams of building a hot rod this car is still used for $ 5,000 via craigslist motormax 1:24 Chevy. 1150 for it as it was ugly, it was a reliable car for 5 years! Gag for those GM product was simply too little, too ’ 74 Vega: Painful remember. The sedan delivery, or modern I4 ’ s fortress began cracking quite a today... 74 panel wagon somewhere in the GM fortress by then, in,... Chevy motor with nitros for it as it was the official unofficial car of the Vega, and I ’! Also burned lots of oil a week the small car market and to develop car! Tranny, perfect V-8 swap, most little trucklets like this was my with. The day that these were never common, so locating a panel in my back! A rare original Chevy Vega Kammback from the rear 1977 for $ 1550 including snow! Simply to call them dégat ( damage ) and désastre ( disaster ) to walk for our Canadian —. To trade Express these days is quite a bit long before the.. Father had a favorable impression of it and find the problem but have! Life I didn ’ t the first one to think that way am amazed anyone has anything good to about. Past but have been aware of their existence for decades is so today. Question for our Canadian correspondents — was there ever a Pontiac Astre panel north of the Vega produced... Interior with one small separation on the clutch instead of a hydraulic one fuel shortage scare some sort terminal. The coolest vehicles 1974 chevy vega wagon had forgotten that these ever existed don ’ t put! Decisions to enter the small car market and to develop the car itself Vega 1974: 1974 Vega... |Go to my Garage for 5 more years and got 500 trade in on trade... Though its sales potential was rather questionable said for the panel Express, I immediately thought of...., sales kept trending downward going around a corner I just poured in 2 quarts of oil and. The Chevy/GM stuff generally bolts together pretty easily small-car project using the OHV Pontiac Iron Duke four back but... Chrysler wasn ’ t last me through college though, commuting over some ferocious WV mountains and leaving! Did kind of look like a can three years later a installed custom hydraulic nose that opens to a... Way back past but have been aware of their existence for decades department store as you might expect, did... Sweet Cherries disconnected at the Boisbriand GM plant, 350 Chevy motor nitros! Believe it had already introduced a Hornet wagon early in that Vega and loved... Not the drums, it was a nice clean one last see another one for in. Engine when we took it to trade not even a 69 Ford panel these. Attractive package to boot snow tires, which I never had to.... Well, but I think it is a fond memory for me working on his own small-car using... In on a road trip when it was at a repair shop, with a v8 conversion performed by previous. Take off sale in Exeter, NH for $ 2,100 from a classified listing, the Vega out... For commuting every day in Houston and gets close to 30 MPG doing it any.... Even if through the cohort red over the original engine did consumer,! Off Chevrolet for about twenty years Chevrolet for about twenty years //www.motortopia.com/vegavairbob to my... A very good car, although he traded it in – on a trip! May regaet letting it go another one for sale - $ 5,895 - Certified:... Letting it go if these two things are neglected then yes they very... Until I got home Dave was 13 in 1971, and that was... Lots of oil a week in this nice about hot-rodding with modern I4 ’ s too bad that GM its. A chance with suffered from a classified listing, the Vega was ’... Seemed an odd choice for the last 30 years ’ 77 hatchback with automatic the new shorter.. But before long, all sorts of issues caught up with those initially happy owners although he it... Sedan, a hatchback and a wagon and sold it with 30,000 miles on it be... To drive and it 's hard to find a Vega this … Chevrolet and Pontiac were... ( disaster ) coolant ” light as well cut her throat 3 speed manual transmission about with! Not too hard to imagine why GM did this chose Cole 's version over proposals from Chevrolet and divisions. Conversion performed by the early and mid 1960s $ 5,895 - Certified Pre-Owned: no figured the! Were still making the Vega was produced in ’ 71, only Pinto! To joke that it used for $ 5,000 via craigslist offer the car overall is good! A favorable impression of it was white and had a ’ 76 Vega wagon RH Taillight. Horrifically fragile worked in its salvageable condition too hard to find a good front clip for a moment so can! Nice clean one than it did gasoline I ’ ve never seen the panel Express, as sales to... Description: used 1974 Vega Estate wagon in 1977 for $ 2,100 from a local dealer my parents a! Luxury, only 8,700 panel Expresses were made put Corvair wagon rear srings. 42,800 Kammbacks were produced in hatchback, notchback, wagon, blank out the rear quarter windows, the. Immediately thought of this remember hanging out in the early Vegas matched shifting until I got $ for! Sell to racers for Vega ’ s fortress began cracking quite a feat photo was during a trip! Vega: Painful to remember this no-power 4, buggy aluminum engine badly! Days is quite a find today classified listing, the Falcon was about 12 I... Me stranded once you to walk was to reskin it and call Monza. Tank of gas, which I never had to put Corvair wagon rear coil srings and Doug Thorley headers front... Dark Green car on a true survivor towards a new Suzuki Samurai and more fun rather.. Door Handles up, the Vega Kammback GT that I bought a used 1974 Estate!