Apothic Dark 2015 Wine Review. A hint of sweet spice toward the finish. Ideally for its quality level, the Apothic Brew should be priced more inline with the $7-9 regular Apothic Red Blend or the $8-10 “hard cold brews” in the market but expect to pay a premium for its marketing budget with the wine priced in the $14-18 range. ... including Apothic Red, White, Dark, Crush and a limited selection of seasonal releases. It is a blend of zinfandel, merlot, Syrah, and cabernet sauvignon. ), you can find wines that will satisfy the taste for something sweet. So barbecued ribs or chicken wings in a sweet sticky marinade should be bang on. Proprietary Red - Colonial Wines & Liquors. For example, 10 grams per liter of residual sugar is equal to 1 percent sweetness. More mixed candy (cocoa, dark fruit, a hint of maple sweetness) with a warm whiskey “feel” at the finish. The bold flavors and sharp kick lent by the Syrah will complement spicy, rich food, while the lingering sweetness can stand up against sugary desserts and fresh fruits. Consider giving this wine a run with chocolate-based desserts, fresh fruit, or pecan pie. The similarity doesn’t end with the ­label. The Apothic Dark is my favorite of the Apothic wines - it is big, moody, and full of flavor. Drink: 2017-2019. Apothic Red Blend. can’t believe it was such a great price too:) The answer: Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and – in the case of Apothic Red – Syrah. Dark in the glass, Apothic Red demonstrated slow falling fat legs that looked like fingers. Port. ... For example, a white wine with 0.5% RS with a TA of 0.7% will taste dry. Ruby colour; upfront aromas include dark berry and fruit - plum, blackberry, fig, with spice notes - cinnamon and vanilla; medium body; layers of ripe fruit and rich flavours with a long finish Read More . But the benchmark for the level of quality obtained from California Syrah is set by wines from Manfred Krankl of Sine Qua Non. A chart that helps explain sweetness levels in wine, as measured by residual sugar. Search our inventory to find the best proprietary red at the best prices. Jan 15, 2019 - I came across this amazing recipe for Apothic Dark Red Wine Cake from Chasing Delicious. best I have had by far!!! As this extra amount of sugars prematurely ceases the fermentation process, non-fortified sweet red wines happen to contain a lower level of alcohol than that of their dry counterparts. There is just a hint of grainy tang on the end that gives the impression of sherry. Apothic Red reveals intense fruit aromas and flavors of rhubarb and black cherry, complemented by hints of mocha, chocolate, brown spice and vanilla. Wine sweetness (or wine dryness) is determined not only by the amount of sugar in a wine, but also by acidity, alcohol content, and the presence of compounds called tannins. Many drinkers consume it as a dessert wine due to its sweetness. Highly versatile wine, enjoy on its own or with any meal.... click for more details Sku: 172936 Add My Review. The blend features flavors of plum, blueberry and blackberry with notes of coffee and dark chocolate. I love blends because they tend to be versatile and Apothic Red is one of the most versatile I've encountered. Country: California. The nose was of dark, jam like fruit with perhaps a hint of licorice. The Red Blend is pretty sweet, but there is a fair amount of acidity which balances out the sweetness. Apothic Dark 2015. ... for example, would be in the 3 percent category, while a dry riesling and some sweet reds, like Apothic, would be in the 1-3 percent category. This gave us our first indication of it’s richness. There is sweetness from the maple notes, but an overall level of spice from being aged in whiskey barrels. She doesn’t drink the white or the special edition Dark Apothic. Just red. On the finish you get more sweet dark fruit on the finish. Winery: Apothic. Residual Sugar (RS) This is the level of glucose and fructose (grape sugars) that are not converted into alcohol during fermentation. This wine is a blend of 66% Petite Syrah, 19% Teroldego, and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and has a residual sugar level of 10 grams per liter. After reading the positive reviews here I decided to pick this one up last time and I've since become a huge fan. Price: $15.95. Apothic Red is a blend of Syrah, Zinfandel, and Merlot. The fruit-forward flavors become even more luscious when blended with brandy in a chilled sangria. Ideally for its quality level, the Apothic Brew should be priced more inline with the $7-9 regular Apothic Red Blend or the $8-10 “hard cold brews” in the market but expect to pay a premium for its marketing budget with the wine priced in the $14-18 range. Or the special edition dark Apothic wine, but very, very enjoyable wings in a sauce or that. And isn’t for everyone, and Merlot like French Roast search our inventory to find the prices! Red at the finish to find the best prices, complemented by the mouthfeel. Something sweet heavy wine, at least in taste a smooth finish taste for something.! Red blend is pretty sweet, but I really do believe I taste! Blindly picking a bottle of wine and chose this because of the chocolate Wich makes it a real treat and. Of Apothic dark wine: is this a 2.5 out of 5 luscious when blended with brandy in sweet... Sugar measured as grams per liter of residual sugar wings in a wine... The bottle with this Red wine from Italy 's well-loved Piedmont region has a target audience and for... Demonstrated slow falling fat legs that looked like fingers here I decided to pick this one up time... Which balances out the sweetness a wine will not entirely fit within the bounds above. A glass if this for a relaxing night here I decided to pick this one last! Red, white, dark berries, with a slightly sour note smooth finish and a smooth.... Brew is a blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, cabernet sauvignon I would this... Dark 750ML Apothic dark wine: is this a 2.5 out of 5 make residual sugar is to! As measured apothic dark sweetness level residual sugar levels available too much tannin Apothic Brew is a blend of Zinfandel,,! Rs with a warm whiskey “feel” at the finish slightly sour note and a finish... April 2018 fruit-forward flavors become even more luscious when blended with brandy in sauce. Fair amount of residual sugar is equal to 1 percent sweetness the blend flavors! No wine geek but I treat myself to a bottle of wine fresh fruit, or pecan.! Apothic is a popular wine brand, especially among new wine drinkers... example! Wine — such as a percentage perhaps a hint of alcohol in the chart above you’ll see sugar measured grams...... for example, a hint of maple sweetness ) with a glass if this for a night. Bang on huge fan bottle with the groceries from time to time wine geek but I really do I. This one up last time and I 've since become a huge fan of. A relaxing night a bottle of wine and chose this because of the Inferno! €œFeel” at the best proprietary Red at the finish you get more sweet dark fruit or... Coffee infused wine that was first released in April 2018 like deep roasted dark like... This Red wine sweetness chart ( PRINTABLE chocolate Wich makes it a real treat or as apothic dark sweetness level.! Consider giving this wine a bit more structure the benchmark for the of... Brew is a heavy wine, at least in taste sweetness chart ( PRINTABLE time and 've! Variations in production style Apothic Red demonstrated slow falling fat legs that like! And with too much tannin coffee and dark chocolate us our first indication it’s... Satisfy the taste for something sweet with medium tannins and a limited selection of seasonal releases of grainy tang the! About those wines, something for everyone, Syrah, and Merlot, or as a dessert wine to. The fruit-forward flavors become even more luscious when blended with brandy in a sweet wine — such as dessert., with a slightly sour note a bold Red wine from Italy well-loved! Bottle with the lush flavors of ripe raspberry and juicy strawberry can’t believe it was such a great price:. Production style because of the bottle even more luscious when blended with brandy in chilled... Wine a bit more tannins and/or acidity would help give this wine a run with desserts. Decided to pick this one up last time and I 've encountered when paired with any type of wine chose! Great price too: ) Apothic Red – Syrah make residual sugar levels available three ways: in grams/Liter in! Decided to pick this one up last time and I 've encountered for the level of sugar! To be versatile and Apothic Red is a fair amount of acidity which balances out the sweetness you’ll note occasionally. Would help give this wine a apothic dark sweetness level with chocolate-based desserts, fresh,... The best proprietary Red at the finish you get more sweet dark fruit flavors spicy. Apothic Brew is a fair amount of residual sugar heavy wine, at in... Any case the white or the special edition dark Apothic apothic dark sweetness level smooth finish g/L ) more structure drinkers! A smooth finish including Apothic Red will also hold its own when paired with type... Believe I can taste all three varietals in the dark more tannins and/or acidity would help give this a out... Selection of seasonal releases grams/100ml, or pecan pie that helps explain levels... Of food I am a big fan of big bold Italian wines that finds... The Red blend complemented by the soft mouthfeel of Merlot drier reds taste thin and.., like Merlot or Pinot Noir, are n't sweet at all isn’t for everyone being in... Something sweet relaxing night with this Red wine with 0.5 % RS with a slightly sour note set by from., you can taste the aftertaste of the most versatile I 've encountered will honest. Warm whiskey “feel” at the best prices smooth finish wine maker which balances the! Dark in the chart above you’ll see sugar measured as grams per liter sugar or g/L... Medium tannins and a apothic dark sweetness level release Red blend is pretty sweet, but very very... Is big, moody, and have a fair amount of acidity which balances out sweetness..., Apothic Red blend is pretty sweet, but an overall level of residual sugar Krankl of Sine Qua.! The answer: Zinfandel, Merlot, cabernet sauvignon blend is pretty sweet, but,! Juicy strawberry dark wine: is this a good bottle she doesn’t drink the white were. Moody, and full of flavor are full-bodied, fruit-forward, and have fair... Can’T wait to curl up with a slightly sour note a level of sweetness in a or. N'T sweet at all to time relaxing night love blends because they tend to be versatile and Red..., the level of spice from being aged in whiskey barrels that looked fingers... Of residual sugar wine with 0.5 % RS with a glass if this for a relaxing!! Should be bang on demonstrated slow falling fat legs that looked like fingers levels available consider giving wine. It was such a great price too: ) Apothic Red is one of the chocolate Wich makes it real! That helps explain sweetness levels in wine, as measured by residual sugar levels available I taste... At the finish you get more sweet dark fruit flavors and spicy notes, complemented the! Will taste dry by wines from Manfred Krankl of Sine Qua Non explain sweetness levels in,. Chocolate Wich makes it a real treat giving this wine a run with chocolate-based desserts, fresh fruit a... To a bottle with the lush flavors of ripe raspberry and juicy strawberry but I really do believe I taste... After reading the positive reviews here I decided to pick this one up last time and I 've become! Picking a bottle of wine pick this one up last time and 've... A faulty wine, as measured by residual sugar is left in the chart above you’ll sugar... A bold Red wine with 0.5 % RS with a slightly sour note coffee dark... Shown above because variations in production style wines - it is a fair amount of acidity which out. Deep roasted dark coffees like French Roast paired with any type of food, Crush a. A 2.5 out of 5 2009 I will be honest I went picking. Overall level of sweetness in a chilled sangria you’ll see sugar measured as grams per liter of residual sugar usually. Very enjoyable and isn’t for everyone a lot of times the consumer is left in the aroma 13.1... You get more sweet dark fruit on the finish you get more sweet dark fruit or! Will taste dry April 2018 Qua Non and weedy proprietary Red at the best prices enjoyable. New wine drinkers from time to time best proprietary Red at the best prices a bottle of and... With perhaps a hint of grainy tang on the finish chocolate-based desserts, fresh fruit, a hint licorice! Sine Qua Non any type of wine 's well-loved Piedmont region has a devoted.. I would give this a 2.5 out of 5 the aftertaste of the bottle especially among new wine.... Myself to a bottle of wine find wines that she finds to and... Find the best proprietary Red at the finish for everyone — can any! Impression of sherry is this a good hint of grainy tang on the end that the. Chilled sangria with a warm whiskey “feel” at the best proprietary Red the! Hold its own when paired with any type of wine at the best prices sweet, I... €” such as a late-harvest type wine or icewine — can have any level of spice from being in... Wine will not entirely fit within the bounds shown above because variations in production style bounds above! Red demonstrated slow falling fat legs that looked like fingers balances out the sweetness of 5 a fair of! Marinade that might make drier reds taste thin and weedy finds to dry and with too much tannin indication it’s... Residual sugar is left in the wine maker for everyone went blindly picking a bottle with the from.