In the shade the water doesn’t evaporate from the leaves so fast. Her deeply veined (the plant’s, not the real-life empress’s), glossy green leaves with a tinge of blue when they sprout in the spring are 28 inches long and 25 inches wide, and she sports lavender flowers on short scapes that peek just above the leaves. Many offer multi-season interest with color changing leaves that put on a continual show right through to the fall, and white or lavender flowers. White Feather – small-sized Hosta … Hello Jake, With lavender flowers, a mounding habit, a mature height of 12-22 inches, and a spread of 36-48 inches, ‘Patriot’ thrives in Zones 3-8. Shadowland® ‘Empress Wu’ bare root plants are available from Burpee. Hostas are lovely, after all. They seemed to thrive. I created this website specifically for zone 4 Northern gardeners that need help finding perennials specific to their growing area. These hardy, colorful, semi-evergreen foliage plants will brighten … Named after Frances Rope Williams, one of the first landscape architects to graduate from MIT and a lover of hostas, she wrote about them and helped to connect hosta fans with each other wherever she could. That’s per plant. Originally published on February 19, 2020. Hosta plantaginea, which is a sun tolerant hosta… If you’re on the lookout for a giant cultivar to make a splash in your shade garden, this might be it. The Hostas have to compete with both the sun and shade as well as the roots of the trees. Choose vigorous, healthy hostas cultivars with the best chances for growing well in Texas. Standard, even. Hostas and water lilies for beautiful water garden design with stone borders. See our TOS for more details. The broad, pointed leaves appear thick and … The shade comes from large tall White Pine Trees that are over 100 years old. But these are relatively effortless plants to grow otherwise, perennials that are suitable for division as they mature. In the picture above these have been planted about 2 years but were large chunks of Hostas when I put them in the ground. ‘Empress Wu’ isn’t messing around, and she has a commanding presence. You’d be hard-pressed to find a cuter name than ‘Blue Mouse Ears,’ and this little sweetie lives up to his name with a height and spread of just 6-8 inches, and round blue-green leaves. These colors become more vibrant… If you’re lucky, maybe a fairy or two will even pop on by once in a while…. You can see the difference in the color of the greens and the blues of the Halcyon. I would suggest along the lawn/woods if you have a setting such as that. Hostas With Ferns. In a clump of hosta foliage, breeders will sometimes notice a leaf bud nestled in there that stands out from the rest. My love for Hostas started a long time ago before I knew anything about growing anything, and Hostas were not in vogue. Live a little, and make a few new friends in the wide world of hostas. When she’s not in the kitchen making a fresh green juice or whipping up something tasty for dinner, Allison enjoys perusing the latest seed catalogs, tending her patio garden, and reading up on the latest in food and agriculture policy. Originally responsible for the royal laundry, she was quickly promoted to the position of secretary to the emperor. In Zones 3-8, this type reaches a moderate height and spread of 26-30 inches by 20-24 inches. You will notice that “sports” are sometimes mentioned below, and I’m not talking about baseball here (though I do love my baseball – Go Phillies!). But even if you’re working with a tiny patio garden without a speck of naturally composted leaf litter in sight, if you’ve got a shady spot in Zones 3-11, the only question really is this: With various cultivars suited to spreading their leaves over wide swaths of the shaded landscape, miniature slow-growers that won’t take over, ground covers, and even plants that will do well in a special container on their own, there are so many gorgeous varieties of the genus Hosta to choose from. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. During the time of the American Revolutionary War, the Minutemen pledged to take up arms at a moment’s notice, if and when it came to that. We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. This cultivar has a semi-upright, mounding habit. Possibly new soil in the hole where it is planted too. 5 /21. Some sports are not good sports, and full-grown plants that are sports of another cultivar will occasionally revert in part back to taking on the appearance of their mother plants (some of us can only rebel against our mothers for so long, after all…). About the second week of July I am rewarded with many, many dark purple flowers  that last for 1-2 weeks, depending on the weather. The foliage is thick with a cupped shape, and lavender flowers bloom in the summer. It is a sport of June. ), this shade-lover is an excellent option for Zones 3-8. Okay, I might need to go back to the drawing board on that one…. The soil is clay. Let’s break down some fabulous small hostas that work perfectly as borders to your garden. And they’ll likely need some supplemental water during summertime heatwaves. I don’t feel with borders on Hosta beds that they have to go all around the whole bed, but can be part of the way and ending at a rock or another larger Hosta. The sun loving and shade plants have white and green or yellow and green leaves, purple and grayish white with green leaves … If you were lucky enough to spend a good chunk of your childhood in a beautifully and lovingly landscaped garden like I did, with hand-built stone borders and slate paths, shaded by mature tulip poplar trees and filled with birdsong and butterflies, perhaps you’re no stranger to the dappled sunlight and full forested shade that’s perfect for growing bleeding hearts, astilbe, and hostas. Pick your pleasure, from green and white to gold, or even blue, with spiky, heart-shaped, or mouse-eared foliage. Create natural borders using small and miniature Hosta varieties. The foliage fades to yellow in the fall. Keep an eye out for what’s known as “spring desiccation burn,” a condition known to plague blue-green and gold hostas with large leaves, like this one. As it got larger, I divided it and put it in the ground in a few different spots. Remember to provide adequate water. If you live in a growing zone that they like to call home, don’t you think it’s about time that you pick out the perfect shaded spot and plant a few? Hostas add interesting foliage to areas in need of large, spreading and colorful leaves. They are also fast growers and multiply rapidly. Miniature Hostas Mini Hostas For That Small Space! Taught to read and write as a child, which was particularly unusual for young girls at the time, she was known for her beauty and joined the royal court as a concubine to Emperor Taizong as a young teenager. So far, they have done well here. But its unique hue reminds me of that of the Statue of Liberty, a well-aged green copper patina that some plant marketers apparently choose to describe as “ocean blue.”. There’s a lot of ocean imagery weaving its way throughout these descriptions, and I realize that. With a height and spread on the smaller side of the scale, this type will reach 16-18 inches in height at maturity, with a spread of 12-16 inches. Known for its fragrant pinky-lilac flowers that the hummingbirds will love, with scapes soaring to 24 inches above the ground, ‘Color Festival’ is a drought tolerant variety best suited to Zones 3-8. Hostas make a nice alternative to annuals as a border… The leaves have a heavy substance and bugs seem to stay away from them. Because I don’t always have enough of one variety to border the whole bed, I only use what I have at the time, and maybe plant them up to a wall or edge of something else. After logging in you can close it and return to this page. ‘June’ strikes me as the queen of the suburban housewives of the hosta bunch, prim and proper and very put together with a little sparkle that keeps your interest. I’ve always had a passion for Hosta, and they are my go to plant whenever I’m designing (or redesigning) my garden. They spread out to fill in the soil areas between the plants. You won’t want to eat these (probably? In Zones 3-9, Shadowland® ‘Hudson Bay’ reaches 24-26 inches in height at maturity, with a spread of 20-26 inches and a mounded habit. They carry plenty of historical significance with them as well, in name at least! But the chartreuse, rippled, narrow leaves that this plant features will add a touch of whimsy to your garden space, whether you feel they’re worthy of their potatoey moniker or not. Next summer I will post another picture of these and you will be able to see how much they have grown. Hi Judi, First Frost Plantain Lily. Pixie-Vamp-Hosta-happyygarden.com. The Hosta  in the border is called Dew Drop that is a tiny little thing, with a very narrow white edge on small green leaves that will mound up in the center as they grow. This picture was taken at the end of June, 2015, and by the end of August, the plants had grown much more. Plants reach 2-3 feet in height with an equal spread at maturity, with a medium growth rate. She also boasts a mounding habit, and is drought tolerant once established, in Zones 3-8. Thank you, Bobbi. Depending on its exposure to the sun, this plant can show different characteristics from leaf to leaf and plant to plant. Copyright FavoritePerennials.com and Judi Ruedy 2010-2019. by bluegrassmom: May 9, 2017 3:26 PM: 16: Daily Hosta #122 - 'Pixie Vamp' by ViolaAnn: Mar 26, 2017 2:55 PM: 2: And yet more from Ottawa, ON in May: G-L by ViolaAnn: May 22, 2015 9:49 PM: 6: A few from Ottawa, ON in May: A-C by ViolaAnn: May 18, 2015 9:23 AM: 3: Essential and recommended hostas… Miniature hostas are perfect as border perennial plants or when you need to fill that small space in your rock garden. Learn how to grow hostas including sun hostas. But, June is an excellent Hosta and it is a sport of June so it should be a very good choice if it gets more shade. Named the 2010 Hosta of the Year by the American Hosta Growers Association, ‘First Frost’ also features pale lavender flowers that grow on tall 28-inch scapes. Use fine textures to balance hostas Not only does the foliage of ‘Reddy Maid’ Siberian iris contrast with that of ‘Regal Splendor’ hosta … the pollinators who visit your garden space, Kale Spacing: How Far Apart to Plant for the Best Harvest, How to Grow Heavenly Hyacinths for Rich Spring Color and Sweet Perfume, Controlling Plant Pathogens With the Biofungicide Bacillus subtilis, How to Grow China Aster for Color in the Late Summer Garden, 35 Favorite Poinsettia Cultivars for Your Home, Keeping Basil When It Gets Chilly: Fall and Winter Growing Tips, Keep Your Containers Looking Great With These 6 Simple Tricks, How to Identify and Control Turnip Black Rot, How to Grow and Care for Amaryllis Flowers, How to Grow Azure Monkshood for Stunning Fall Color, Grow Your Own Birdhouses with These Decorative Gourds. I’d like nothing more than to gaze at the colorful foliage of ‘August Moon’ in the daytime, with a good book and a glass of sweet tea at hand, and to be able to marvel at the full Sturgeon Moon when it rises at night. (Okay, she allegedly also murdered her daughter… her story is complicated, but she fought the man in a truly awesome and historic way.). I’d like to say I narrowed this roundup down to my absolute top picks, but there were honestly too many fascinating varieties to choose just a few. With an arching mounded habit, and lavender flowers in the summertime, this tiny cultivar reaches a height of 6-16 inches and a spread of 12-18 inches. Hostas are most often considered shade plants. A cultivar of H. sieboldiana, ‘August Moon’ has heart-shaped green-gold leaves with rippled margins that fade to yellow in the fall, and white to pale lavender flowers that bloom in the summertime. It has been a very nice border, the plants mounding higher in the middle and lower on the edges. These mutants are our friends, beloved among members of the worldwide hosta fan club, and they are responsible for the development of new cultivars – sometimes. Live plants or bare roots ready for planting are available from Burpee. Hosta ‘Paradise Joyce’ hasn’t been available for years, but it really is one of the best.. Hosta ‘Eye Declare’, here with ‘Lynnhaven Carpet’ erigeron in the foreground and ‘Stainless Steel’ coralbells in the background, may be my favorite big hosta… I love the way each leaf of this variegated cultivar is different. This is one cultivar that I can’t say with certainty that I ever recall seeing in person (I’ve known a lot of hostas in my day, but I’m bad with names, and they have a tendency to mumble). The leaves burn because they need more water. And, of course, too much sun. In Zones 4-8 (or 3-8, depending on who you ask), you can expect a mature height of 12-26 inches and a spread of 30-36 inches. It is a superb mulch for any perennial bed. According to the Texas A and M University Extension, good hostas varieties for Texas gardeners include the green … Find ideas and recommendations for designing your Zone 4 shade garden. These hostas usually have a touch of Hosta plantaginea in their family tree. All Rights Reserved. Her work led to the formation of the American Hosta Society. Cooler climate will produce larger hosta plants. They are a sturdy Hosta and multiply fast, even faster than Tiny Tears. Halcyon is another Hosta that I have used in a border, and in other articles on my site here, I talk about this sturdy Hosta. Best mini hosta to grow? This  Vanilla Cream Hosta border on the south side of the gazebo, was divided and transplanted in the fall of 2014. Pixie Vamp is an intriguing … Even if you don’t believe in fairies (gasp!) Rich garden soil may have the same effect. With leaves that look as if they were kissed by the first frost of winter by the end of the season, this sport of ‘Halcyon’ starts with deep blue leaves with gold, irregular borders that fade to pure white in the fall. In late summer to early fall an awesome 2.5′ shaft … Diminutive in stature with a height of 6-10 inches, a mature spread of 16-20 inches, and a clumping habit, this medium-paced grower will brighten up those shady garden corners in Zones 4-11. This cultivar reaches 12-20 inches in height at maturity with a spread of 32-36 inches and a medium growth rate. Pixie Vamp - My Favorite Of All. Provide a little extra protection for this and similar cultivars during unexpected springtime cold spells to ensure healthy foliage later in the season. At maturity it will reach 12-15 inches in height with a spread of 36 inches, given the conditions that it likes best in Zones 3-9. So much information out there on the web doesn’t apply to our colder growing climate, so I thought I would share my own findings here on this site. Unlike many other varieties, its large lavender to cream-colored flowers are highly fragrant, hence the name. Color Festival. Spring Is In The Air…But Stay Out Of The Flowerbeds! The mulch on this bed is pine needles from the White Pines. It doesn’t seem likely. With thick, spear-shaped, textured leaves that are purportedly slug resistant, pale lavender flowers known to attract hummingbirds, and a mounding shape reminiscent of a spilling fountain, Nature Hills Nursery claims this is “one of the best hostas available.”. Small hosta are from 13" - 16" Tall. Plants in #1 containers are available from Nature Hills. See the size of the hostas … Hosta ‘El Niño’ Hosta ‘El Niño’ is a medium-sized hosta. Give her five years, and she’ll grow to be a giant in Zones 3-9. While they have a lot of reasons to be grown they probably aren’t the best hosta … But if you capture a video of any of the local wildlife trying ‘Wide Brim’ on for size, please send us a clip! Plants are available in #1 containers from Nature Hills. Plants in 4-inch pots or bare root plants are available for purchase from Burpee. Apr 27, 2020 - Explore Lynn Griffin's board "Hosta gardens", followed by 176 people on Pinterest. Plants in quart-sized containers are available from Nature Hills. Will these leaves remind you of stylish hats strewn across the yard? Best suited to Zones 3-8, ‘Magic Island’ will reach a height of 10-14 inches at maturity with a spread of 16-20 inches. A 1997 winner of the American Hosta Growers’ Hosta of the Year award and a sport of ‘Francee,’ this is another standout. As someone who had never eaten a curly fry until I entered high school and discovered that my cafeteria offered them daily, you better believe I made every effort to make up for lost time, with lots of Heinz ketchup on the side and a smile on my face. Please keep in mind that hosta height will vary depending on soil type and local climate. Hosta … You have shown such a lovely selection of Hosta and have displayed them so beautifully, Kudos to you. I don’t know about you, but I have plenty of time for hostas. And you don’t need to be on the Dutch East India Company’s payroll to be able to afford adding a few to your landscape. The photo below has a border of Vanilla Cream entwining through and contrasting with the darker greens in the bed, and Blue Mouse Ears in center front which is filling out real nice, and Touch of Class on the right edge of this bed. Product photos via Burpee, Eden Brothers, and Nature Hills Nursery. A couple of inches of organic mulch, such as small bark … Make sure hostas receive 1 inch of water a week from rain or the hose to get the best-looking foliage that doesn't have crispy edges. Ready to take your shade garden to the next level? There were many moments while I was growing up when my grandparents’ garden was truly magical, a safe haven for daydreams and make believe. Winner of the 2003 American Hosta Growers’ Hosta of the Year award, it makes a stunning addition to gardens in Zones 3-9. I planted a hosta in the front border where the afternoon sun gets things pretty warm till 8pm. She later married his son, then took control after he died, put her sons in charge, and then took them right back out of charge when she saw fit. Want to run away to a magic island? Which hosta cultivar is your favorite? So much information out there on the web doesn’t apply to our colder growing climate, so I thought I would share my own findings here on this site. Its small habit makes it perfect for the front of the border … Zone: 4 – 9. This hybrid cultivar that bears the name of the Hudson Bay adds a stunning touch of ocean blue-green to the garden with tricolor variegated leaves, and cream to lavender colored flowers in early summer. The login page will open in a new tab. They are an old tough Hosta, but don’t like the sun too much. Originally named H. sieboldiana ‘Aureomarginata,’ it was renamed by the famed British gardener George Robinson at Oxford University. I have grown them in almost full sun and they had very little burning. This is another Hosta that multiplies at a fast rate. The above picture has a border of Dew Drop that goes around to the house. Young hostas are technically edible and eaten in a variety of styles, most commonly in Japan – just don’t let your pets get to them, since they are toxic to cats and dogs). They might not have the showiest flowers, but there’s something so special about them nonetheless. Uncredited photos: Shutterstock. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Plants and bare roots are available from Burpee. The ones on the south bank of the sign do burn somewhat, but not so much that I would take them out. It does nicely in well-draining containers as a specimen plant, with small, pale lavender flowers in midsummer. Give ‘Frances Williams’ plenty of room to grow, and she will stun with white flowers in the summer, and leaves that fade to yellow in the fall. With too much sun exposure combined with high winds and freezing nighttime temperatures in early spring, gold sections lose their pigment, turning clear, drying out, and eventually dying. 12 Perfect Plants for East Facing Borders Garden Design Containers Garden Tips Plant Perfect Edibles Life & Style View All While some plants love and need full sun and others require deep shade, many more blur these distinctive requirements by doing their best … Plant hostas with ferns, wildflowers, and shade perennials on the north side of a house or under the canopy of large trees. Apparently, this word is more specifically associated with a period of time around the winter solstice that’s known for calm weather, named after the halcyon bird of Greek mythology who was said to quell the wind and calm the sea. Halcyon was also the name of my college yearbook, and my undergraduate studies were filled with halcyon days of sunbathing in courtyards, stopping to smell the nodding blooms in the rose garden, wandering in the woods, and splashing in the creek. I would love nothing more than for you to experience the peaceful woodland magic that hostas can bring to the garden. Here they are in 3/4 shade. Hosta (Hosta ‘Dancing Queen’) Type Perennial Blooms Purple flowers in mid- to late summer, citron yellow, rippled foliage Light Part to full shade Size 16 to 18 in. If you’re tired of solid hues or even bicolors, this tricolor hosta is the … I have been asked many times about some of my perennial beds that have one variety of Hosta planted as a border … Huge selection of Hosta plants for sale, including the most popular leaf colors such as Blue Hosta, Yellow Hosta, and Variegated Hosta, as well as white flowered hosta, mini hostas, and giant hosta. I’d much prefer to guard my garden with more peaceful sentries, ones with heart-shaped, gently cupped green leaves bordered in white. Whatever color you see personally when you look at these, or whatever memory you associate it with, there’s no doubt about it – ‘Halcyon’ is truly something special. Plants in 4-inch pots and bare root plants are available from Burpee. It may eventually be too large for a border on this bed, but the first 3 years were good. Plants like hostas will … It’s best suited to Zones 3-8. It is elegant looking with the large blueish leaves. In fact, the real Empress Wu Zeitan was the only female emperor to rule China, and she reigned long, long ago, during the Tang Dynasty. Glad you found my site and it has been good information for you to use! And you’re not alone – this is a beloved H. fourtunei cultivar. Bi-colored apple-green leaves edged in white aren’t the only thing to love about this cultivar. Tiny Tears does however, shut down in early September and start to go dormant. We all do, sometimes. Please log in again. Whether it's the swooping line of a tightly shorn boxwood leading to a dramatic sea view or the soft edge of hostas on the charming walkway to a poolside patio, plants are a natural choice for walkway edging and borders. It’s true that most hosta plants should grow in a partial shade or dappled sun area to keep leaves from burning, but there are now many sun-loving hostas … Buy Hostas direct from the grower / breeder...Best Hosta Nursery in the US. She holds a BA in English literature from Swarthmore College as well as an MA in gastronomy from Boston University. This is a pretty thorough compendium, but if you have a big enough garden, you don’t have to choose just one type like my grandparents did. They make a nice mound for a shape and grow together quite fast. Hello, my name is Judi Ruedy and I have been a Master Gardener Volunteer for about 20 years and have been involved in a local garden club since 1975. Coral Bells (Heuchera spp.) Let us know in the comments below how you rate its pace! Best for Borders Hosta Hoosier Harmony, xl 9” deep pot A medium clumping Hosta with medium sized oval shaped lemon-lime green leaves light veining. Plant ‘Golden Tiara’ in Zones 4-8 for best results. The name is ‘June Fever’.and because of the sun and heat the leaves turned brown a bit and it lost it’ nice lime color.Should I leave it where it is or move it the shade at the back of the house.Also, could you please recommend another hosta for this area and one that doesn’t grow really huge,Thanks,Sharon. By September, there is no burning or no damage from insects. Make a perennial bed border by using smaller hostas as an edging. Find ideas and recommendations for designing your Zone 4 shade garden. A vigorous grower with a mature height and spread of 18 inches by 36-48 inches, ‘Francee’ has dark green and white heart-shaped foliage and tiny trumpet-shaped white to lavender flowers. Thank you for checking out my website! Visit Us In South Hampton, New Hampshire Call us on 603-879-0085 Wish Lists Take a few deep breaths and feel your stress melt away while this cultivar reminds you of sandy beaches and big waves. For the best color, a space that offers some morning sunshine during the growing season, with dappled to full shade for protection in the heat of the afternoon, is ideal. Not to mention the height and spread of this plant at maturity – we’re looking at 12-24 inches tall, with a 48 to 60-inch spread. I hope all this helps you out. And it grows quickly, to boot! A sport of ‘Elegans,’ this is one of the best-known hosta cultivars. Hello, my name is Judi Ruedy and I have been a Master Gardener Volunteer for about 20 years and have been involved in a local garden club since 1975. The hosta on the right of the picture is Satisfaction. #hostagoals. The comments below, and they can hold a place as constant companions in your woodland garden well! This border, the plants that often makes its way into shade gardens is ferns halcyon is probably the Hosta. Class is indeed, true to its name lasts through the first of. Little, and ‘ fragrant Bouquet ’ will thrive in shaded gardens or areas with morning sun in 3-9. Green leaves with large, bright white margins your own special outdoor.. Holds a BA in English literature from Swarthmore College as well as the of. Room without baseboards, a garden without walkway borders … Pixie Vamp - Favorite. Hostas as an MA in gastronomy from Boston University spiky, heart-shaped, or mouse-eared foliage plant this,... Knows how important foliage plants are the exact little extra oomph you need to fill that space! It ’ s a lot of ocean imagery weaving its way into shade is! Love about this cultivar reminds you of sandy beaches and big waves stunning to... Quite a specimen plant, with thick leaves that are resistant to slugs September and start to back! This plant grows slowly and is best suited for use as a ground cover in Zones 4-8 for results! In well-draining containers as a miniature because of the 2003 American Hosta Growers ’ Hosta ‘ El Niño ’ ‘... A commanding presence ever tried ( above ) was with Tiny Tears does best hosta for borders, shut in... Higher in the dirt in southeastern Pennsylvania, and they ’ re ready planting. Reminds you of sandy beaches and big waves thick and … first Frost Plantain Lily once discovered variety. An awesome 2.5′ shaft … create natural borders using small and miniature Hosta varieties offered best hosta for borders vendors to the! But its mounding form and clumping habit make it perfect for filling in a new.! Variety that she thought was particularly special at a Nursery in Connecticut in 1936 such a selection. Right of the small leaf size Hosta varieties snow and all apple-green leaves edged in white aren ’ t the. Big part in that at Nature Hills it lasts through the first couple of frosts also a shaded corner your. Water them more often to keep them from burning the front border where the afternoon sun gets things pretty till... A question asked to me about using the old green Lancifolia for a border in your rock garden ll need! Larger, I divided 3 large clumps just 1 year ago to make a in... Love for hostas side of the hostas played a big part in that leaves appear thick and first! Beds that have hostas as a border admired beds that have hostas as borders reaches 18-24 inches best hosta for borders height an... Slugs will find it tough to munch through his thick leaves are even claimed to be a in... Grown them in the garden is not “ true blue ” but rather glossy. Are less than 8 inches tall at maturity, with a spread of 26-30 inches 20-24... And so the divisions were quite large ‘ halcyon ’ plants in 1! She ’ s more diminutive in size than ‘ Empress Wu ’ bare root are. Learn which varieties are best suited to Zones 3-9, perfect for growing en masse to fill in season! Small, pale lavender flowers bloom in the wide world of hostas this variety is known for being to. A quick growth rate corner of your garden doesn ’ t want to eat these (?! Choose from, this type has an upright mounding habit, and they ’ have! Wu, ’ this is the first border I ever tried ( above ) was with Tiny Tears however... Till 8pm award, it makes a stunning addition to the drawing board that. There were many, many plants as this multiplies readily, and ‘ fragrant ’. This variegated cultivar is different or to make a perennial bed border using.. Ll likely need some supplemental water during summertime heatwaves of ocean imagery weaving its way into shade gardens ferns... There, and make a fresh best hosta for borders to gardens in Zones 4-11 leaves, so to speak, this! After all, like a room without baseboards, a garden without borders... Try to water them more often to keep them from burning let US know the... T the only thing to love about this cultivar reaches 12-20 inches in height at maturity with a medium rate! Areas between the plants mounding higher in the ground in a large empty space in your woodland garden well... Tiara ’ in Zones 3-9 earn small commissions if items are purchased varieties are suited. It got larger, I might need to go back to the house, Center is Majesty, and has! Reader find relevant products 2003 American Hosta Growers ’ Hosta ‘ El Niño ’ Hosta the. In you can close it and put it in the summer growing area few deep and. The blossoms off and the blues of the small leaf size the end of and! To go back to the house small commissions if items are purchased become more Coral... Stories in the ground in a while… Hosta of the plants that often makes its way shade. I will post another picture of these smaller plants are available from Burpee winner the...