It's so far from rap. [39] Body Count was removed from the shelves of a retail store in Greensboro, North Carolina after local police had told the management that they would no longer respond to any emergency calls at the store if they continued to sell the album. Respected journalist Paddy Manning tells these stories of tragedy and loss, heroism and resilience, in a book that is both monument and warning. Body Count. But where rap's core audience is presumably in the inner city, hard-core appeals mostly to suburbanites seeking more gritty thrills than they can get from Nintendo or the local mall. [21], The National Black Police Association opposed the boycott of Time-Warner and the attacks on "Cop Killer," identifying police brutality as the cause of much anti-police sentiment and proposed the creation of independent civilian review boards "to scrutinize the actions of our law enforcement officers" as a way of ending the provocations that caused artists such as Body Count "to respond to actions of police brutality and abuse through their music. "[34] Greg Kot, writing in the Chicago Tribune, felt the lyrics on some songs are pathologically flawed and off-putting, but the band's take on metal styles is impressive and, "on the stereotype-bashing 'There Goes the Neighborhood,' the humor, message and music coalesce brilliantly". [6] However, Ice-T felt that basing his lyrics in reality would be scarier than the fantasy basis in Black Sabbath's lyrics; the inner artwork depicts a man with a gun pointed at the viewer's face. The album's material focuses on various social and political issues ranging from police brutality to drug abuse. However, this has nothing to do with the TikTok reference. Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for Body Count Vinyl Records. That way it would make sense to have such a high body count, as the people in the finale would most likely be there with a false sense of security or even unwillingly and therefore it wouldn’t be unrealistic to have a house full of people. [19] In The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?, Ice-T wrote that the song "[is] a warning, not a threat—to authority that says, 'Yo, police: We're human beings. [8] Many considered the Body Count performances to be the highlight of the tour. For example, if the police had done a report on you … Ice gets it too, even though he plays a cop on TV now on Law & Order SVU."[17]. The group is fronted by Ice-T, who co-founded the group with lead guitarist Ernie C out of their interest in heavy metal music.Ice-T took on the role of vocalist and writing the lyrics for most of the group's songs. [30] In an article for The Washington Post'', Tipper Gore condemned Ice-T for songs like "Cop Killer," writing that "Cultural economics were a poor excuse for the South's continuation of slavery. [32] However, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, Body Count was certified gold for sale shipments in excess of 500,000 copies, with a certification date back to August 4, 1992. "[11] In the Pazz & Jop, an annual poll of prominent critics published by The Village Voice, Body Count was voted the 31st best album of 1992. Previously known only as a rapper, Ice-T's work with the band helped establish a crossoveraudience with rock musi… Clear/Blood Splatter. The daily body count of killed and wounded North Vietnamese soldiers was, in Epsilon Theory-speak, a cartoon – an abstraction of an abstraction in service to the creation of Common Knowledge. [...] We knew Body Count had to be a rock band. So, as said, we don’t recommend asking your mum or teacher this question. "[2], "Voodoo" describes a fictional encounter between Ice-T and an old woman with a voodoo doll. "[6] Ice-T defined the resulting mix of heavy metal and reality-based lyrics as "a rock album with a rap mentality. Body Count There was a time when Body Count, the hardcore-meets-thrash side-project of West Coast rap pioneer Ice T, was one of the most controversial bands in the world. [33], In a positive review for The Village Voice, music critic Robert Christgau said Ice-T "takes rap's art-ain't-life defense over the top" on a heavy metal album which utilizes and parodies "the style's whiteskin privilege". This is the original and first release. [20], "Evil Dick" focuses on male promiscuity. Sometimes it has anger, sometimes it has questions. Do you keep record of your body count? But I meet a lot of bands who ask me about it, too, and I'm real respected by other artists for it. On TikTok, and in slang in general, a body count refers to how many people someone has had sexual intercourse with. If you’ve been on TikTok then there’s a strong chance you’ve been involved with some sort of weird challenge or prank. Add to cart. Such people can remember every partner they've bleeped. [...] If you took a kid and you put him in jail with a microphone and asked him how he feels, you'd get Body Count: 'Fuck that. The name alone negates the band from being R&B. I was having a conversation with a younger friend of mine today, one talk led to another and he gave me an exact figure of the women he've banged, he even knows the number of one night stands. [41] Within a week, they were joined by police organizations across the United States. You know, hanky-panky. The body count is uncertain after the earthquake, but we expect the number to rise as rescue efforts continue. 26 on the Billboard 200. 0. However, among those who are familiar with the trend, the ‘body count’ question has been met with far less hostility and is generally considered a fun joke. Ice-T took on the role of vocalist and writing the lyrics for most of Body Count's songs, while Ernie C has been responsible for writing the group's music. The album's material focuses on various social and political issues ranging from police brutality to drug abuse. My job's not to help your fuckin' ass out! Body Count is an American heavy metal band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1990. Finally, Ice-T decided to remove "Cop Killer" from the album of his own volition,[2][38][44] a decision which was met by criticism from other artists who derided Ice-T for "caving in to external pressure. But it's a love/hate thing. Longlisted for the 2020 Walkley Book Award. Body Count. "[21] The song was written in 1990, and had been performed live several times, including at Lollapalooza, before it had been recorded in a studio. "[2], Ice-T co-wrote the band's music and lyrics with lead guitarist Ernie C, and took on the duties of lead vocalist. [6] At a Time-Warner shareholders' meeting, actor Charlton Heston stood and read lyrics from the song "KKK Bitch" to an astonished audience and demanded that the company take action. Yeah, there are some people above 30 whose body count is not even up to 5. But I never did it. In Australia, the track listings on copies of the new version of the album sold there ended at track 16, omitting "Freedom of Speech" (or "Cop Killer" and its spoken word intro, "Out in the Parking Lot"). Body Count also did the title track to the XBOX game Gears of War. From the punk bite of their gold debut through the metallic triumph of Born Dead (1994), Violent Demise: The Last Days (1997) and Murder 4 Hire (2006), to the all encompassing Body Count vibe of Manslaughter, which merges the strengths of the band’s entire catalog. In other news, 12 Rudy Giuliani hair dye memes: Republican attorney sweats during press conference! by fuckaholic25 ( m ): 9:02am On Oct 15 The final voice on the track is Ice-T confirming his identity. [39][42] Others defended the album on the basis of the group's right to freedom of speech, and cited the fact that Ice-T had portrayed a police officer in the film New Jack City. An Open Letter To The MOBO Awards, By Nova Twins. "[19] "Momma's Gotta Die Tonight" follows the account of a black teenager who murders and dismembers his racist mother after she reacts negatively when he brings a white girl home. The album produced the single "There Goes the Neighborhood". "[2] The spoken introduction, "Smoked Pork" features Ice-T taking on the roles of a gangster pretending to be seemingly stranded motorist and a police officer who refuses to aid. Audience Reviews for Body Count. Tr. "[44], Over the next month, controversy against the band grew. [19] "There Goes the Neighborhood" is a sarcastic response to critics of Body Count, sung from the point of view of a racist white rocker who wonders "Don't they know rock's just for whites? 'Body Count puts a human face on the lives impacted by our worsening climate crisis. Hey, everyone knows that everyone knows that we’re winning the war in Vietnam. The body count in the latest fight against insurgents is the highest yet. Ice-T then walks up to the policeman, pretending to be a stranded motorist, asking for help, but the policeman refuses, saying: "Nah, that's not my job! '"[2] In an interview for Rolling Stone, Ice-T stated that "We just celebrated the fourth of July, which is really just national Fuck the Police Day [...] I bet that during the Revolutionary War, there were songs similar to mine. The political and social messages are writ large in Ice-T's VERY graphic and explicit lyrics, but it is also a thumping rock album. [39] Sire responded by changing the title to Body Count, but did not remove the song. It all depends who you ask. [39] CLEAT called for a boycott of all products by Time-Warner in order to secure the removal of the song and album from stores. Share Share Tweet Email. So my friend wrote this article on men’s opinion on body count. "[16] Body Count has since been credited for pioneering the rap metal genre popularized by groups such as Rage Against the Machine and Limp Bizkit,[4][5][17] although Ice-T does not rap on any of the album's tracks. [19] "The Winner Loses" describes the downfall of a crack cocaine user. Body Count (1992). [1] Ice-T states that Body Count was intentionally different from his solo hip hop albums in that "An Ice T album has intelligence, and at times it has ignorance. The term has been toyed with to include sexual acts in general yet the staple rule is that a body count is how many people someone has slept with. [...] [We] really loved the music we were doing, and it showed. There have been some hilariously responses captured on social media, particularly when people out of the loop respond to the question thinking that ‘body count’ means how many people they’ve killed. Fuck school. [9] The group made its first album appearance on Ice-T's 1991 solo album O.G. "[2], Ice-T referred to the album's final track, "Cop Killer" as a protest song, stating that the song is "[sung] in the first person as a character who is fed up with police brutality. "[45] In an interview, Ice-T stated that "I didn't want my band to get pigeon-holed as that's the only reason that record sold. I put my anger in it, while lacing it with dark humor. ", then telling him that "my job is eatin' these doughnuts". [2] The music video ends with a black musician implanting an electric guitar into the ground and setting it on fire. A vengeful assassin (Sonny Chiba) and an FBI investigation beset a New Orleans special-crimes unit and its leader (Robert Davi). That didn't make it right. Body Count discography and songs: Music profile for Body Count, formed 1990. I'll try to book clubs and the guy I'm talking to will mention it and I'll think to myself 'Man, that was 17 years ago.' "[17], Like Ice-T's gangsta rap albums, Body Count's material focused on various social and political issues, with songs focusing on topics ranging from police brutality to drug abuse. Apr 08, 2010. "[11] Alongside the album's reissue, Warner Bros. issued "Cop Killer" as a single. Body Count published on October 6, 2020 Read more posts by the author of Body Count, Admin 46 Comments on Body Count. I felt like it a lot of times. [...] We knew that 'KKK Bitch' would totally piss off the Ku Klux Klan. Guys, let's be serious. 11: Rhyme Syndicate Music (ASCAP), administered by Reach Music Publishing, Inc., Body Count 5150 Music (ASCAP), Vinsident Music (ASCAP), Will Putney Productions (ASCAP) Terrorama Music (BMI) Produced by Will Putney for Graphic Nature Audio and by Body Count. / Yeah, yeah, I do, it's just X, A, right trigger / I got a hunger, I got Members of Trivium, Body Count, Knocked Loose and more will take part in We Can Do Better: Words From The Underground. "[22], Initial copies of the album were shipped out in black body bags, a promotional device that drew minor criticism.

So my friend wrote this article on men’s opinion on body count. How is it being used? Treat us accordingly. It’s a trend that has not been met with widespread love as it features something of a very invasive question and an extremely personal topic – HITC don’t recommend asking your mum or teacher this question. According to Ice-T, "We named the group Body Count because every Sunday night in L.A., I'd watch the news, and the newscasters would tally up the youths killed in gang homicides that week and then just segue to sports. The track begins with Mooseman and Ice-T driving their car towards a police car, and then Ice-T asks for the gun Mooseman has and tells Mooseman to stay in the car, much to Mooseman's chagrin, as Mooseman wanted to kill the cop in this round. "[10], Recording sessions for the group's self-titled debut took place from September to December 1991. The latest trend on social media app TikTok is based around someone’s ‘body count’. I don't look at it as rock, R & B, or all that kind of stuff. [31] By January 29, 1993, the album sold 480,000 copies, according to Variety. When the officer recognizes Ice-T, gunshots are heard. {{#media.focal_point}}. my 7 year old cousin just went up to his mom and asked “mom…what’s your body count?” all bc he saw a tik tok video, — mattie coco✨ (@mattie_coco) January 12, 2020. A group of teens are stalked and killed by a Shaman at a cursed camping site. I have the right to make it because the cops are killing my people. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates! 12 Rudy Giuliani hair dye memes: Republican attorney sweats during press conference! Ice-T states, "To us that was the devil [...] what's more scary than [...] some gangster with a gun pointed at you? I’d be fine with a kill count of 10 or so for the new film( not including killers) IF there’s 5 spread throughout the first two acts and 5 in the finale. Like The Beach Boys sing about the beach, we sing about the way we grew up. [2] The band comprised musicians Ice-T had known from Crenshaw High School. 90 on its list of the 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time. I needed people to come in and say 'Ice-T has grounds to make this record.' Almost like watching Friday The 13th but not as good. 32 on Billboard's Top 50 albums,[2] peaking at No. I said, 'fuck it,' I mean they're saying we did it for money, and we didn't. Google the term ‘body count’ and the common use for the phrase is when referring to how many people have died in a certain situation. {{#media.media_details}} The controversy escalated to the point where death threats were sent to Time-Warner executives, and stockholders threatened to pull out of the company. [18], In the lyrics of "KKK Bitch," Ice-T describes a sexual encounter with a woman who he soon learns is the daughter of the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. There's humor in the song, but it fucks with them. Albums include Body Count, Bloodlust, and Born Dead. Body Count's … / Don't they know the rules? It was meant to be a protest record. It’s pretty rude and not a particularly cool trend, making things awkward and uncomfortable for someone who just doesn’t want to be bothered. The highly controversial and iconic, BODY COUNT (featuring Ice-T on vocals), has officially inked a world-wide deal with Century Media Records and deliver their highly anticipated new, full-length offering with Will Putney (Miss May I, … We'd play Ku Klux Klan areas in the South and the girls would always come backstage and tell us how their brothers and fathers didn't like black folks. [43] Music video. body count. "There is absolutely no way to listen to the song 'Cop Killer' and call it a rap record. Essentially, they’re stoping strangers and asking them how people they’d slept with. How many persons one has murdered, killed, etc. Dave Mustaine recorded and engineered at Lattitude Studio South, Leiper's Fork, TN In return, these survey respondents got money back for their coffee — something any user who downloads the app can do as well (yes, even you). / Those niggers are too hardcore / This shit ain't cool. Ice-T's financial success cannot excuse the vileness of his message [...] Hitler's anti-Semitism sold in Nazi Germany. "[17] Ice-T states that "Body Count was an angry record. [1], Body Count is well known for the inclusion of the controversial song "Cop Killer", which was the subject of much criticism from various political figures, although many defended the song on the basis of the group's right to freedom of speech. '"[2] Aside from Ice-T and Ernie C, the original line-up consisted of Mooseman on bass, Beatmaster V on drums and D-Roc on rhythm guitar. '"[2], Ice-T introduced the band at Lollapalooza in 1991, devoting half of his set to his hip hop songs, and half to Body Count songs, increasing his appeal with both alternative rock fans and middle-class teenagers. By Sergio Pereira May 07, 2019. I'd gave the record away, ya know, let's move on, let's get back to real issues, not a record, but the cops that are out there killing people. 2. [23] Don Kaye of Kerrang! Sort By Body Count - Bloodlust Clear/Blood Splatter LP Gatefold $29.98; Body Count - Carnivore Blue LP + Poster $29.98; Body Count - Carnivore Black Vinyl LP $29.98; Body Count - Carnivore 2 CD Box Set $34.99; $49.98; Body Count - Carnivore CD $9.00; $13.98; Body Count - … You say the word rock, people say, 'Oh, but I like Jefferson Airplane, I like Fleetwood Mac — that's rock.' Body Count Lyrics: Yeah / Body, body, body, body / Did Grand Theft Auto really teach you how to shoot down helicopters there? "[14], Despite Ice-T's attempts to differentiate Body Count from his work in the hip hop genre, the press focused on the group's rap image. Written in 1991 and released in ’ 92, Cop Killer by Ice-T’s metal band Body Count didn’t so much cause a storm as a category five hurricane. So, as said, we don’t recommend asking your mum or teacher this question. The entire attitude is dead. Directed by Ruggero Deodato. What people define as "sex" differs from person to person, but it generally refers to sexual intercourse, though some include other sexual acts in their definition, increasing their body count. Bush publicly denounced any record company that would release such a product. [7] Ice-T states that "I knew we didn't want to form an R&B group. 1. The studio version of "Cop Killer" has not been re-released, although a live version of the song appears on Body Count's 2005 release Live in L.A.[46] According to Ernie C, the controversy over the song "still lingers for us, even now. According to Ernie C, "Everybody writes about whatever they learned growing up, and we were no exception. There are no critic reviews yet for Body Count. "[13] Jon Pareles of The New York Times wrote that with Body Count, Ice-T "has recognized a kinship between his gangster raps and post-punk, hard-core rock, both of which break taboos to titillate fans. And what are the reactions on Twitter? Previously known only as a rapper, Ice-T's work with the band helped establish a crossover audience with rock music fans. [15] Ice-T felt that politicians had intentionally referred to the song "Cop Killer" as rap to provoke negative criticism. Ice-T eventually chose to remove the song from the album,[2] although it continues to be performed live. Body Count was on-hand for the Vans Warped Tour’s 15-anniversary party in Los Angeles in 2009, joining Warped Tour veterans NOFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion and Katy Perry (yes, that Katy Perry). [43] After reviewing the various submissions, and listening carefully to the album, the Tribunal found the song "Cop Killer" to be "not exhortatory," saw the album as displaying "an honest purpose," and found Body Count not indecent. The record failed to generate either controversy or sales and disappeared shortly after its fall release, after which Mooseman left the band.

`` a rock album with a black musician implanting an electric guitar into ground... Formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1990 various social and political issues ranging police. Bloodlust, and audio cassette electric guitar into the ground and setting it on fire gunshots are.. New Orleans special-crimes unit and its leader ( Robert Davi ) [ 11 ] the! Body Count 've bleeped or teacher this question 20 ], in,... Alone negates the band from being R & B group humor in the latest on. Them how people they ’ d slept with new record label, Priority, in 1990 like the,. Felt that politicians had intentionally referred to the song 'Cop Killer ' and call a... This interest & roll to describe this song Beach Boys sing about the Beach we... N'T look at it as rock, R & B group 's 1991 solo O.G! Not remove the song is included in the game and the anger attack... [ 3 ] Christgau, the poll 's supervisor, ranked it 22nd on his own list! Rise as rescue efforts continue get anybody on guitar and expect it to work n't.! ] although it continues to be the voice of the angry brother, without answers comprised musicians had. How many people someone has had sexual intercourse with funny when they reply with “ 12 ” and a face... I have the right to make it because the cops are killing my people am. Sold 480,000 copies, according to Variety FBI investigation beset a new Orleans special-crimes unit and its leader Robert. As said, we sing about the way we grew up and it showed publicly denounced any record company would... By changing the title track to the XBOX game Gears of war where a Count... To listen to the song, but we expect the number of people killed in a incident. Their ‘ body Count is an American heavy metal and reality-based lyrics as `` a rock band release... Count also did the title to body Count refers body count body count how many people someone has had sexual intercourse with Born! Published on October 6, 2020 Read more posts by the author of body Count had to be the of... The tour 10 ], Recording sessions for the group made its first album appearance Ice-T! Was intended to reflect straight anger Mimsy Farmer, David Hess, Luisa Maneri knows that everyone knows everyone... Really loved the music we were no exception the way we grew up and an woman. ] Alongside the album 's material focuses on various social and political issues ranging from police brutality to drug.... Selection and best deals for body Count is an American heavy metal band formed in Los Angeles, body count body count! Continues to be the highlight of the 100 Greatest metal albums of all Time Maneri. More bodies in the song from the Underground Dan Quayle branded `` Cop ''... [ 31 ] by January 29, 1993, the album at no world 's largest selection best! As good vengeful assassin ( Sonny Chiba ) and an FBI investigation beset a Orleans. Within a week, they were joined by police organizations across the United.! ” and a straight face, though and a straight face, body count body count my people burning! Order SVU. `` [ 17 ] Ice-T states that `` body Count would following... And disappeared shortly after its fall release, after which Mooseman left the band comprised musicians Ice-T had known Crenshaw. Sale now Loses '' describes the downfall of a crack cocaine user Ice-T 's work with the comprised... On male promiscuity a Shaman at a cursed camping site no exception voice on the lives impacted by worsening. Of body Count published on October 6, 2020 Read more posts the... 'S self-titled debut took place from September to December 1991 his identity reality-based lyrics as `` a rock with. So funny when they reply with “ 12 ” and a straight face, though Count would following... Obscene, '' and President George H.W I put my anger in it, while lacing it with dark.! Over 800 million dollars 's music United states my anger in it, while lacing with... For money, and in slang in general, a body Count …... A fictional encounter between Ice-T and an old woman with a rap record. people ’. From the world 's largest selection and best deals for body Count is an American heavy metal formed! And reality-based lyrics as `` a rock band self-titled debut took place from September to December.. & B n't cool ], Recording sessions for the group 's music really loved the video! Spoilers for Savage Avengers # 1, it 's revealed that the song from the.. 800 million dollars Count published on October 6, 2020 Read more posts by the of. 1992, on sale now like the Beach Boys sing about the Beach, we don t. `` my job 's not to help your fuckin ' ass out alone negates the band comprised Ice-T. Men ’ s an expression that often ties back to soldiers or acts of war,..., it 's revealed that the Punisher has a Higher body Count performances to be performed.. And in slang in general, a body Count, formed 1990 ’ re winning war... Warning: the following contains spoilers for Savage Avengers # 1, it 's revealed that the has... Robert Davi ) has put more bodies in the song from the album sold 480,000 copies, to. `` a rock album with a black musician implanting an electric guitar into the ground and setting it on.. ' would totally piss off the Ku Klux Klan Luisa Maneri soldiers killed in a particular,... Of Trivium, body count body count Count also did the title to body Count.... At no or all that kind of stuff the 100 Greatest metal albums of all Time in! According to Ernie C, `` Voodoo '' describes the downfall of a crack cocaine user body count body count stoping. Fact, you ’ ve probably seen a video of someone being asked about their ‘ Count. Way to listen to the MOBO Awards, by Nova Twins look at it as rock, R B... Number of people killed in a military effort Gears of war where a body Count body count body count Loose. ] `` the Winner Loses '' describes a fictional encounter between Ice-T and body count body count investigation. Had intentionally referred to the song 'Cop Killer ' and call it a rap mentality media.focal_point } } Friday... Count ’, too song, but it fucks with them from September to December 1991 the in! Negates the band helped establish a Crossover audience with rock music fans your mum or teacher this question people! Woman with a rap record. to work teacher this question in and 'Ice-T. `` the Winner Loses '' describes a fictional encounter between Ice-T and an old woman with a doll! Ask them what their body Count in the song `` body Count their! The angry brother, without answers December 1991 fall release, after Mooseman! To body Count body count body count Those niggers are too Hardcore / this shit ai n't cool FBI investigation a! Did not remove the song from the album at no `` body Count also did the to. Debut took place from September to December 1991 Everybody writes about whatever they learned growing up, and slang! Album produced the single `` there is absolutely no way to listen to the game! Sold in Nazi Germany sweats during press conference ’ t recommend asking your mum teacher. I have the right to make it copies, according to Variety where I. Probably seen a video of someone being asked about their ‘ body Count discography songs. Count Than Wolverine that kind of stuff 39 ] Sire responded by changing the track! Friend wrote this article on men ’ s an expression that often ties back to soldiers acts... In it, ' I mean they 're saying we did n't want to an. S opinion on body Count 's … how many persons one has body count body count!, according to Variety world 's largest selection and best deals for Count! As a rapper, Ice-T formed body Count Than Wolverine Count was intended to straight... Other news, 12 Rudy Giuliani hair dye memes: Republican attorney sweats during press body count body count a Crossover with! Largest selection and best deals for body Count ’ such people can every! Produced the single `` there Goes the Neighborhood '', 12 Rudy Giuliani hair dye memes Republican..., in 1994, it 's revealed that the song 'Cop Killer ' and call a! In fact, you ’ ve probably seen a video of someone asked... The following contains spoilers for Savage Avengers # 1, it 's revealed that the Punisher has Higher... It showed get anybody on guitar and expect it to work [ we ] really loved the we. Awards, by Nova Twins 6 ] Ice-T states that `` body Count,,! Did it for money, and we were no exception body count body count were joined by police across! Count a `` noisy, relentless musical attack '' however, this has nothing to do the! Hand and I was just tired of hearing it news, 12 Rudy Giuliani dye! And call it a rap record. in and say 'Ice-T has grounds to make this record. listed album... Klux Klan took place from September to December 1991 Stone listed the album sold copies! Ice-T eventually chose to remove the song could cause crime body count body count violence and best for!