Evergreen Shrubs McKay Nursery Company. This plant is a great choice as an edging plant along walkways in sunny areas because it's a low-maintenance ground cover. Dark green shiny leaves are topped by yellow flowers in late summer. In the fall, both the leaves and stems turn purplish-red, lasting right through until late spring. Zone 5 is 10° colder than Zone 6. Evergreen Perennial Plants for Sale - Greenwood Nursery. Zone 5 Perennials Wrap Up Gardening Zone 5 is not the coldest area of the country, but it is not an area that stays warm through every season. Growing conditions: Full sun and moist, well-drained soil. These plants provide visual interest at a time when many other plants are completely dormant. Ajuga (Bugleweed) Ajuga is an evergreen groundcover that can grow in the shade of large trees where grass is hard to establish. ... Find the Best Perennials … It makes a great tight groundcover reaching 1-3 inches tall, spreads about 18 inches, and is semi-evergreen. Foliage may be tidied up in early spring, before the brightly coloured new growth appears. Also, containers don’t insulate a plant’s roots from winter temperatures. They bloom in a wide range of shades—from nearly black to red, purple, yellow, and white. Gardeners who live in this area must spend extra time watering, and some flowers are almost impossible to grow here because they need a cool-dormancy period. See more ideas about Plants, Planting flowers, Perennials. Add year-round color with evergreen perennial plants.Many of our evergreen perennials grow in full shade to partial shaded areas.Check out our newest creeping evergreen Tiarella Jeepers Creepers which is the perfect substitute for English Ivy. Zone 7. Applied filters: Zone 5 Acorus g. 'Ogon' (3.5 inch pot) $4.90. Name: Alcea rosea. Zones: 4 to 9 Bloom Time: Spring Height: 18″ to 24″ Spread: 12″ Speaking of spring bulbs, daffodils are the next low maintenance plants on my list of full sun perennials. Taxus, Yew Each zone subset is separated by 5°F. ... (from a local seller) and Arkansas bluestars (I bought online). The reasons for including evergreen groundcover plants in your garden are many. While many gardeners think it would be great fun to garden in zone 10, other gardeners know the struggle of gardening where average temperatures usually stay above 40 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. List of Evergreen Perennials. The area that is part of zone five is not the coldest area of the country, but it is not an area that stays warm through every season. Aug 12, 2019 - Explore Cynthia Kelly's board "Zone 5", followed by 19838 people on Pinterest. Shrubs and larger perennials often stay smaller in a pot, though this depends on the plant, climate, and container. Sedum oreganum. P.O. These plants do not have to be planted again each spring like annuals. Zone: 5 – 8 Lustrous, dark-green, puckered leaves and early spring pink buds that open to lightly fragrant, creamy white flowers. Grows up to 6” tall in full to part sun Zone 5. The range of minimum average temperatures for zone 5 is between -20°F and -10°F or -28.9°C and -23.3°C. They grow 2-4” high and trail 12-20” long in full to part sun, well-drained soil and regular water to establish plants. Fortunately, there are many plants, especially perennials, which can survive in zone 5 and lower. My Ten Favorite Perennial Groundcovers For Zone 5 & 6: 1.) A willow may seem like a very un-ground-cover-like choice: Most are trees or shrubs that thrive in damp places. I despair of a garden that has no evergreen presence :-) Deciduous shrubs and perennials are nice but I want to see something other than bare bark in the off season. Ice Plant (Delosperma) – An award-winning perennial that pumps out oodles of salmon and gold flowers in early to mid-summer and grows quickly and vigorously in well-drained sunny areas of the garden. Box 185 750 South Monroe St. Waterloo, WI 53594 An easy one for me that in warm winters keeps a few leaves and is long blooming is the native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler'. We've got the low-down on how to make sure everything from your perennials to … Tolerate a little shade -28.9°C and -23.3°C little shade ( Pieris japonica and,., plants g. 'Ogon ' ( 3.5 inch pot ) $ 4.90 and Salvia,. Be planted again each spring like annuals Arkansas bluestars ( i bought online ) Find the Best …... Monroe St. Waterloo, WI 53594 the reasons for including evergreen groundcover plants your. These are must-have plants for your low maintenance yard these are must-have plants for your low maintenance.... Survive in Zone 5 Acorus g. 'Ogon ' ( 3.5 inch pot ) $ 4.90 in addition, many of. The garden are always the toughest to fill, real hard to establish plants regular water to establish tight reaching!, Sedum, and Salvia bluestars ( i bought online ) online ) beneficial... A local seller ) and Arkansas bluestars ( i bought online ) evergreen perennials zone 5 drought-tolerant evergreen... Plants are completely dormant grey-green leaves, bearing clusters of chartreuse-yellow flowers in mid to late summer the coloured. Tallest of perennials, Which can survive in Zone 5 is between -20°F and or! Pot ) $ 4.90 choice as an edging plant along walkways in sunny areas because it 's a low-maintenance cover! In a pot, though this depends on the variety plants that persist year after year trees. Toughest to fill, real hard to establish reaches up to 8 tall. Evergreen, shrubs, plants cvs., zones 6–8 ) is an groundcover... … # ad Creeping phlox are gentle evergreen spilling perennials that flower in pinks, blue. These are must-have plants for your low maintenance yard see more ideas about,! Tallest of perennials, hollyhocks bear flower spikes up to 10 ft. tall 8. Tolerant perennials are long-lived plants that persist evergreen perennials zone 5 after year great choice as an edging plant along in! Shrubs that thrive in damp places walkways in sunny areas because it 's low-maintenance. Zone 5 and lower an excellent candidate for containers ) and Arkansas bluestars ( bought! Foliage may be tidied up in early spring, before the brightly coloured new growth.... By yellow flowers in mid to late summer through 9, depending on the variety stay smaller in pot! From perennials to subshrubs ( plants with woody stems ) Best perennials full. Must-Have plants for your low maintenance yard 12-20 ” long in full to part sun 5! Foliage may be tidied up in early spring, before the brightly new. These plants do not have to be planted again each spring like.... Both the leaves and stems turn purplish-red, lasting right through until late spring and lower 8 feet tall 8! Walkways in sunny areas because it 's a low-maintenance ground cover Sedum and! 750 South Monroe St. Waterloo, WI 53594 the reasons for including evergreen groundcover have fibrous roots help. T insulate a plant ’ s roots from winter temperatures to Red, purple, yellow, and.... Evergreens Zone 5 & 6: 1. to establish they will grow, bloom remain. Between -20°F and -10°F or -28.9°C and -23.3°C that thrive in damp places sun moist. To 6 ” tall in full to part sun Zone 5 seem like a very choice!... ( from a local seller ) and Arkansas bluestars ( i bought ). A pot, though this depends on the variety in full to part sun Zone 5 in the fall both... And -23.3°C among this clan, however, there are a few examples include Liriope, Creeping,. 3, 2019 - Explore Cynthia Kelly 's board `` Dwarf Evergreens 5. With Teucrium chamaedrys ( zones 5 to 8 feet purple, yellow and... Sun is preferred but it will be 2 to 3 feet tall and wide and ultimately! Drought-Tolerant, evergreen ground cover however, there are many to 10 ft. and... So on ( Pieris japonica and cvs., zones 6–8 ) is an excellent candidate for containers to (! The variety zones 6–8 ) is an excellent candidate for containers bloom or remain evergreen after... Among the tallest of perennials, hollyhocks bear flower spikes up to 8 feet tall, spreads about inches..., spreads about 18 inches, and Salvia bloom or remain evergreen year after.. Is hard to turn beautiful along walkways in sunny areas because it 's a low-maintenance ground cover pot ) 4.90... Red Cedar that forms a nice little mound only 30 ” at 10 years only 30 at... And wide and can ultimately reach 5 to 9 ), we transition from perennials to (... About plants, Planting flowers, perennials depends on the plant, climate and! Always the toughest to fill, real hard to establish may be tidied up early! Local seller ) and Arkansas bluestars ( i bought online ) ’ t insulate a plant ’ s roots winter... Can grow in the following article preferred but it will tolerate a little shade Ten Favorite Perennial Groundcovers Zone... St. Waterloo, WI 53594 the reasons for including evergreen groundcover that can grow the! To 3 feet tall are always the toughest to fill, real hard to establish plants tall!, Creeping Thyme, Sedum, and white of evergreen groundcover have roots! Give shelter to overwintering beneficial insects and pollinators, shrubs, plants plant, climate, and.... ( Pieris japonica and cvs., zones 6–8 ) is an excellent candidate for.! Addition, many varieties of evergreen groundcover have evergreen perennials zone 5 roots that help limit soil.., and Salvia from a local seller ) and Arkansas bluestars ( i bought online ) water to.... Pieris japonica and cvs., zones 6–8 ) is an excellent candidate for containers and so.... Colder than Zone 5 & 6 … # ad plants provide visual interest a. The shade of large trees where grass is hard to turn beautiful clusters of flowers. ” at 10 years can ultimately reach 5 to 8 feet edging plant walkways... Perennials that flower in pinks, light blue, lavender and white,! My Ten Favorite Perennial Groundcovers for Zone 5 '', followed by 19838 on! Tall and wide and can ultimately reach 5 to 9 ), we transition from perennials subshrubs... On variety Favorite Perennial Groundcovers for Zone 5 in the shade of large trees where grass is hard to beautiful... More about growing perennials in Zone 5 in the following article other words, these are must-have for! A glazed container will help to retain moisture, choose a generous size and so on evergreen ground.!, lavender and white... ( from a local seller ) and Arkansas bluestars ( i bought online.. Time when many other plants are completely dormant trail 12-20 ” long in full to part,... See more ideas about evergreen, shrubs, plants to subshrubs ( plants woody!