It's a push (almost a climb) to the top, but well worth it. The tallest … Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. Contact khc@kamloopshikingclub.net to have this hike location edited or to submit a new trail. Thanks Kailyn! Loads of water and bug spray Needle Peak - Flatiron Hike Hiking trail in Coquihalla, British Columbia (Canada). I like that you can choose your own adventure and it sounds like you made a good choice. Canada day long weekend trip up to the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area. Needle Peak Hike Intro. There is some boulder hopping to get to the top and a 10 foot cliff climb (not vertical, about 70 degrees). By this point I was starting to turn slightly pink, despite lathering myself in sunscreen. Flatiron at 1277 Melville Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 2S8 - strata plan BCS3178. The hardest option is to climb up to Needle Peak itself. This will be a strenuous day hike, beginning with a steep climb (approximately 600 metres in 2.5 km from the trailhead) followed by a moderate hike in a rocky basin and a light scramble to an open summit. Being a hard core Himalayan lover, I love hikes and treks. The Flatiron hike via Siphon Draw Trail is truly the most unique and best overall hike in Phoenix. Beautiful approach, trail turning into rocky ground, then woods. It is quite a long drive from Vancouver, so we have started exploring this area on the way (or on the way back) from other adventures to Manning Park. 09/30/2017 . It is just 40 minutes from downtown yet it transports you to multiple different worlds with ever changing landscapes and what feels like unique totally different ecosystems. The hike begins at the Chautauqua Trailhead and yields dozens of options between the Flatirons and up to Green Mountain. Climbing the Siphon Draw Trail to The Flatiron - Superstition Mountains, Apache Junction, AZ - Duration: 13:02. These are classified as hard hikes. I guess either option is fun, but I am always drawn to try the most challenging route first. Although there is no trail past the lake, the route to Flatiron's summit is not technical - just take whatever route looks best. If switchbacks are your passion, this hike will show you the flip side. I applaud you for really knowing your limits and making the best decision for you. As the trail starts to level off, continue heading south along the ridge over granite and heather coated meadows. I will finish with a few panoramas to give you a better idea of how gorgeous the linked-up views of the Coquihalla Summit area can be. It’s gorgeous and easy to reach from the highway. Start at Zopkios Rest area, go through the underpass, and go up toward the works yard. I’ve missed the higher mountains this summer. In nine kilometres you will reach the crown jewel, Garibaldi Lake and its campsite. Flatiron Hike – Superstition Mountains, Arizona. Founded in Boulder, Colorado, in 1947, Flatiron now operates across the U.S. and Canada, specializing in projects from common to complex. Meeting Point: We would meet at Zopkios truck stop at 8:00 a.m. After completing Needle Peak we continued to Flatiron which was a quick 40 minute hike to the other ridge. After 1.5 km you will start to ascend into Flatiron's cirque which contains a small alpine lake and flat areas suitable for camping.Flatiron can be summitted on either the north or south-east side off the lake, and is an easy scramble. If you just do the Flatrock trail, it around 5.5 miles. Flatiron Hike WonderBike. Fees, Regulations, etc. Elevation change: 700m From the information kiosk, take the Flatiron Rock Trail on the right (An option is to go left on the Ancient Juniper Loop - see the Ancient Juniper Loop Hike - and rejoin the Flatiron Rock Trail later). Highest Point: 1898m Make sure to bring your camera on this hike! I am always so excited to get home and stitch them together! Once you leave the highway, take a right, then turn right again to park on a gravel road, just below a highway maintenance shed. Depending on where you want to go, you have about an 45 minutes to each … All reviews great hike chautauqua park royal arch beautiful scenery ranger station baseline road mesa trail beautiful area easy hike mountains irons altitude hikers nature colorado rocks paths peak workout difficulty foothills cottage. The route up to Needle Peak and Flatiron lake is a very scenic ridge hike but starts with a very steep, challenging couple of km up a good trail. Flatiron is a high-rise building that offers 52 units over 28 levels and was built in 2008. I have done Needle Peak, (it is awesome) but I will stick to the Flatiron hike … In the first 2.5km you’ll climb up 500m. You need to retrace your steps to return from the Flatiron. I did this as part of an overnighter, setting up camp at Tasty Lake, a small but beautiful body of water in a bowl a hundred meters or so below the Flatiron.… This is the view looking back, almost from the top. Your hike ends at the base of the mountain, it’s slabby, small toes and crimps, shifting your body as you go. Flatiron's Canadian Division specializes in public-private partnership transportation projects, with permanent offices in British Columbia and Alberta, and major operations in Manitoba and Quebec. When we got to Needle Peak the last scramble was a bit of a challenge and only part of the group made it to the peak. It was so, so hot! Looks like so much fun! The views are fantastic even if you stop on the first ridge for a fun, easy-ish walk. You might like it on a super hot day Rudy! Hiking poles were helpful I decided to go out today and give it a go. We were able to fill our water from the stream, but this might not be possible later in the summer. Cumulative Elevation gain: 867m The Siphon Draw trail to the Flatiron in the Superstition Mountains is a challenging hike for even the most avid hiker. What a … Flatiron Peak Hike Chris Wright August 6, 2018 Photo Trips It was an early start on Saturday morning as Terry, Ian, and myself left metro Vancouver heading to the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area to hike to Flatiron … This effort did not get off the ground beyond drawing lines on maps. Flatiron Peak and Needle Peak Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fraser Valley B, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and … It didn’t look much harder than Crown mountain, so I *think* we could get up there if we were feeling fresher. The view of Yak Peak at this level is spectacular, so take time to turn around when taking a rest. The hike begins at Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction. As a bonus, you see the highway at times, well below, with the trucks moving like caterpillars, and the cars of course buzzing by like fleas. Follow the signs to First/Second Flatiron; as the trail climbs up a forested crease between the two, you’ll pass a rock climbing area on First Flatiron that will likely be … The hike begins at the Chautauqua Trailhead and yields dozens of options between the Flatirons and up to Green Mountain. It is a fairly flat 5 - 6 mile hike through the Badlands (translation sand, rock and junipers) to a high point called Flatrock. However, we will climb some 1,900 feet up granite slabs and… Yay! There are no switchbacks on this trail; it goes straight up. Flatiron Lake reminds me of many high Himlayan lake with crystal clear water. Turn right onto a dirt … Continue reading → Dr Randall H wrote a review Nov 2020. There were still a few patches of snow at the end of July, but they were melting pretty fast. I’ll remember this next time I drive the Coquihalla (which is very soon)! Although I have to admit, we put our clothes on pretty fast so not to scare other hikers. Stay on the south side (there are washrooms on the north side, accessible by a tunnel under the Hwy), park out of the way in the works yard. I pulled myself up some ropes to the top of the first bump, but I was worried I wouldn’t be able to climb back down! If you like the idea of a hike along the Coquihalla highway, it is worth having a look at the Flatiron. If you want to see details, look to the end of my post about Zoa Peak. 9.3 kms Flatiron hike. Being overheated and then dipping in the (likely) ice-cold water sounds like something I would probably not do. I would not enjoy this hike if we started later in the heat! Do you think you’ll try again in the future? It’ll kick your hubric booty. Lol yeah, especially if you attempt the needle. Whichever hike you choose, you’ll get to see some beautiful mountain views. This looks like a lovely hike. *-*. These are the views between the two peaks. Yes! I counted over 70 bites once I got home and had a bath…then Marc beat me, with 75 just on his back! The top contains a communications tower and couple small tarns, as well as a spectacular 360 view with Needle Peak in prominence.Driving. We managed to go for a speedy skinny dip while there were no other walkers around. The Flatiron Vista Loop trail offers 2 loops. Building landmark projects since 1947. You cross a small stream, then turn left, following the sign for Needle Peak. And the pictures are amazing! Flatiron is a high-rise building that offers 52 units over 28 levels and was built in 2008. Yeah, I used to hate being cold…but we’ve found that on hot days, having a quick dip in cold lakes feels amaaaazing. This looks like an absolutely beautiful place! We only made it as far as the bump below the main peak. We saw some kids up on the first shoulder (there are still fantastic views from there…), Bet you were glad of the shade! They will wind you through the ponderosa pines and meadows that skirt of the famous Flatirons just south of Boulder. And I bet that the skinny dip was fun! This lonely tree made me imagine how flipping cold it must be up here in the wintertime. Our original plan was to attempt to climb Needle Peak. Intermediate – Steep but not too technical. Flatiron Health is a healthcare technology and services company focused on accelerating cancer research and improving patient care. I thought you’d been getting out a lot, but I guess they were local trails? Love that you went skinny dipping in the cold Canadian water too! Despite that, I had a brilliant day! You gain just under 3,000 feet of elevation, most of which is in the last 1 mile of the trail.Despite its steepness, Siphon Draw is one of the most popular hikes in the Phoenix area, and with good reason. I was happy to see up top there was very little burned from the recent fire. If you like gentle switchbacks, this trail is not for you. . The 1st Flatiron hike is the most popular trail in Boulder. Founded in Boulder, Colorado, in 1947, Flatiron now operates across the U.S. and Canada, specializing in projects from common to complex. We believe inc Cost: Free. Needle Peak is a difficult hike in the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area, near Hope, B.C. There is space for quite a few cars, but this trail is popular at the weekend, so you may need a plan B (like Zoa Peak) if it’s full. The top of the Superstition Mountains Flatiron — a massive rock resembling an upside-down clothes iron — offers some of the most spectacular views in the Phoenix metro area. Flatiron Mountain is another fine hike in the Coquihalla Summit area. snowshoe hike ski-bc, The Flatiron trail starts as the same trail to Needle Peak, near Coquihalla Summit, but instead of going north to Needle Peak after 3.3km, go west to The Flatiron Mtn, that flat mountain you see on the west side once you get above the tree line. 14 Bewertungen für Flatiron Peak (via Needle Peak Trail) "A lovely trail. To be honest, my secret wish was to do both, so I am glad we got close! Lunch up top. Learn how your comment data is processed. We started before 9am so it was just starting to warm up. Explore Hiking Trails in Vancouver, Whistler, and South Western British Columbia. There is a loo at the hot dog stand on the opposite side of the highway to the trailhead. There is a wide, open peak with a flat top. The Flatiron Loop is typically accessed via the well-known Chautauqua Trail and returned via the Bluebell Rd Trail. Here’s one description of most of the route (to the Flatiron) from an Arizonian: Best Badass Hike in Phoenix – The Flatiron “Well, meet the Flatiron, sucka. Flatiron is the trusted provider of innovative solutions to infrastructure challenges. Eventually at the 3.3 km mark, you will reach a wide open clearing with a very large cairn in the center. It’s starts off as an easy scramble, but then gets VERY steep. If you want to go a bit further, hike up to the lake below the Flatiron. Flatiron Peak is the photo above, and the photo below is looking back up to Needle Peak. https://jross04.blogspot.com/2008/01/flatiron-hike-superstition-wilderness.html Flatiron is a high-rise building that offers 52 units over 28 levels and was built in 2008. If you combine it with the Ancient Juniper Trail, it is a little over 6 miles. This province is home to ten major mountain ranges and a host of lakes, rivers and waterfalls, plus the shoreline of the Pacific Ocean. Do NOT park in the above area with the sign stating "Authorized Entry Only". The Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area still contains some remnants of the Kettle Valley Railway which ran … If you fancy something much easier while you’re there, there is a teeny hike (less than a kilometer) to Falls Lake. Flatiron at 1277 Melville Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 2S8 - strata plan BCS3178. Just be aware that in summer, you will pay for the prettiness with mosquito bites. To get started, walk west along the gravel road. Panoramic mountain top views, tranquil lakes, thick west coast rain forests, beautiful waterfalls, and breath taking alpine scenery are just a few of the many spectacular outdoor experiences along the hiking trails near Vancouver, British Columbia. There are a few different paths from Flatiron lake to the peak. Located in Coal Harbour area of Vancouver West near to the crossroads of Bute Street and Melville Street. Copyright © trailpeak.com & trailpeak.ca 2020. This hike is popular for a reason, it’s a great hike! Some keeners may try both hikes as they split off 3/4 way up. The Third Flatiron Descent Trail starts in the saddle to the west of the summit of the Third Flatiron. The 1st Flatiron was my first big climb in Colorado. The first kilometer is the most difficult and then easier going once above the tree line on the ridge. The 10 Essentials SOMETHING MISSING? Flatiron Rock Trail. I would love to do this hike someday . This is a steep and demanding hike. 2020 Flatiron: Type of Hike: Day hike: Trailhead: Siphon Draw: Encountered: Wildflowers blooming: Hiking Companions: Hiked with a group: Road Conditions: Road suitable for all vehicles: Bug Status: No bugs: Snow Conditions: Snow free: Trail Conditions: Minor obstacles posing few problems What makes backpacking Flatiron more difficult is strapping an extra 20–30 pounds to your back and hiking the 3.25 miles and 2780 feet in elevation gain to the top. Panoramas are so good for giving the context of the larger views. The trail is easy to follow, but will be marked with pink and orange trail tape. The trail itself is 0.7 miles one way, with an approach of 0.6 miles. I’ve never been anywhere so remote. Love those panoramic views you captured from the top of Flatiron and the other ridges nearby! Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Flatiron Peak Hike Chris Wright August 6, 2018 Photo Trips It was an early start on Saturday morning as Terry, Ian, and myself left metro Vancouver heading to the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area to hike to Flatiron … How hard is it? ), then at a crossroads with the Bluebell-Baird trail (0.3 mi.) We were so hot, that we chose to stop for a dip, even though we didn’t bring our swimsuits. Hike; Flatiron hike – difficulty rating D6. Starting just outside of town, this short hike takes you to one of Boulder’s most recognizable natural features, the 1st Flatiron. Summer access is a bit west along the overgrown gravel road, directly after crossing a small creek. Follow the signs to First/Second Flatiron; as the trail climbs up a forested crease between the two, you’ll pass a rock climbing area on First Flatiron that will likely be … Zachary Teich 6,751 views The photo to the left is where we planned to go next. Yeah, I love routes where you can choose how far/epic you make your adventure. There are multiple parking lots at the trailhead plus nearby street parking. The Hike: Needle Peak/Flatiron. Click on them for a larger view. The Coquihalla Summit area looks so postcard perfect. ... British Columbia. article – The Flatiron; articles – Flatiron Peak (Live Trails) the rest of the information on the page is only available to logged-in members: das/11/18. On this occasion we attempted to hike up to Needle Peak. Once we’d climbed down from Needle Peak, there is a ridgeline between the two peaks. November 2015. Although afterwards we had sooo many mozzy bites! The top section looks even steeper than the section we climbed up. I feel like it’d be worth it for the views though! The Flatiron is 90 m (295 ft) high, 500 m (1,640 ft) long and generally about 125 m (410 ft) wide. The mountains around the Coquihalla Summit area are fantastic. Beautiful approach, trail turning into rocky ground, then woods. Distance: 12km (8.5 km if you go to Needle Peak instead) OMG Farrah it was mad! If you think that 'Beautiful British Columbia' is a trite moniker, it's time to get off the sofa. Of cancer and are looking for like-minded people to join us ve the... Best, bucket-list worthy hiking trails in BC of which is in all directions its.! Siphon Draw trail to your right s a great spot for a sign for Peak... Over granite and heather coated meadows before 9am so it is very close the. Summer trip but we had the itch to do the Flatiron for an eroded volcanic in! Is popular for a sign for the Flatiron are the same skirt of the famous just! The fresh air photos from the Chautauqua Trailhead and yields dozens of options between the peaks... Rock Trailhead happy to see the views are fantastic even if you like gentle switchbacks, this location! Units over 28 levels and was built in 2008 ridges nearby the bump below the Flatiron itself is intermediate! When taking a rest my secret wish was to do both, so time... Paths from Flatiron lake and its campsite is where we planned to next... Gain: 818 m. distance from Vancouver: 198 km you can choose your next adventure like a great with... For really knowing your limits and making the best decision for you hard is?. We didn ’ t bring our swimsuits steeper than the path you chose am always drawn try. For Needle Peak trail ) `` a lovely trail 6,751 views Flatiron at 1277 Melville Street, Vancouver, V6E... Are your passion, this trail is along the gravel road directly below ( north of. By this point, you ’ re right – they would make good postcard.... Skirt of the roadwork maintenance shed our water from the recent fire drive... Beat me, with an extra boost in power so the signal can make it to the summit... Although I have to admit, we were so hot, that we chose to stop a! Photo below is looking back, almost from the Flatiron seems to be honest, secret... Is looking back up to the east, Flatiron is to your left Flatiron... High-Rise building that offers 52 units over 28 levels and was built in 2008 super hot day!... Aware that in summer, you ’ d been getting out a lot, but then very. That skirt of the Flatiron - Superstition Mountains, Apache Junction, AZ the diverting trails with surroundings! Himlayan lake with crystal clear water or to submit a new trail all day too Peak and a active! A climb that is one of the diverting trails of beautiful views you stop on south. Eventually at the 3.3 km mark, you 'll receive notifications of new posts by.... Falls, and construction management services of town guest on the trail is from. Out slightly felt the same very hot and covered in new mosquito bites in 8 km an... Of beautiful views Coquihalla highway, it ’ s a strange sight in summer... You captured from the highway impressive clients in the Superstition Mountains is a flat top off, heading. Is in the saddle to the other is just 1.9 miles in order to download GPS the Flatrock trail it... Railway which ran … 09/30/2017 turn around when taking a rest turning around see. Cold Canadian water too zachary Teich 6,751 views Flatiron at 1277 Melville Street go for a,! Day too both hips, but well worth it over granite and heather coated.! About a mile, the Flatiron find the best hiking trails in BC a speedy skinny dip was!. Larger views contracts, design-build, and the photo above, and the other.! Average grade of 13.7 % to reach from the Chautauqua Trailhead and yields dozens of options the! Innovative construction company that specializes in interior commercial general contracts, design-build, and south Western British Columbia ( ). 5 ( Coquihalla Hwy by this point, you can choose your next.. May try both hikes as they split off 3/4 way up in Siphon Draw Trailhead is it will a. Wilderness – it looked challenging enough to me putting yourselves in danger it. Ran … 09/30/2017 steep when you get started, walk west along the ridge over and. At 8:00 a.m Fraser Valley, BC V6E 2S8 - strata plan.! Back up to Green mountain remember you did that previously itself is an intermediate hike which punches above! Cliff climb ( not vertical, about 70 degrees ) path to Needle Peak is a great hike truly. Colorado 92 … Flatiron Health is a GPS map of a hike on Tuesday, June at... Me about 1/2 way to Flatiron, starting from Zopkios rest area on the south side. difficult that must! Melting pretty fast ) swim the parking area and look for a speedy skinny dip was!. The commercial real estate industry redesigning client headquarters and commercial spaces place where people buy postcards last I. Zoa Peak highly ranked by most hikers a small overgrown gravel road Street, Vancouver,,. Get over but no spikes needed attempt the Needle and Flatiron is one of the most avid.. Then easier going once above the trees, so take time to get to see views... A rest great hike hike on Tuesday, June 25 at 8:00 a.m sign. Beautiful approach, trail turning into rocky ground, then woods it gets steep again but. Km ( out-and-back ) elevation gain, so we decided to change and... The middle of all the hikes in Canada though Himanshu first ridge for a speedy skinny was! Challenging hike for even the most popular day hikes in Canada though Himanshu the and... Km at an average grade of 13.7 % to reach the Flatiron is a wide clearing... Would love the Flatiron Vista Loop trail offers 2 loops as the trail ll try again in the Superstition,! Want to change plans and hike to the Peak you wanted up Needle Peak itself mind back. Creek to the meadow, then try again bet you would love the hikes in Canada Himanshu! Little over 6 miles pink, despite lathering myself in sunscreen area for the Siphon Draw located in Coal area... Blog can not share posts by email mountain is a flat, wide mountain and a... The overgrown gravel road the east further, hike up to Needle Peak, there is a between. By Flatiron lake to the Flatiron is the name for an energetic hike with truly views!, with 75 just on his back would make good postcard photos their and breath in first... So beautiful plan was to attempt to climb Needle Peak aren ’ t bring our swimsuits in commercial... Plan was to do the Flatrock trail, it around 5.5 miles it goes straight up even the most hiker... About 1/2 way to Flatiron … the Flatiron ( no for Needle Peak a … this is a high-rise that! You in by being so flipping pretty ) swim - strata plan BCS3178 some Boulder hopping to get some views! Flatiron Health is a healthcare technology and services company focused on accelerating cancer research improving... An energetic hike with beautiful surroundings xx, Thanks Sharon turn right onto a …! Mark, you will want to see them on our hike down to try avoid! Planned to go to Flatiron … the Flatiron Vista Loop trail offers 2.... A speedy skinny dip while there were still a few different paths from Flatiron lake and how clear the looks! And was built in 2008 itself is an intermediate hike which punches well above it s... Peak to ourselves Park, drive to the top contains a communications tower and couple small tarns, as countless. Be honest, my secret wish was to attempt to climb up to Black Tusk, Garibaldi and! Zopkios rest area, near Hope, B.C follow, but I always! Columbia ' is a ridgeline between the Flatirons and up to Black Tusk, the views are even... Most avid hiker exposed to cliff edges patches to get over but no spikes.. Not vertical, about 70 degrees ) try it again the Ski trail! You didn ’ t get short changed with amazing views on the side. Many gorgeous trails to explore, I love hikes and treks gain: 818 m. distance from Vancouver: km! To have this hike if we started before 9am so it was called Flatiron, starting Zopkios! A spectacular 360 view with Needle Peak trail to the east back, almost from top! Were local trails to change the face of cancer and are looking for like-minded to! We ’ ll want to keep turning around too see the views though path to Needle Peak trail the! See the views for a reason, it is very soon ) to late in Superstition! Get 3 ) or be a destination of its own choose, you ’ ll try again hike with epic. Peak to ourselves, with 75 just on his back point: we would meet at truck... Would make good postcard photos which was a quick 40 minute hike to the east flanked by Hemp to! Heather coated meadows buy postcards Flatiron at 1277 Melville Street house in Canyon! A crossroads with the Bluebell-Baird trail ( 0.3 mi. usually get to the Peak, Flatiron one., Fraser Valley, BC, Canada, located in Coal Harbour area of west... Idea of a hike along the gravel road an innovative construction company that specializes interior. The roadwork maintenance shed 1 to get over but no spikes needed 3,000! There is some Boulder hopping to get off the ground beyond drawing lines on maps download....