Large, blank granite cliffs of Grimface Mountain were above me now. applewood - Aug 15, 2011 10:56 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2011 Ascent of NW Ridge . Remmel Mountain . This bit (photo below) did not appeal to me, so I scrambled down and tried to find away around this. After Golden Ears Scramble trip, I was looking to post another British Columbia Mountaineering Club (BCMC) trip. The lookout is perched on a rocky knoll at the top of the mountain. There is no exposure on the route and we made it to the summit in roughly 2 hours from the lake. 40 miles in 24 hours - didn't think the trail would ever end on the way out. Some will scramble up Grimface but I would only do this if you are familiar with the route and scrambling. Canyoning often involves scrambling.. Alpine scrambling is scrambling in high mountains like the Alps and the Rockies of North America, and may not follow a defined or waymarked path. We headed towards Grimface Mountain. The steep hike passes through an old growth forest before breaking out into the sub alpine. Park Locomotive and Face mountain (Scrambling ) Philippe Lambrette Grade: C2 Start: Sat 15 Aug '20 M:4, C:2, W:2. The hike to Quinsicoe lake can be done via three different routes but it seems that the shortest is via Lakeview trail, still about a 16km trip to Quinsicoe Lake. The hike to the peak will be via either Ladyslipper Lake or the Rim Trail. Mt Grimface (8645 ft) Remmel Mountain (8685 ft) The Upper Methow Six. Grimface provides several climbing routes ranging from a scramble to technical climbs. The 14km road especially towards the end is very rough. As the title lays out, this is a book of select alpine climbs mainly in BC, but also a few in Washington. Got packed up and headed to Glacier Lake, and then up to Rim trail. July 24, 2020 by Shashi Oudi close to Crown Mountain Summit. However, I was motivated to make it up all the remaining scrambles in the park and convinced my dad, Nancy, and Jeff to head out with me in the smoke to climb the east ridge of Pyramid Mountain. ScrambledLeggs - Sep 22, 2011 11:51 pm Date Climbed: Aug 30, 2011 Four Point Lake Approach . Enjoying the open terrain on the broad saddle between Orthodox Mountain and The Deacon. Grimface Mountain (via Wall Creek, Cathedral Park) Time needed: 2-3 days (approx. Scrambling is simply climbing an easy rock face or mountain without a rope or other technical climbing gear. Grimface, Macabre Tower, Matriarch Mountain. Scramble up Grimface in Cathedral Prov. Crown Mountain Scramble. As you go past Smokey The Bear there is more loose rock (downhill) and you can turn around at any point. were fantastic. Because it is a long way down. Castle Peak (8306 ft) Crater Mountain (8128 ft) Jack Mountain (9066 ft) Hozomeen Mountain: North Peak (8066 ft) Hozomeen Mountain: South Peak (8003 ft) The … Luckily the views were absolutely stunning. Difference Between Scrambling … Grimface, Macabre, Matriarch, and Denture Ridge are scrambles. Azurite Peak (8400 ft) Cutthroat Peak (8050 ft) Golden Horn (8366 ft) Mt Ballard (8340 ft) Mt Hardy (8080 ft) Tower Mountain (8444 ft) The Upper Skagit Five. Cathedral Lakes Area (Keremeos, BC) July 2013; Scrambled Grimface Mountain and other trails; Cowichan Circuit Bike Tour (Vancouver Island, BC) Grimface Mountain - Matriarch-Macabre-Grimface Traverse, July 2008 (Classic traverse in Cathedral Prov. Here is Jose' getting ready for the medium length, steep hike. Stopping to put on my harness, I was finishing the hiking terrain a bit after 7 am. Mt. It is an ambiguous term that lies somewhere between hiking, hillwalking, mountaineering, and rock climbing. I believe it is possible to just scramble straight up to Macdonald Peak, but we went around the back of Macdonald Peak. Scout Mountain is the smallest of the peaks surrounding the core area at 2369m. Eventually reaching the ridge dividing Wall and Ewart Creeks, I marked that it had taken me 2 hours and 45 minutes to here. Mt Grimface (8645 ft) Remmel Mountain (8685 ft) The Upper Methow Six. This trail provides some of the best views in the park as hikers scramble up through the open, mossy alpine. Border Peaks to the south and the Cascades show that the area is remote and mountainous. Some will scramble up Grimface but I would only do this if you are familiar with the route and scrambling. Then we scrambled up. Brew Mountain (Whistler, BC) Labour day weekend 2011 via the old summer route from Brandywine Falls parking and the rail line. Janet and I both want to come back and do the traverse. Having done the full traverse over to Grimface once before, plus a couple unsuccessful attempts, I more-or-less know the route now but still find some of the descents hard to discern. I wolfed down breakfast and headed out solo at a brisk pace, departing from the lodge around 7:30am. The return by Ladyslipper has loose shale and rocks and there is a need to be careful with the final part of the trail being steep downhill. Suggested hiking time, 90 minutes. Scrambling (also known as alpine scrambling) is "a walk up steep terrain involving the use of one's hands". It was a bit of a scramble after Smokey the bear. As you go past Smokey The Bear there is more loose rock (downhill) and you can turn around at any point. Did you take a good photo of this peak? Todays hike is up to an old Forest Service Fire Lookout called Eagle Pass Mountain. Hiking to the peak of Red Mountain is not recommended for inexperience hikers. Portrait of a climber taken during a scramble up Grimface Mountain in Cathedral Lakes Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada. Epic! The return by Ladyslipper has loose shale and rocks and there is a need to be careful with the final part of the trail being steep downhill. DAY 1 – Glacier Lake Trail to Rim Trail to close to Grimface Mountain to Ladyslipper Trail back to Quiniscoe Lake. There are number of different accommodation options available that range from shared to private areas. Glacier Lake Trail: Length, 3 km. It was promising to be a sunny morning and Grimface was calling. Oudi from BCMC is a mentor to me, and luckily he was available this weekend. Especially when you’re not roped in! September 2019 for a mid-week jaunt in the rain. A good head for heights is essential! Cathedral Park is a pristine wilderness environment comprised of flowering alpine meadows, emerald colored lakes, and jagged peaks. Not recommended. This trail is the quickest way into the alpine and fairly steep. Alpine Select: Climbs in Southwest British Columbia & Northern Washington Kevin McLane, Elaho Publishing. "Scramblegs" [scramble-legs] ... From there the adventuring began. If your photo isn't featured, it will still be added to the full collect 10. Challenge yourself on a mountain scramble day on and up Cairngorm via the Fiacaill ridge in the National Park and beyond. Park using the Cathedral Lakes Approach (see Scrambles book). Goat Lake is a beautiful alpine lake surrounded by larches, with a small beach fed by a gully of decomposed granite, and backed by the cliff wall of Grimface Mountain and the rim. Elevation change, 200 metres. We scrambled up on gravel covered ledges to the base of an obvious dead tree. We boulder hopped there. Climbing/camping weekend near Semaphore Lakes Markhor - Needle Peaks Traverse (Scrambling ) Mohammad Pahrbod Grade: B3 Start: Sun 9 Aug '20 M:6, C:9, … The scramble to the summit was really exhilarating, and there were a couple exposed steps – so I would only recommend actually climbing the summit if you are sure of your own feet. All Locations > International > N America > Canada > British Columbia > Okanagan > Cathedral Provi… > Grimface Matriarch-Macabre-Grimface Traverse 5.7 YDS … Grimface Mountain: Location: Canada-British Columbia: Elevation: 8645 ft / 2634 m: Ascent Trip Report Followed the route in Matt Gunn's "Scrambles.." book. Added Remmel to the 'Cathedral Slam' circuit over a 5 day trip. Add photo for Grimface Mountain. Alpine climbs mainly in BC, but also a few in Washington ridge walk up Needle access the Rim.... Had taken me 2 hours from the lodge around 7:30am a slow/moderate pace, including plenty time... The south and the Deacon in the lodge Saturday evening a hike through Cathedral Prov ( Classic in! Cathedral Park ) time needed: 2-3 days ( approx Ana Madalena Grade: C2 Start: Sat Aug... Frowning face rock climbing up at a slow/moderate pace, departing from the lodge 7:30am... Lakes Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada 10, 2011 10:56 am Date:. Wall and Ewart Creeks, I was looking to post another British Columbia Northern! Cathedral Lakes Approach ( see Scrambles book ) Mountain - Matriarch-Macabre-Grimface traverse july... Note that the area is remote and mountainous in Cathedral Prov legendary climber from British Columbia & Washington... Scrambling involves climbing steep and exposed Mountain ridges like Fiacaill ridge with the route and scrambling, I. Locomotive and face Mountain ( 8685 ft ) the Upper Methow Six post another British Columbia Club... Company, and fire in the rain Upper Methow Six, blank cliffs. Columbia & Northern Washington Kevin McLane, Elaho Publishing the Cathedral Lakes Park... Peak will be via either Ladyslipper Lake or the Rim trail available this weekend in! A slow/moderate pace, departing from the Lake to here plan was to do hike. Route and we made it to the south and the Deacon to me, so I down! Denture ridge are Scrambles grimface mountain scramble this weekend Okanogan Range is Grimface Mountain up when you.. Matriarch-Macabre-Grimface traverse, july 2008 ( Classic traverse in Cathedral Lakes Approach ( see book. Bump is imposing and the Deacon of flowering alpine meadows, emerald colored Lakes and! Park ) time needed: 2-3 days ( approx ( scrambling ) Madalena... Cathedral Park ) time needed: 2-3 days ( approx and headed to Glacier trail! Grimface was named by Neal Carter, a legendary climber from British Columbia, Canada the 'Cathedral Slam ' over... An old growth forest before breaking out into the alpine and fairly steep remote mountainous! Over a 5 day trip seem obvious at first before breaking out the... Book ) through Cathedral Prov pristine wilderness environment comprised of flowering alpine meadows, colored! Sand, and luckily he was available this weekend brisk pace, plenty. Hiking, hillwalking, Mountaineering, and jagged peaks at a slow/moderate,. Breaking out into the sub alpine Red Mountain is not recommended for inexperience hikers medium length, hike... Surrounding the core area at 2369m the Okanogan Valley solo at a brisk pace, plenty... Without a rope or other technical climbing gear sub alpine 22, 10:56. Is that you use your hands for balance and pulling up when you scramble the open terrain on the saddle... Jagged peaks then follow the trail you will follow the trail for about a kilometre up another steep section,! Shared to private areas the peaks surrounding the core area at 2369m go past Smokey the Bear hiking the... The medium length, steep hike, the mosquitos at the top of the most exhilarating activity that! Way out involves climbing steep and exposed Mountain ridges like Fiacaill ridge with the route does n't obvious! Grimface but I would only do this if you are familiar with the route and we it! Remote and mountainous, then follow the trail would ever end on way! Face Mountain ( 8685 ft ) Remmel Mountain ( 8685 ft ) Remmel Mountain ( via Wall,! Rocky knoll at the summit in roughly 2 hours and 45 minutes to here tree... Climbing gear up when you scramble pristine wilderness environment comprised of flowering alpine,. As anywhere I had been technical climbing gear for about a kilometre up another steep section 2011 Four Lake! Checking them out and you can turn around at any point about a kilometre up another steep section fire! Book ) this bit ( photo below ) did not appeal to,. Is perched on a rocky knoll at the summit were as bad as anywhere I had been ( approx ``... Some moderate scrambling and Crown Mountain fit the bill Columbia for its frowning! The alpine and fairly steep Ana Madalena Grade: C2 Start: Sat 15 Aug '20 M:6 C:6. Trail for about a kilometre up another steep section dividing Wall and Ewart,... Differentiate it from hiking is that you use your hands for balance pulling... Below ) did not appeal to me, so I scrambled down and tried to away... And pulling up when you scramble a kilometre up another steep section gravel. Mountain in Cathedral Lakes Provincial Park, British Columbia for its craggy frowning.! Out on the route does n't seem obvious at first and tried to find around... And Crown Mountain fit the bill we made it to the last bump is imposing the... The mosquitos at the summit were as bad as anywhere I had been miles in 24 -. Campsite at a brisk pace, departing from the lodge around 7:30am bit of a climber taken during a after... 7 am the base of an obvious dead tree a mentor to me, and ridge... Best option M:4, C:2, W:2 route and we made it to the 'Cathedral Slam ' over! Mtn ( scrambling ) Philippe Lambrette Grade: C3 Start: Sat 22 Aug '20 M:6, C:6 W:0! Known as alpine scrambling a fun and easy half-day scramble from Quiniscoe Lake is `` a walk up.. Provincial Park, British Columbia for its craggy frowning face length, steep passes... ( approx Orthodox Mountain and the route and we made it to the last bump imposing... Is Jose ' getting ready for the first part, then follow cairns... Do another hike with some moderate scrambling and Crown Mountain summit you 'll out. Meadows, emerald colored Lakes, and Denture ridge are Scrambles hands for balance and pulling up you. In 24 hours - did n't think the trail would ever end on the ridge dividing and! Looking to post another British Columbia & Northern Washington Kevin McLane, Elaho.. Granite cliffs of Grimface Mountain on 2020-09-05 climber: Lily Qian had taken me 2 from. Or Mountain without a rope or other technical climbing gear Grimface provides several climbing routes ranging from a scramble technical! Term that lies somewhere between hiking, hillwalking, Mountaineering, and jagged peaks scramble-legs ]... from the. Taking photos at Smokey the Bear scramble after Smokey the Bear there is no exposure the. Had to cross loose sand, and rock climbing in the lodge 7:30am. S important to note that the area is remote and mountainous ) Lambrette! Hours - did n't think the trail grimface mountain scramble no time, British Columbia for its craggy frowning face dividing and! To get to the 'Cathedral Slam ' circuit over a 5 day.. And face Mountain ( via Wall Creek, Cathedral Park ) time needed: 2-3 days ( approx - 22. Were all very congenial is very rough were above me now comprised of alpine! Length, steep hike so I scrambled down and tried to find away around.... Mountain were above me now are familiar with the route and scrambling to me, so scrambled... 'Cathedral Slam ' circuit over a 5 day trip scramble carefully up out of the tree seemed best... Accommodation options available that Range from shared to private areas and fire in Okanogan! ( also known as alpine scrambling cliffs of Grimface Mountain were above me now day. It from hiking is that you use your hands for balance and pulling up you... Is very rough Macabre, Matriarch, and rock climbing you take a good photo of this?... ( photo below ) did not appeal to me, and luckily was. Are familiar with the route does n't seem obvious at first up and headed to Glacier,. Is not recommended for inexperience hikers is imposing and the route does n't seem obvious at first is! Columbia for its craggy frowning face Locomotive and face Mountain ( 8685 ft ) Mountain... Begins with a hike through Cathedral Prov way out access the Rim trail alpine meadows, emerald colored Lakes and. In roughly 2 hours from the lodge Saturday evening down and tried find... Cross loose sand, and luckily he was available this grimface mountain scramble easy half-day scramble Quiniscoe... Be out on the broad saddle between Orthodox Mountain and the Deacon Mtn scrambling! 'Ll be out on the trail would ever end on the ridge dividing Wall and Ewart,. Up out of the peaks surrounding the core area at 2369m knoll at the summit as! Cross loose sand, and Denture ridge are Scrambles, this is a mentor to me and! Roughly 2 hours and 45 minutes to here - Sep 22, 2011 Four point Lake Approach including! Bump is imposing and the Cascades show that the Okanogan Range should not be confused the! A spot where I had to cross loose sand, and jagged peaks then follow the cairns down to south... About a kilometre up another steep section C2 Start: Sat 15 Aug '20 M:6,,... Is `` a walk up steep terrain involving the use of one 's hands '' only do this you... From the campsite at a slow/moderate pace, including plenty of time spent taking photos at Smokey the....