Step 3: I prefer an old-school method that I know some folks will disagree with, but it works fine for me. I just don’t know and am now so curious!!! I like to build things and I like to burn things. Step 1, Find a piece of new shiny metal. Before you can determine whether the lamp or piece of hardware you want to restore is made of aged brass, however, you need to be aware of some of brass's properties. Originally I planned on aging my bucket the right way! I have aged chain by soaking it in acid (place in oversized glass bowl with just enough to cover object, wait an hour and fill bowl with cool water to overflowing to dilute the acid). Building door & door hardware age: door & window hardware, knobs, latches, hinges, & screws & nails. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I love chippy paint and rusted metal. One coat will color the metal inconsistently, which is the way I like it. Note: car wax will not give the brass a sheen, so no worries there. I know this will give you professional results just like we get at our company. You’ll need just a few items to age your hardware to a nice patina. Other Methods The longer you leave it in, the darker the metals will become. But, if you don’t like having things like acetone and chemical-based “agers” in the house, it might be worth the wait. Old houses can be daunting and that’s why I’m here to help you figure them out. A couple years ago, I started experimenting with bronze aging solutions. The longer you leave it in, the darker the metals will become. You can make … Be sure to keep an eye on it while it is heating. You can buy your bottle of The Patinator in our store. Use a steel-wool pad and stiff brush to scrub oily grime and dirt from the metal. Sanding will remove the shine on a finish. Darkening solution - Use a metal darkening solution according to directions and place hardware in … Dismiss, How to Age Metals for that Distressed, Vintage Look. Your email address will not be published. Then you’re ready to age some metal! Your email address will not be published. I love when copper turns that pretty greenish color. Would it have helped someone grab and pull the top sash down using a long stick with a hook? When it comes to making your favorite item look authentically old, a spot or two of rust makes all the difference. Use a fine gauge steel wool and gently rub the entire surface of the brass piece. Our DIY methods will make your kitchen brass look beautiful. The hardware faded into the background of the piece instead of poking me in the eye with its shiny, galvanized appearance. Place as much or as little hardware as you can handle into the solution and mix it around to make sure every part is coated well. Do you? I use the same method on almost all the hardware I paint… some pieces the hardware may be meant to look a little shabby, but when it’s fully painted and covered this is how to paint metal hardware as well as many other surfaces. I wish I could show you a picture. Kind of like soaking iron in salt water, but on steroids. It was a few weeks ago now. I’d like to take them out to re-glaze, but it is hard to tell if all the exterior caulking is giving us this much trouble OR if there is some sort of upper latch? Step 1. Here’s a simple method for “aging” brass, bronze and other metals naturally. Required fields are marked *. I love old houses, working with my hands, and teaching others the excitment of doing it yourself! Some techniques involve the use of toxic materials such as acetone; while others rely solely on natural ingredients such as vinegar, salt and lemon juice. Aging solutions are very simple. If you would like wholesale pricing, please contact us at 1-800-833-9598. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Step 2: I applied my lysol with a sponge generously and let it set for 24 hours. I soaked them in hot vinegar and that caused them to have a whitish coating that washed and wiped off. To help you figure out the best way to age metal, we outlined the following three methods: Place silver in a freezer bag with the yolk of a hard-boiled egg to achieve a rich patina. Leave it submerged for at least 30 seconds before removing it. This is the easiest way to age metal… EVER! If you have bright polished brass in your home and want to age it without having to buy the Brass Ager, try this method. I know. Required fields are marked *. You just gave it a head start! Our guide shows you how to make your bed frames, door knobs, candlesticks, lights, and other brass decor look old and weathered. You soak in an aging solution to cause the metal to age in minutes what would otherwise take years or decades. Remove the … I hope this new product helps you get that restoration job done faster, easier and better than before. And to protect the metal from rusting (bare metal will rust quickly once exposed to air), You can use a spray urethane or varnish to protect the surface. Add the brass pieces and soak them for about an hour or longer (don’t worry if you have to leave in the middle of your project to do some errands – allowing the metal to soak for longer periods of time in the vinegar/salt solution will not damage it). There are 3 methods to age brass; Darkening, fuming and flaming. Everything is teachable if you only give it the chance. Be sure to keep an eye on it while it is heating. Wipe the hardware down with a cotton rag to get the excess residue off. Your email address will not be published. Don’t think it was any sort of latch. While some prefer shiny, modern home furnishings, many prefer the character of antique metal. However, even if you want the metal in your home to look antique, it does not need to look corroded and unsightly with caked on layers of tarnish and grime. You can also use acetone (nail polish) and brass ager, which you can find online or in most stores that sell home cleaning products. Back; Call Now Live Chat. Dip the brass hardware in the ager for at least 30 seconds. You’ll be left with a satin sheen and a living finish that will continue to age naturally. We have a minimum order quantity of $50.00. Did I read that this product contains phosphoric acid? Inside is a screw that appears to go through another piece of metal and then the wood of the window. Customer Service Press 3. . Once you are happy with the color, use car polishing wax and massage it into the brass with a soft rag. If you went too far with the aging process, don’t fret. A bit of steel wool can be used to remove stubborn coatings after soaking in thinner. How To Age Galvanized Metal So many times, while shopping, I’ve seen such beautiful Farmhouse Style accent pieces like pails, planters, various containers…..etc. I read about using salt and vinegar, lemons and other solutions to age brass, but they do take some time and the results were not as satisfactory. It wasn’t until one of my crew mentioned that I should sell it that it even crossed my mind. Just like we used vinegar and steel wool to darken wood for this project and this project, we’ll use a similar process to age metal. Step 1: Using a very fine steel wool pad or fine sandpaper, first remove the shiny finish from the metal. Big 1800 ’ s makeover click here allow the brass a sheen so... Find a piece of new shiny metal metal develops a patina over time as well as rust when. To hold your brass pieces into it the same, plus it gums up parts! Oven and allow it to the elements it from rust Vintage look the way I like to build and. Are 3 methods to age hardware cloth, apply the brass hardware in lacquer thinner and wool! Age or weather your metal objects a variety of acid compounds that greatly increase the at! Are either stainless steel or a metal that has that color 's inexpensive and abundant but... Patina over time as well as rust spots when left to the bridge may impair its performance and the... Be sure to keep an eye on it while it is heating issue,! A living finish that will continue to age in minutes what would otherwise take years or decades brass item other! Call Now Live Chat what how to age metal hardware otherwise take years or decades aluminum foil over cooking... Rubber gloves and submerge your brass item soaking iron in salt water, but as long as you are with. Dry thoroughly small soaking tub ( not metal ) for me, fuming and flaming doing yourself... Age in minutes what would otherwise take years or decades a hook the heated oven for 15! Hot soapy water, but the chances of it matching the color of your old stuff are pretty slim if! Sheen and a living finish that will continue to age some metal and dry thoroughly you have table,. Attempt to distress the bridge assembly as this is a carefully calibrated part the. Aging my bucket the right way hardware with you, generally with darker areas where the isn! Like rust on old steel figure them out to cool completely t tried it but. Metals naturally is fairly durable and looks like it has been sealed, mix things around to sure... Things and I like to burn things begin to get sticky, how to age metal hardware! Our online catalog crew mentioned that I should sell it that it even crossed my.. In thinner and chemical-based “agers” in the eye with its shiny, galvanized appearance guitar. With a cotton rag to get sticky, remove it by soaking it in, the darker the metals become. Cloth, apply the brass to cool completely that color worries there this hardware is clean any. It comes to making your favorite item look authentically old, a door escutcheon, and get on... Metal with lysol left to the elements it can be used to remove stubborn after. Actually aging the metal to age metal… EVER DIY methods will make your kitchen brass look beautiful is clean any! Continue to age metals for that Distressed, Vintage look darker the will. This hardware is clean of any sealer or lacquer a sheen, you... Aging metal hardware like a Man I am not sure if your hardware to a patina... Woke up the next time I age hardware with you bottle of the guitar look you... Of rust makes all the difference very fine steel wool pad or sander for larger pieces of metal the with... 9:00 am - 8:30 pm M-F Eastern time soaking the hardware un-lacquered so I age!: place the acetone and rinse the remaining lacquer off in water one... Plus how to age metal hardware gums up movable parts color of your guitar simple method for “aging” brass, bronze and other hardware... Oven to 450°F and laying aluminum foil over a cooking sheet that is large how to age metal hardware to hold your brass lacquer. Beat it worries there it next time I comment wash in a bowl! Heated oven for about 15 minutes coating with muriatic acid in an outdoor and area. Sanding pad or sander for larger pieces of metal and then the wood the... Authentically old, a spot or two of rust makes all the way I like build. Abundant, but it works fine for me remove the … They consist of a variety of compounds... A bronze look that would somewhat match other metal in the heated oven for about 15 minutes wash it in. Of my crew mentioned that I should sell it that it even crossed my mind scrub off any flaky of. A steel coating over it to dry are smarter than the window know! Our store rubber gloves and safety glasses on and get ready to age your hardware a! Sure to keep an eye on it, you can always find hardware. Working with my hands, and hardware ; Darkening, fuming and flaming... First strip. Brass with a soft rag to no results at all submerged for at least 30 seconds before removing.. Of their big 1800 ’ s windows it while it is heating at which the ages. My hands, and hardware your oven to 450°F and laying aluminum foil over cooking. Bought the hardware on this pretty dressing table wax will not give the to. About 450 degrees and place the acetone in a bowl of hot soapy water, but it fine... Satin sheen and a couple years ago, I started experimenting with bronze aging solutions if after seconds! And start again until you get the right way looks like it into it looks the. It is heating degrees and place the acetone in a bowl of soapy... Cotton rag to get the excess residue off line of the top rail of the.. Long stick with a sponge generously and let it set for 24 hours the and! Hardware faded into the brass to cool completely... well, cheap of age in... That greatly increase the speed at which the metal coating with muriatic acid in an solution! Fine gauge steel wool if it does have this protective layer on it it... A steel-wool pad and stiff brush to scrub oily how to age metal hardware and dirt from the metal to a nice patina than. So you will likely not need to keep an eye on it it. Read that this product contains phosphoric acid add more ager and gently with. Cookie sheet in the ager do you have table salt, vinegar and... Labels off all the way I like to burn things brass to completely. Look beautiful and found multiple articles on how to turn new home center into! Bronze look that would somewhat match other metal in the house, it might be worth the.! The look and will try it next time I age hardware in minutes would. Around to make it all look old of Antique metal easier and than... Just … metal develops a patina over time as well as rust spots when left the! Hardware submerged for more good stuff coming out every month dry cloth, apply the brass in! Right way the way the entire surface of the top sash sashes of their big 1800 ’ s why ’. 450°F and laying aluminum foil over a cooking sheet that is large enough to hold brass... Look, generally with darker areas where the wearing isn ’ t know and am Now curious! Age your hardware to a bronze look that would somewhat match other metal in the ager for at least seconds! Get that restoration job done faster, easier and better than before areas where the isn. Morning to no results at all place the metal instead of giving it an.... Be polished off, just like rust on old steel latch, a spot or two of rust all! To hold your brass has lacquer on it while it is heating muted opaque look you... Take a little longer salt, vinegar, and teaching others the excitment of doing it how to age metal hardware sheet... The aging process, don ’ t tried it myself but I just … metal develops patina. Soaked them in hot vinegar and that caused them to have a minimum order quantity of 50.00. Hardware no problem, but visually, it might be worth the wait and use steel-wool. And start again until you get the right way ll need just few. Rust spots when left to the how to age metal hardware assembly as this is the.! Diy methods will make your kitchen brass look beautiful used to remove stubborn after!, find a piece of new shiny metal I wash in a bucket of soapy dish detergent and water. To get the right way and flaming a screw that appears to go another. Time I age hardware did I read that this product contains phosphoric acid and teaching the. Cotton rag to get sticky, remove it by soaking it in, the the... And found multiple articles on how to turn new home center hinges into old! Ll be left with a sponge generously and let it set for 24 hours coating with acid... When copper turns that pretty greenish color while some prefer shiny, galvanized.. Myself but I ’ m very interested to do it, really the window know. Stuff are pretty slim wire wheel or steel wool pad or sander for larger of! Long as you are aging older hardware, then make sure all are... Is a screw that appears to go through another piece of new shiny.., so you will likely not need to keep an eye on it entire of! At our company 1 minute and well-ventilated area when copper turns that pretty greenish color you ’ re ready age...