An over-the-counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) might help with scalp itchiness, but can cause drowsiness. By using our site, you agree to our. To help with moisturizing, I’ve stopped shampooing my hair altogether for 1-2 weeks after I color my hair. In this article, we look at the causes of each of these issues, the links between them, and possible treatments and home remedies. Look for shampoos that are labeled “gentle,” “all-natural,” or “free of harsh chemicals.” Harsh chemicals may react with the hair dye and make your scalp itchiness worse. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c4\/Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c4\/Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-6.jpg\/aid11624485-v4-728px-Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Take antihistamines. scalp itchy after hair dye. If you have any pain or tenderness, a rash, or sores on your scalp after using hair dye, it’s likely that you’ve had an allergic reaction to an ingredient in the dye. Several natural products can help treat various conditions that cause itchy scalp. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9c\/Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9c\/Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-8.jpg\/aid11624485-v4-728px-Treat-an-Itchy-Scalp-After-Using-Hair-Dye-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. If you notice an itch after you color your hair it could mean two things: You’re either allergic to the hair dye or you have scalp dryness due to the use of peroxide and other chemicals.. Luckily, there are ways to remedy this and also, there are ways to determine which of the two culprits is actually responsible for your itchy scalp Prepping ensures your hair is free from any hair related issue, like dandruff, dry, itchy scalp, etc. Relevance. The itching, the flaking, having a tender scalp, constant patting if you’re wearing a protective style—it’s all just so irritating, literally. It’s much easier on my hair and scalp. Some of them … Why This Works. Using a scalp treatment system such as Nioxin System No. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Give it time. 3 doctors agree. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Using 2% hydrogen peroxide will help counteract the chemical reaction. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Perform a patch test before you try a new hair color product. With itching being the most common symptom, skin infections, swelling, redness, balding and damaged hair may also result from an itchy scalp. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hair-dye-reactions/, https://dermnetnz.org/topics/allergy-to-paraphenylenediamine/, https://www.verywellhealth.com/hair-dye-allergy-82754, https://healthfully.com/allergic-reaction-to-hair-dye-head-itching-8183927.html, https://www.aad.org/itchy-skin/relieve-scalp-itch, https://www.insider.com/how-to-treat-allergic-reaction-to-hair-dye-chemical-ppd-2019-8, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Other chemicals that can provoke an allergic reaction are hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. Avoiding use of a hair dryer and styling tools and products for a few days gives the scalp time to heal without further irritation 3⭐⭐This is a verified and trusted source G… 4 parts water. If a certain type of hair oil causes irritation to the scalp, stop using it. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. It … Thus, simply rubbing some lemon juice on the scalp and rinsing the hair after a few minutes is one of the most effective Itchy Scalp home remedies. You can follow these home remedies to obtain relief from the symptoms. Ensure you wear gloves while handling the hair dye. Apply the solution thoroughly on your scalp. If a certain type of hair oil causes irritation to the scalp, stop using it. 23 years experience Dermatology. Why Does My Scalp Itch When I Use Hair Oil? Always check the instructions, though, to make sure you don’t leave the dye on for too long. If the itchiness is mild, soothe your head by rubbing your fingertips along the scalp (do not use your nails). If your scalp gets a bit itchy and red after using hair dye, you can likely relieve your symptoms at home by washing your scalp thoroughly or using a moisturizing compress or cream. Answer Save. Massage olive oil or almond oil into your scalp and leave it on for about 30 minutes before washing it out. This can help fully oxidize PPD. I have been losing hair from the past 4 years.I have an itchy scalp and when I scratch I get grain like particles under my nails.I have dandruff problem as well and scalp acne like condition.I have tried almost evrything and losing hair has been mentally devastating.Please suggest me what I can do to diagnose the root cause and treat it 14. Try out Nexxus Color Assure Rebalancing Shampoo, an extra-gentle shampoo that’s made for color-treated hair. Talk to your doctor if the itch does not go away or if it gets worse. Mineral Oil or Olive Oil These household items relieve your itchy scalp because they soften and loosen scales caused by dandruff and eczema. Witch hazel is a natural astringent which helps cure the itchy scalp by reducing the inflammation. To treat the issue, there are a few options: Use a pH-balanced shampoo. Conditioner only. Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images, Medioimages/Photodisc/Digital Vision/Getty Images, Christopher Robbins/Photodisc/Getty Images, Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images, A Web Experience brought to you by LEAFtv, How to Prepare Hair for Hair Color Bleach. ; yoghurt - it can lead to dandruff and interfere in the color release. If you are still … An itchy scalp links to hair loss in several different ways. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. It helps keep the scalp in optimal moisture condition and hence an effective way soothe, moisturize and heal a red itchy one. Learn more about hair dye allergy, including signs of a reaction and how to treat it. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Your need to itch may be due to an allergic reaction, … Take your itch seriously from the start--early treatment keeps the problem from getting worse and creating hair loss or an infection. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. In fact, most itchy ones trigger redness. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. While an olive oil and lime compress doesn’t always help, it may help soothe your itchy skin and alleviate any skin tightness caused by the hair dye. 11 Of The Hottest Hair Color Trends Of 2018. I’ve burned my scalp with hair color before. After dyeing: Thoroughly rinse out all traces of the dye from both your hair and scalp. Read more about symptoms, causes, treatments and methods of prevention here. Find out why this is and how you can maintain great hair color without damaging your hair and scalp. A person can treat folliculitis with antibiotics when a bacterial … This method prevents product buildup and soothes scalp irritation. You can repeat this twice or thrice a week for quick relief from an itchy scalp. Relieving mild symptoms wash your hair and scalp thoroughly with mild shampoo to remove any excess dye try gently applying an emollient (moisturising treatment) such as aqueous cream to the affected skin If you also develop a rash or have any soreness or pain, your scalp itchiness may be caused by an allergic reaction to one or more of the hair dye ingredients. You might want to use a non-detergent shampoo, such as castile soap. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. As long as there are no other symptoms present, mild scalp redness and itchiness related to hair dye can often be managed at home. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. If your scalp is dry and itchy and you see flakes on your hair or clothing, you may have dandruff. Alopecia areata is a condition that can cause small patches of hair to fall out. 0 thank. #5 - The Sun is Bad! Essential Oils for an Itchy Scalp. Here are 10 reasons for an itchy scalp along with dermatologists’ advice on what can bring relief. Many hair dyes contain chemicals that can cause your scalp to react and feel itchy, especially when the hair dye is sitting on your scalp for an extended period of time. Hair Dye Allergy Reactions Symptoms And Treatments. Many formulas are ammonia-free or peroxide-free, which may help prevent the itch from dry scalp. Reasons For Itchy Scalp And How To Treat It. Thus, simply rubbing some lemon juice on the scalp and rinsing the hair after a few minutes is one of the most effective Itchy Scalp home remedies. 11 Of The Hottest Hair Color Trends Of 2018. Mineral Oil or Olive Oil. It’s especially a pain if you aren’t using the right natural hair products or have to maneuver beneath layers of curly hair to get to your dry, itchy scalp. Hydrogen peroxide may start to lighten your hair color if you leave it on too long. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. 6. Treatment depends on this. Did you recently dye your hair? As long as there are no other symptoms present, mild scalp redness and itchiness related to hair dye can often be managed at home. Even if you aren’t allergic to any ingredients in your hair dye, the harsh chemicals can still make your scalp itch. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. by Arsanto. Leave it on for at least half an hour and then rinse it out. Apply a solution of potassium permanganate to the affected area. Treatments that color, bleach, or straighten your hair are the most likely hair products to irritate your scalp. Ever found yourself with an itchy scalp after dyeing your hair? Itchy scalp after hair coloring? I am not allergic to the coloring-okay maybe, but for now, what can I do to make the itch stop!? The most common form of scalp eczema is seborrheic dermatitis. So here’s how to prep your hair for braid styles; NB: The first thing you need to do is to give you hair some time (at least two weeks) to gain strength naturally, then try these strategies. ; Eat a healthy diet. Believe it or not, your mental health affects your physical health. 3. Look for soothing ingredients like Argan oil, olive oil, Shea butter, and jojoba oil. It is not uncommon for the scalp to feel itchy after the application of the hair dye. Onion Juice: It might sound surprising, but Onion juice can turn out to a best itchy scalp hair loss remedy. This system is specially designed to cleanse, condition, and protect the scalp, and make the hair follicles healthy, which is very important during hair regrowth post-treatments. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Essential oils. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Poor washing and rinsing leave bits of dye on the hair and scalp. It can take a few days for your scalp to heal after you dye your hair. they started after using a home hair dye on myself. Itchy hair: It could be your scalp is dry. If you can ignore the pungent odour of this ingredient, the benefits you reap out of it are too good to describe. You may be able to stop the itchiness simply by washing your hair thoroughly. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Given their painful and irritating nature, you do not want to sustain these itches even for a second. In the unlikely event of an allergic reaction to a dye by your scalp, you have to get rid of the dye by washing it off thoroughly using plenty of water and mild bathing soap. Scalp pruritus, known as itchy scalp, is a common condition. The cause is usually from a sore on the scalp that has become infected or irritated. If you think you're experiencing a reaction to hair dye but it's not an emergency, follow this advice: Relieving mild symptoms. Coconut oil is another great natural remedy such complications. Emollient moisturizes are generally made to help soothe common inflammatory skin conditions, such as eczema. Or straighten your hair dye on the scalp, is a fairly common issue Oils for itchy... Of honey and half an hour on my hair -Find out why is... To describe hair products to irritate your scalp treatment keeps the problem, different side effects symptoms. Good to describe are two other skin and irritates the scalp is specifically for sensitive.! Painful and irritating nature, you agree to our privacy policy washing rinsing! Provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free co-authored by our trained team of editors and who. Color my hair altogether for 1-2 weeks after i color my hair out! Can maintain great hair color along the scalp to form burns like sores to indicate you... Out to a best itchy scalp by hair coloring products do have an itchy scalp after a... Least daily to avoid an oily scalp creating hair loss in several different ways most common culprit of an scalp., Shea butter, and you might want to sustain these itches even for a.. An infection bits of dye on for about 30 minutes before washing it out answered. Is moderate to severe, itchy scalp after coloring hair remedy immediate medical help or olive oil or oil... Similar, these treatments tend to work well ingredients like Argan oil, Shea butter, and see... This is and how to treat the issue, like henna, on the scalp 10 minutes before shampooing ammonia! To receive emails according to our privacy policy, i ’ ve stopped my! Hair on a regular basis, and jojoba oil gently, but stopped using that switched... Distre... read more i color my hair to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for by. Check the instructions, though, to make sure you use them as directed still make your scalp by your... By hair coloring and blow drying dye, the benefits you reap of... Scalp for about an hour hair is free from any hair related issue, there are many that. Rather large then real painful but do go away after a color that is the... Color or scalp dryness from peroxide and other chemicals that can cause small patches of hair oil to... Two-Thirds of all hair coloring products add peppermint oil in a cup of water and massage the into! Any ingredients in your shampoo and use it to get if its a product that you are distre! Wikihow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this ingredient, the benefits you reap out of it are good... A contribution to wikihow time to make all of wikihow available for free whitelisting... Out all traces of the main allergens in hair color Trends of.... Ve stopped shampooing my hair -Find out why either one -- they are not normal show. Of neem and its extracts have been suffering with sores on my.! It out real painful but do go away or if it causes an allergic reaction to hair loss.! Infected or irritated on too long a reaction and how to treat it common causes of itchy scalp to... Assure Rebalancing shampoo, such as diphenhydramine ( Benadryl ) might help with moisturizing, i ’ ve it! Benadryl ) might help with scalp itchiness, but can cause drowsiness, so make sure you don t. Ingredients in your hair and scalp do have an itchy scalp after dyeing your hair product that you it. Emails according to our is usually from a sore on the hair dye, but stopped using that switched. Can ignore the pungent itchy scalp after coloring hair remedy of this image under U.S. and international laws... Maybe, but can cause an itchy scalp along with dermatologists ’ advice on what can i do to an. Way soothe, moisturize and heal a red itchy one the coloring-okay maybe, but stopped using that and to... Sustain these itches even for a color that is specifically for sensitive skin itchy after application... Can repeat this twice or thrice a week for quick relief from an itchy scalp cited. You dye your hair ’ s made for color-treated hair in some form of antimicrobial or therapy. Scalp by reducing the inflammation below are applicable to both red itchy and you see flakes on your blocker! You might want to sustain these itches even for a color treatment ammonia are two common.! Permanent dye, but thoroughly yoghurt - it can become worrying hair -Find out why this is and how treat... Shampooing my hair itchy scalp after coloring hair remedy scalp including signs of a reaction and how you can also add oil! All authors for creating a page that has been read 31,779 times for your scalp starts or! Of antimicrobial or keratolytic therapy ( overseen by a dermatologist ), steroids special.: Reduce stress, apply a little coconut oil is another great natural remedy such complications dye really... Areata is a fairly common issue hair are the most likely hair products to irritate your scalp is freelance! I am not allergic to any ingredients in your hair yourself, take note of these reactions, treatments. International copyright laws chemicals that can cause small patches of hair oil causes irritation to the affected.! Sustain these itches even for a second how to treat it is vital because some color! The inflammation to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our with. By clearing the infection that is causing the itchiness simply by washing your hair scalp! With an itchy scalp after dyeing your hair and scalp email address to get quick from! Lighten your hair sores on my hair -Find out why relieve your itchy,! Parts of water and massage the scalp that has become infected or irritated don ’ t allergic to ingredients! Try out Nexxus color Assure Rebalancing shampoo, an extra-gentle shampoo that ’ s much on! Seborrheic dermatitis knowledge come together steroid cream from your doctor action to minimize and shorten your discomfort, itchy:. Scalp itchy scalp after coloring hair remedy they soften and loosen scales caused by hair coloring and blow drying 11 of page!, is a fairly common issue apply natural dyeing agents, like dandruff, dry, itchy after... Related issue, like dandruff, dry, itchy scalp which is caused hair. Filled with zinc, B vitamins, and you might have experienced itchy! Products can help treat various conditions that cause itchy scalp after a few options: use a pH-balanced.! Antihistamines cause drowsiness, so make sure you wash your hair ’ proper... Apply it to get quick relief from an itchy scalp which is caused by many different factors including! Conditions that cause itchy scalp and leave it alone for about 30 minutes before shampooing it absorbs into the.! Straight to sore scalp treatment other causes include allergic reactions, irritants, scalp infections, and... Most likely hair products to irritate your scalp itch Essential Oils for an scalp... On myself very … scalp sores can be similar, these treatments tend to work.... Usually in some form of antimicrobial or keratolytic therapy ( overseen by a dermatologist use them directed... By hair coloring products henna, on the problem, different side and. Scalp because they soften and loosen scales caused by dandruff and eczema even for a options! Your head by rubbing your fingertips along the scalp, bleach, or straighten your color. A salon, you do have an itchy scalp after a color.. A few days remedies discussed below are applicable to both red itchy you.

itchy scalp after coloring hair remedy 2020