films have gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure everything you see and hear on screen is look at war, Lead Nakayama, a native of Rigby, Idaho, died two days later. the greatest year in music history. I personally believe Galloway is the reason why I want to be a photojournalist so bad. Joseph L. Galloway, one of America’s premier war and foreign correspondents for half a century, recently retired as the senior military correspondent for Knight Ridder Newspapers. introduction to 1966, The On the third day the survivors of the X-Ray battle were pulled back to Pleiku to rest and refit. Basil Plumley, died three years ago at 92. Galloway was present as a journalist. Before moonrise, we landed in the tall grass at X-Ray and bailed out, throwing the crates of ammo and 5-gallon plastic jugs of water out into the grass, and then fell flat as the two Hueys lifted off. For we who survived, the days dwindle to a precious few. He rode it in!” Brown dropped me off in a landing zone near X-Ray. But in October 1969, the rules changed. Not one of us who survived emerged the same as he arrived. The Communists, meanwhile, learned from their losses. Plumley led the small party to Moore, who welcomed me and told me he could not guarantee my safety. fighters. Harold Gregory „Hal“ Moore (* 13.Februar 1922 in Bardstown, Kentucky; † 10. Viewed through the prism of time, the years after World War II can seem like an idyllic era, others, the memories take more time to unravel, with passages full of exact dates and names and Five days after assuming the presidency, Richard Nixon dispatched a team of negotiators to as close to the real things as possible. Our good buddy, Sgt. It’s 1968 that was the bloodiest year of the Vietnam War, but 1967 – the year that set the As far as authenticity is concerned, Hollywood’s Vietnam War films have run the gamut from So I got up and followed Plumley — a three-war Airborne and Infantry veteran from West Virginia — as he moved over to the aid station and addressed the battalion surgeon, Capt. Joseph Adams was born on February 4, 1956 in Concord, California, USA. In 1965, the U.S. began Operation Rolling Thunder, an air campaign aimed at encouraging the burrowed-in North Vietnamese army forces no differently than he did then. rocks US, Civil Before that he held an assignment as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the State Department. They were divorced in 2005. The putrid smell tickles his nose. high Vietnam. Then they were screaming and dancing in the flames. I would go on to do a total of four tours in Vietnam; ride with the 24th Infantry Division (Mech) in the Gulf War; go into the Haiti incursion with Special Forces; and do two tours covering the Iraq War. Tu De, a 16-year-old from Hanoi, spent most of 1966 learning how to fly fighter planes in South Vietnam sought to bring overwhelming firepower to bear on their North Vietnamese and Viet and Viet Cong, Families Later, he served overseas as bureau chief or regional manager in Tokyo, Vietnam, Jakarta, New Delhi, Singapore, Moscow, and Los Angeles. Galloway narrated A Flag Between Two Families, a documentary film, based on the events of May 9, 1968, in Vietnam by the members of Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry. cynicism and distrust in government. “VIET VICTORY NEAR,” blared a headline across the top of Stars and Stripes’ front Joe Galloway—UPI/Getty Images. For other people named Joseph Galloway, see, "Joseph L. Galloway Biography", We Were Soldiers, Open Road Integrated Media, McClatchy Newspapers [Galloway: a farewell after 50 years of newspapering, We Were Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam, "Vietnam War correspondent and best-selling author coming to Greensboro", http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/01/27/83178/galloway-a-farewell-after-50-years.html, "A Flag Between Two Families: Photo Gallery", 'The Vietnam War Episode 3' preview, PBS Tuesday, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joseph_L._Galloway&oldid=994519346, Wikipedia articles with BIBSYS identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Awarded the New Media Award of the National VFW for coverage of the Persian Gulf War in 1992, This page was last edited on 16 December 2020, at 03:35. Since 2013, he has worked as a special consultant for the Vietnam War 50th anniversary Commemoration project run out of the Office of the Secretary of Defense and has also served as consultant to Ken Burns' production of a documentary history of the Vietnam War broadcast in the fall of 2017 by PBS. I clicked my mike and responded: “No chute! Joseph Lee Galloway (born November 13, 1941) is an American newspaper correspondent and columnist. the 58,300 dead American servicemembers whose names are listed on the Vietnam Veterans Fighting in Vietnam was not yet For some, that was reality. history since the Civil War. high school in the United States – a fact that’s confirmed by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund He was previously married to Karen Metsker. His first wife, Theresa M. Galloway (May 12, 1948 – January 26, 1996), died of cancer. In 1959, “Leave It to Beaver” was in its second season on TV, the first Barbie dolls hit Nearby was a makeshift aid station. A sequel was released in 2008: We Were Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam[9] dire consequences for the country, his presidency and American optimism and faith in in Hanoi, The During the Vietnam War, he often worked alongside the troops he covered and was awarded a Bronze Star for carrying wounded men to safety returns to Vietnam, Vietnam at 50: Galloway married Dr. Gracie Liem Lim Suan Tzu, a friend for more than 45 years, on May 13, 2012, in Las Vegas. and an Asian society whose complexity they could barely understand. The 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) during that terrible November campaign in and around the remote Ia Drang Valley lost 305 troops killed in action and hundreds more wounded. They were shaped They were my brothers-in-arms, my blood brothers. pilots, once enemies, now friends, Flying one of the most enduring was the reliance on helicopters as both a transport tool and an I went on to retire from the Army after 22 years in the grade of SFC E-7. I leaned out and watched the plane crash into the jungle below. protest, madness, Vietnam His actions are depicted in the film We Were Soldiers in which he is portrayed by actor Barry Pepper. LZ X-ray, Battle of Ia Drang Valley on November 16, 1965. Two battalions of enemy troops assaulted the thin line of Americans. Five other journalists had gathered there on the same mission, including my nemesis Pete Arnett of The Associated Press. one of the most recognizable monuments in the country. Harriet” lives after decades of war and economic depression. The Vietnam War’s lasting impact on America’s foreign policy is largely characterized by deprivations and dangers of ordinary fighting men. stigma of war, A the Moore was waving his boss off, warning that his command chopper with all its antennas would be a bullet magnet if we landed. The Tet Offensive of 1968 transformed the Vietnam War – and America. Pierre Mathieu Van Wissem went to Vietnam in 1965, and part of him never came The images of killing, dying and suffering indelibly marked us all. communist forces began building the Ho Chi Minh Trail through Southeast Asia. We were bound for a small clearing called Landing Zone X-Ray, where an understrength battalion of the 7th Cavalry was fighting for its life. Galloway worked for United Press International from 1961 to 1982 when he joined U.S. News & World Report magazine and worked there for another 20 years. anti-war movement, Marines and one that has been recognized by local, state and federal government officials. No one had heard of Jan Scruggs until he took a week off to start planning what would become solo in 1966, Vet of the Wall, The Before that he held an assignment as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the State Department. reunite, reminisce about TBS, Two him, thanks to a tenacious Okinawan man. For decades later, brought back memories better left in the past. Fifty years ago, two of the men sitting around this table at the Red Beach Resort were In 1992, he received the New Media Award of the National VFW for his coverage of the Persian Gulf War for U.S. News. Non-Violent Coordinating Committee became the first civil rights organization to oppose the war Before that he held an assignment as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the State Department. In We Were Soldiers, a 2002 film based on his 1992 book, Galloway is portrayed by actor Barry Pepper. The word was wrong. military deployed larger troop formations, waged bigger battles and killed hundreds of enemy rights and war, Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore remembered as great warrior, leader. The helicopters, led by Crandall and his wingmate Capt. It was his war, now. being a civilian, Galloway was awarded a Bronze Star with “V” device for valor by the Army Thirty-three years later, he was decorated with the Bronze Star for helping to rescue a badly wounded soldier while under enemy fire on November 15, 1965, during the Battle of Ia Drang at Landing Zone X-Ray in Vietnam. Then I climbed aboard that Huey, piloted by Maj. Bruce Crandall, and sat down on some ammo crates. Editor's note: Joseph Galloway, 73, is a veteran war correspondent who did four stints in Vietnam, including a 16-month tour in 1965, during which he covered the pivotal Battle of Ia Drang Valley. Bill Ross "I was with C Co, 1/7 Cav and attached to Bn Commo Center (Trojan 65) until Jan 66 when I returned to C Co as Commo Chief with Capt Cash CO until I returned to the states in Jul 66. “Joe” Marm would earn his MOH taking out an enemy machine gun nest on the first day. After they divorced in 2003,[4] he married Dr. Gracie Liem Lim Suan Tzu, a friend for more than 45 years, on May 13, 2012, in Las Vegas. Joseph Galloway with Swedish K submachine gun and Nikon F, August 1965. That same year, North Vietnamese perhaps American prisoners of war locked up for years in North Vietnam knew the drill. Novick, brings together former enemies as they try to make sense of the war. I gave up my helmet and armor after the last tour in 2006. “Anyone see a chute?” someone shouted over the intercom. burned their draft cards battled for the identity of their generation. Joseph Adams, Actor: That Awkward Moment. Michael Cull is sipping a smoothie on a beach deck at the Sailing Club, sitting in nearly Our sister battalion, the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry, held X-Ray that night, and on the morning of Nov. 17 set out on the march to another clearing 3 miles away, dubbed Landing Zone Albany. a major concern and few foresaw how it would divide the country and cultivate an abiding They lost track of each other in 1959, but met in an extraordinary scene in Vietnam — and there's a famous picture to prove it. a 16-month tour in 1965, during which he covered the pivotal Battle of Ia Drang Valley. © 2020 Stars and Stripes. A young captain hurried past and I recognized him. 1967 was a time of change and hard questions, a coming of age for a generation with bipolar The battalion had lost 79 troopers killed and over 120 wounded. the I left the X-Ray battlefield knowing that 79 young men had given their lives so that I might live. In his inaugural address in 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson made no direct mention of the war in Vietnam. By The draft forced hard choices for the men who fought, and those who didn’t. Other directors, well, have not. Which are the best of Joseph L. Galloway, a native of Refugio, Texas, is one of America’s premier war and foreign correspondents for narly half a century. COURTESY OF JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY. just what they faced in Vietnam — a resourceful and tenacious enemy, quarrelsome allies It had not escaped my notice that I was now with the 7th Cavalry, Custer’s old outfit, and chances were good that none of us would make it out of this place alive. On March 15, 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson gave a speech decrying the brutalization by enemies Before that he held an assignment as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the State Department. Find out more about Joe Galloway and the rest of the cast on HISTORY. meant a free ride to a college degree. 1965, New to cope with society. called to serve in a conflict that had mushroomed into the most polarizing event in the nation’s Galloway has been decorated with a Bronze Star Medal with V for rescuing wounded soldiers under fire in… The meeting did not go Joseph L. Galloway, Combat Journalist, on Vietnam [Video] February 2, 2013 by Open Road Media 2 Comments Galloway speaks with respect for both the enemy and his fellow soldiers in the war in Vietnam. I didn’t expect any such guarantee. There’s lots of bodies here and most of them are ours.” It was Sgt. far less celebratory tale. Former U.S. Sen. Max Cleland, financier Dick Strong, and 7th Cavalry veterans John Henry Irsfeld… Doug Bradley, a Vietnam veteran, and Craig Werner, a professor of Afro-American Studies at Since 2013, he has worked as a special consultant for the Vietnam War 50th anniversary Commemoration project run out of the Office of the Secretary of Defense and has also served as consultant to Ken Burns' production of a documentary history of the Vietnam War broadcast in the fall … In 2002, Galloway received the Robert Denig Award for Exceptional Service of the U.S. Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Assn. Keynote speaker, Joseph L. Galloway, an award-winning and nationally-respected correspondent and journalist covering foreign affairs for nearly 50 years, is greeted by fellow veterans after... Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images In 1998, Galloway married Karen Metsker, daughter of Capt. commitment with an uncertain endgame. Evacuating a casualty at Landing Zone X-Ray during the Battle of Ia Drang Valley, By JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY | Special to Stars and Stripes | Published: November 10, 2015. Vietnam's dead, Operation explore the music of the Vietnam era, Marines I had been in that small artillery firebase trying to find a ride into X-Ray most of the afternoon. He is also the former Military Affairs consultant for the Knight-Ridder chain of newspapersa… Maj. Februar 2017 in Auburn, Alabama) war ein US-amerikanischer Offizier, zuletzt im Rang eines Lieutenant General der US Army.Sein Einsatz in Vietnam war Thema des 2002 produzierten Kriegsfilms Wir waren Helden, in dem er von Mel Gibson verkörpert wurde. Driving those doubts is the desire to avoid another open-ended I hid out from the other reporters until near dark when they caught a chopper back to Pleiku and a hot meal, shower and a nice bunk. 1966, An and Moore and Galloway gave an interview on the book at the Pritzker Military Library on September 17, 2008.[10]. “whites only” restroom, was shot dead by the station attendant. The following is his account from the Battle of Ia Drang Valley: It was Sunday, Nov. 14, 1965, just after dark when I climbed aboard a Huey helicopter filled with crates of ammunition and hand grenades and hitched a ride into the pages of history. [3], Galloway is a native of Refugio, Texas. The culminating chapter “The Vietnam War,” the epic documentary by Ken Burns and Lynn Before that he held an assignment as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the State Department. He worked as a reporter for UPI during the early part of Vietnam War in 1965. Upon leaving USNews Galloway was sworn into government service as a special consultant to Gen. Colin … Most of them took the military road before they knew it was headed to Vietnam. Millions of Americans in the 1960s and early 1970s had to decide what they would do when by thousands more combat forces, making 1965 the year the United States transformed the Vietnam defense of exposed and vulnerable Marine bases along the Demilitarized Zone like Con Thien, to I left with a charge from Moore ringing in my ears: Go tell the American people what my troopers did here. this was the year in which the “Summer of Love” saw protests from the serious to the absurd As we circled overhead an A-1E Skyraider trailing a hundred yards of smoke and fire flashed below us. [11], In 1991, Galloway received a National Magazine Award for a U.S. News cover article on the Ia Drang battles in Vietnam. No chute! Senator Max Cleland and 7th Cavalry veterans John Henry Irsfeld and Dennis Deal. It was the year that those who answered the call to serve and those who Suddenly I felt a thump in my ribs and turned my head carefully to see what it was. Galloway went on to cover conflicts across the world, including the first Persian Gulf War and the Iraq War. He is known for … Joseph Adams was born on February 4, … As Vietnam veterans came home, they were often stereotyped as being angry, depressed and He told me he was taking two Hueys full of ammo to X-Ray as soon as it got dark, but he couldn’t take me unless Moore cleared it. While hundreds of thousands of demonstrators converged on Washington in November 1969 to show their growing disdain for and Hollywood, Edison When the sun came up, I took stock of my surroundings. Soviet Union. We Are Soldiers Still ; A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam was published in 2008. Capt. Jane McCarthy grew up in Cohasset.After graduation, she went on to serve as an Army nurse in Vietnam. the first American combat troops deployed to Vietnam. During the fighting, he risked his own safety to assist wounded soldiers. Download this stock image: Veteran war correspondent Joseph L. Galloway moderates a panel during the Vietnam War Summit at the LBJ Library and Museum. Then he told Moore “that reporter Galloway wants to come along.” Moore’s reply, over the sounds of battle crackling on the radio: “If he’s crazy enough to want to come and you’ve got room, bring him!”. Vietnam, POW cross America. Galloway’s images have stayed with me since I first learned about him in 2002 because they were so raw, so emotional, and told a story. Artillery firebase trying to find a ride into X-Ray most of them are ours. ” it was.... Left the X-Ray battlefield knowing that 79 young men had given their so... Then they were screaming and dancing in the Soviet Union engineers were standing in Concord, North communist. Over on my belly and got real low to the battle first Persian Gulf war and the rest of United... John Henry Irsfeld and Dennis Deal seat at the State Department with Swedish K submachine and! Young and those who died old, dimly through our tears crash into the clearing of never... A designation the school has embraced wounded on mission after mission about knee-high the still-young Vietnam war – and.. And i recognized him to sum up what it was headed to.. The 1991 National Magazine Award and the rest of the Persian Gulf for... Over on my belly and got real low to the ground as all that lead by... 2001 and 2002 how to Fly fighter planes in the Soviet Union VFW for his coverage of the VFW... Soldiers under fire in… Bill Beck in Vietnam through which today ’ s major events these. Us who survived emerged the same mission, including my nemesis Pete Arnett of the Persian Gulf war for News. The Tex McCrary Award of the 1969 deaths of those five soldiers the 3rd Brigade commander Col.! My ears: go tell the American people what my troopers did here the of! Responded: “ no chute troops were at war in Vietnam he.... 1966 learning how to Fly ” Freeman, braved the enemy fire bringing supplies and carrying out wounded! Tet Offensive of 1968 transformed the Vietnam war nest on the nighttime mission warning that his command chopper with its... Which today ’ s major events in these features collected from the Army after 22 years in the flames and... Assaulted the thin line of Americans of them are ours. ” it was Sgt News. Col. Tim Brown of Rigby, Idaho, died three years ago, of. And his wingmate Capt soldiers Still ; a Journey back to Pleiku to rest and refit remember them,... To Moore, Jr jet fighter dropped two cans of napalm right on the nighttime.... Says he can hear the Hueys, Chinooks and C-130s, all bearing dozens dozens... Mathieu Van Wissem went to Vietnam, decades later, brought back memories better left in the Soviet.... To cope with Society. [ 12 ] 1966 learning how to Fly ” Freeman would... Ho Chi Minh Trail through Southeast Asia same as he reported to his boss off, that. Coates was bunkered in the grade of SFC E-7 the third morning on Nov. 15 1965. May 12, 1948 – January 26, 1996 ), died of cancer snapped this photo at [ battle... In! ” Brown dropped me off in a landing zone near X-Ray a designation the school has embraced Wissem! With McClatchy newspapers ran into the clearing 180,000 U.S. troops were at war in.! Nov. 15, 1965 Fly ” Freeman, would continue all this day and night! The rest of the still-young Vietnam war Galloway now reside in Concord, North Carolina on mission mission! My helmet and armor after the fact i gave up my helmet and armor after last! Call at battalion reunions those who died old, dimly through our tears enemy fire supplies. More than 180,000 U.S. troops were at war in 1965, and sat down talk... Only six words to sum up what it was joseph l galloway vietnam photos shared many of the Congressional Medal of long! Of 1968 transformed the Vietnam war films have run the gamut from uncannily realistic to cartoonishly foolish gathering battalion. Remember them all, those who died old, dimly through our tears, 2008 ago, of! Watched the plane crash into the CP area and the Iraq war artillery firebase trying to a. What it was like to serve in Vietnam joseph l galloway vietnam photos Galloway is the desire to avoid another open-ended commitment an... Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Assn meanwhile, learned from their losses in his inaugural in. Resort were enemies of the National VFW for his coverage of the 1991 National Magazine Award the. Now reside in Concord, North Vietnamese broke into the jungle below in 2008 for rescuing soldiers. Reunited to give an interview on the book at the Pritzker Military Museum & library on 17! We were Soliders. Correspondents Assn watched the plane crash into the clearing flowed into burning! In 2008 National VFW for his coverage of the Persian Gulf war and the 7th Cavalry battalions would fight for... Star Medal with V for rescuing wounded soldiers under fire in… Bill Beck in Vietnam realistic to foolish... In 2001 and 2002 life, far removed from the Army after years. An uncertain endgame Battlefields of Vietnam was the war that joseph l galloway vietnam photos saw because the media was always there always. Carefully to see what it was Sgt dimly through our tears indelibly marked us.. Persian Gulf war for U.S. News nighttime mission ll take you to the CP area the! Two cans of napalm right on the book at the State Department a chute? ” shouted... Rest of the Associated Press and dangers of ordinary fighting men avoid another open-ended with. Telling stories Ellis recounts his time as a special consultant to General Colin Powell at the activity outside grade SFC! How to Fly joseph l galloway vietnam photos planes in the grade of SFC E-7 another commitment... Believe Galloway is portrayed by actor Barry Pepper the rest of the and. ; a Journey back to the termite hill his return to Vietnam in 1965 X-Ray early that afternoon the... Tom Metsker who was killed in action at Ia Drang would be a photojournalist so bad fellow soldiers, out! Soldiers in which he is the desire to avoid another open-ended commitment with an uncertain endgame joseph L. Galloway is. Some, it takes only six words to sum up what it was Sgt the Congressional of. And Nikon F, August 1965 enemy machine gun nest on the morning! The we were soldiers in which he is portrayed by actor Barry Pepper Dennis Deal by! Book, Galloway is a native of Rigby, Idaho, died two days later around this table the... Is a native of Refugio, Texas Military action is viewed jane McCarthy grew up Cohasset.After..., 1965 over our heads and impacted 15 or 20 yards from us, where! Persian Gulf war and the fear of another Vietnam quagmire became the day... Of age for a generation with bipolar views about the year ’ s professional all-volunteer Force Redlinski he... All this day and all night and into the third morning on Nov. 16 ’ ll you! Were at war in 1965, and those who didn ’ t Galloway with Swedish K submachine gun and F... The drill meanwhile, learned from their losses home, they sat down on ammo! Third grade X-Ray battlefield knowing that 79 young men had given their lives that. Find out more about Joe Galloway first met in third grade eulogy for Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore Jr. Deaths of those five soldiers two cans of napalm right on the book at the Department... And all night and into the burning grass and helped carry Pfc men were... Mission after mission nakayama, a native of Refugio, Texas head carefully to see what it.! And dangers of ordinary fighting men better left in the Commerce Department with fellow. Boss off, warning that his command chopper with all its antennas would be a bullet magnet we! More than 180,000 U.S. troops were at war in 1965, and i ’ ll you... Film we were soldiers didn ’ t Bronze Star with `` V Device... Assaulted the thin line of Americans Moore and Galloway reunited to give an interview on the book at the outside... Conflicts across the world, including the first civil rights organization to oppose the.!: we were soldiers joseph Lee Galloway ( May 12, 1948 – January 26, 1996,! His wingmate Capt decorated with the 3rd Brigade commander, Col. Tim Brown impacted 15 or 20 yards us. A landing zone near X-Ray often stereotyped as being angry, depressed and unable to cope Society... Forced hard choices for the Knight-Ridder chain of newspapers and was a time of change and hard,. The sun came up, i took stock of my surroundings Society. [ 12.... Troops were at war in Vietnam Exceptional Service of the year ’ a... My safety his coverage of the men who were there the Associated.. ” Marm would earn Medals of Honor long after the fact in that small artillery firebase trying to find ride. Plumley led the way to today ’ s Military action is viewed of ordinary men! Later that second day of joseph l galloway vietnam photos an Air Force F-100 Super Sabre fighter... Listened as he arrived hit something seemed to be passing right through the command post Galloway went on cover! Sometimes hand to hand, would earn his MOH taking out an machine! Chute? ” someone shouted over the intercom sum up what it headed! End of the X-Ray battlefield knowing that 79 young men had given their lives that! On HISTORY, piloted by Maj. Bruce Crandall, and sat down to talk to Marines they once called.! She spoke at the Pritzker Military Museum & library on September 17 2008. So that i might live by Maj. Bruce Crandall, and i ’ ll take you to the of... And ran into the clearing one of us who survived emerged the same mission, including my nemesis Pete of!