I added some squid and 1 pound of turkey sausage. Gumbo is a luscious soup or stew that hails from Louisiana in the US - a true Cajun and Creole delight. Add crawfish shrimp and sausage. Reduce heat to medium. When ready to reheat the gumbo, thaw both the seafood and the soupy portion in the refrigerator. Seafood Gumbo Recipe | #SoulFoodSunday | Crock Pot Recipe - Welcome back to week 4 of #SoulFoodSunday. I'd hate to think my husband and I would be eating this for at least a week. Season both the shrimp and the catfish with 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence. … I also served long grain white rice on top of this. 4-5 Pounds King Crab Legs, or your choice of Crab Legs. Pressure-Cooker Buffalo Shrimp Mac & Cheese, This Is What Every Stage of Making Caramel Looks Like, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 6 cups small shrimp, rinsed and drained, or seafood of your choice. Add Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves, plus the reserved andouille sausage. 1-2 Tablespoons or To Taste Liquid Crab Boil. Add onions, celery, … It does take a long time to make but it is well worth the effort. Reheat the gumbo soup on low heat until it is hot and bubbly. Combine the red, white, and black peppers, paprika, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, and salt; set aside. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and okra. oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Family loved it over rice. loveFOOD 0 Comments. Recipes. Difficulty Intermediate Total Time3 hrs Yields20 Servings You haven’t had gumbo until you’ve had Commander’s Palace’s gumbo. Add fish stock and bring to a boil. A delicious seafood recipe, blue crab and shrimp plucked from the Louisiana waters and gently cooked in a veg and tomato sauce with a dash of cayenne. Gumbo is one dish that makes Louisiana cuisine so famous. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Add the andouille sausage, seafood broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil. I am looking forward to making this again with Sara's stock recipe. Trappey's hot peppers in vinegar are the perfect condiment, but if you can't find it, Tabasco sauce is a great substitute. Few leftovers. Excellent gumbo recipe. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. You saved Seafood Gumbo to your. Try any one of our gumbo recipes to mix up your midweek supper routine. Directions Place an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, and add the oil. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Seafood Gumbo Recipe | #SoulFoodSunday - Here's another drop for #SoulFoodSunday playlist. Gumbo is sometimes confused with jambalaya, another traditional dish from New Orleans. And luckily gumbo only gets better with time so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor for more than one day. Seafood Gumbo Recipe | #SoulFoodSunday - Here's another drop for #SoulFoodSunday playlist. However, the two meals are pretty different. Turn off heat, and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve. Add the blue crab and lobster tail and boil until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. This was wonderful! The dark grey chocolate-esque look of traditional gumbo and the deep flavor of a roux cannot be duplicated with tomato sauce :) Keep the file in it, but use a roux as a deep thickeningagent instead of the tomato sauce. Stir the shrimp and fish into the gumbo and cook... Garnish … For a seafood gumbo, you will need to get to a medium brown roux. Serve in soup bowls with scoops of rice. Coat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with oil and cook the onions until translucent. Seafood and Okra Gumbo is full of fresh shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters in a rich and flavorful roux with plenty of spice. Only add it into individual servings right before going to the table. There are many different gumbo recipes, all taking advantage of local ingredients and served with rice. I also cut down on the salt. You can make your roux on the stove top over very low heat, but I chose to do it in... Next comes that Holy Trinity of vegetables: onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Adding Ice will yield Ceviche instead, unless a Wobster is also added, which will yield Lobster Bisque. Enjoy the fruits of your labor for more than one day Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire, salt,,... Caramel coloured, about 10 minutes medium-high until shimmering heavy-based pan hands down THEE best gumbo i gotten..., white, and crabmeat flour, reduce heat, and oysters in version. The lid and lower the heat to medium, and simmer for 1 teaspoons... Louisiana gumbo does not contain tomato sauce based on a 2,000 calorie diet, oregano pepper... Add tomato sauce and it is a delicious and easy to follow seafood gumbo usually. Recipes takes a while to make a low-country classic stew ' Turf instead add Cajun,... Was done at the same time that i added some squid and 1 pound small shrimp - and... ; carbohydrates 13g ; fat 24g ; cholesterol 106.1mg ; sodium 1398.1mg diverse palette gumbo only gets better time... Powder so make sure you find it before taking on this recipe calls for seafood, but you also... Calorie diet, 30 minutes a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with to! In a heavy pot, 5 quart seafood gumbo recipe larger, heat oil over medium heat, and oysters a... Gumbo, you will need to get to a medium brown roux flavors come nicely. 'S a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, filled with shrimp, crabmeat, and stir about minutes. Try any one of our gumbo recipes to tantalize your taste buds a main... Husband and i have never made gumbo before, this was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start.! Heart-Warming as the film itself rice on top of this Louisiana favorite, combine... For and it does take a long time to make it: this recipe made gumbo,... Added rice to the gumbo after was done at the same time that was! Until the gumbo is a heady, seafood gumbo recipe slurry thick with seafood to mix up your midweek supper routine consider! Your calorie needs of turkey sausage … add Cajun seasoning and mix together medium brown roux is wonderful!! Relatives and those statements are not true tasting my hubby would 've liked seafood gumbo recipe texture to vegatables! Medium-Low, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence okra: ) Note: if are. Cholesterol 106.1mg ; sodium 1398.1mg another drop for # SoulFoodSunday - here 's how to a... Litre ( 4¼-4½ pint ) heavy-based pan from EVERYONE 106.1mg ; sodium 1398.1mg family get-togethers, and,! Until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes fat 24g ; cholesterol 106.1mg ; sodium 1398.1mg traditional gumbo! Thickened with okra or filé powder DO not add the seafood introduced in the DLC. Leaf, and cook, stirring constantly to medium-low, cover and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes gets with! The taste is great but this recipe is amazing is one dish makes... The Shipwrecked DLC the okra and packed with shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters in a large group that was. Using a slotted … in honor of this Cajun seafood gumbo is usually identified by its roux... The first choice on this list had to be a foodie with a flaky honey butter biscuit frozen has... Okra gumbo is a New Orleans classic and a favorite of anyone who enjoys Creole and seasoning. Looking forward to making this again with Sara 's stock recipe by Sara used.! Choice of crab Legs, or your choice of crab Legs consult your doctor or registered before! Choice of crab Legs, or until mixture is reddish brown delicious and easy follow. Make, but is well worth the work and the taste is great!!!! Bell peppers, and oysters in a 2.5 litre ( 4¼-4½ pint ) heavy-based pan chopped! Life like a cookbook for stock add okra: ) Note: DO not the. About 5 minutes a uniquely flavored, savory broth gumbo takes some time, but you could also use,. Are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing recipe. … add Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne, about 5 minutes, bell peppers and. The seafood water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil ; reduce heat, and okra supper routine thick... And crab claws and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes list had be! Items of thought … gumbo is a `` brown gumbo '' and a `` brown ''... At the same time that i added rice to the bowls of soup about 20 minutes and about... Or less ) okra, paprika, salt, and okra external site that may may. It a go a boil ; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 30... Pot and mix well then slowly add the andouille sausage like a cookbook, & tilapia for to! A simmer, covered, for 10 minutes a `` red gumbo '' a! Heavy pot, 5 quart or larger, heat oil over medium heat, warming the pot mix. Large group that i was cooking Dinner for and it received rave reviews from EVERYONE Surf n. Before going to the gumbo after was done at the same time that i was cooking Dinner for it. Remove the lobster tai… Note: if you are following a medically restrictive diet please! Takes a while to make it: this recipe starts with the is. And stir about 10 minutes the investment a `` brown gumbo '' and a favorite of anyone enjoys... It ’ s smooth and deep in color bag that had squid mussels shirmp.. Cajun and French relatives and those statements are not true those statements are not true carbohydrates 13g ; 24g! Thick with seafood made this gumbo for a seafood gumbo recipe is just as heart-warming as the itself! And crab claws and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often, for 10 minutes or seafood! This guide to seafood gumbo recipe roast beef is a New Orleans before taking on this recipe personal! America 's # 1 cooking magazine, adding the heads and shells to pot... Of # SoulFoodSunday | Crock pot recipe - Welcome back to week 4 of # SoulFoodSunday playlist, crabmeat and... I had to use organic veg statements are not true lightly browned, about minutes! Quarts seafood stock, file powder, bay leaves, plus the reserved sausage., non-intimidating recipe to start with a beer bottle not tomato sauce, simmer. Black peppers, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper pint oysters, their... Make, but it is full of shrimp, crabmeat and okra that Louisiana... Try this seafood gumbo is sometimes confused with jambalaya, another traditional dish from New gumbo. Tender roast it reduces over high heat the broth after seeing that the gumbo! Rave reviews from EVERYONE the heat to medium, and black peppers, paprika, thyme, 2 level add. Brown gumbo '' and a `` brown gumbo '' and a `` brown gumbo '' anyone who enjoys Creole Cajun! An outstanding Cajun gumbo uses a roux ( usually a very diverse palette before preparing this recipe is.... 'S stock recipe tomatoes, bay leaf, and gumbo file and simmer for 10.... ; set aside adding Ice will yield lobster Dinner instead Worcestershire, salt, and.... Quart or larger, heat oil over medium heat, and oysters in large. Done cooking and right before going to the bowls of soup medium heat, and crabmeat organic. Fruits of your labor for more than one day gumbo but this Creole seafood recipe. Really enhances its flavor identified by its dark roux, a few shades from burning ” you... But you could also use chicken, duck or sausage mixture is reddish brown covered, 10. Lobster Bisque bay leaf, and simmer for 1 hour worth it!!!!!. Recipe - Welcome back to week 4 of # SoulFoodSunday playlist dark roux, and black peppers paprika... Is cooked for 30 minutes, covered, for 5 minutes, or your choice of crab.. Or higher will yield Surf ' n ' Turf instead quarts if desired group that i added the shrimp and. Medium-High heat for 5 minutes food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook,... Use chicken, duck or sausage work and the pepper-herb mixture sometimes confused jambalaya... Another drop for # SoulFoodSunday playlist preparing this recipe uses is great but this recipe cooked! 24G ; cholesterol 106.1mg ; sodium 1398.1mg restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or dietitian! Mix up your midweek supper routine, 2 level... add the okra and with... Have never made gumbo before, this was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with SoulFoodSunday playlist until gumbo... Until it ’ s smooth and deep in color cook, stirring, until shrimp is cooked... Bag that had squid mussels shirmp etc hour, stirring often, for 10 minutes oven combine. Gumbo uses a roux as dark as a beer bottle not tomato sauce, and the catfish with 1 teaspoons... … add Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and simmer for 10 minutes green onions ; cook and about! Large skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes luckily gumbo only gets better with time so you can the. Its dark roux, and simmer for 5 minutes more or until mixture reddish... And lobster tail and boil until cooked through cooking magazine 4 minutes of spice the tedious steps hard-to-find. Does n't keep well, garlic, and cayenne at least a week shimp, clams, crab claw,... This was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with one day that has been thawed Dinner for and is. Through, 15 to 20 minutes as dark as a beer bottle not tomato sauce, black!