Tundrahopper4 tundrahopper4, May 1, 2005 #34. newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter. They certainly don't honor our fallen soldiers, who have been sent to foreign soil to die for their oil, as a result of the lies that go all the way to the top of their REPUBLICAN party. Coming Home To Less Than A Hero's Welcome It's Veterans Day, and the families of soldiers who have come back from Iraq and Afghanistan can celebrate together. Acceptance and integrating, in general, will be difficult for the Veteran upon returning home. Not everyone agreed with WW2 but no soldiers were ever spit on. From pro football player to Vietnam Soldier. tundrahopper4 said: Newo, The first million bucks I make will result in teams of investigators being sent out on this one. By 1969, the animostiy towards our soldiers had begun to manifest itself in direct attacks against those of us in ROTC who were stubborn (or foolish) enough to continue to wear our uniforms to our other classes on the one day a week we wore them to ROTC instruction. 8 years ago. Was the treatment of Vietnam soldiers returning home somewhat mythical? By Dante A. Ciampaglia. Right now, I am reading a book about a Vietnam Veteran who turned to Buddhism for therapy, and he says he was spit on by a young woman at the airport upon arriving home. Coming Home: Vietnam Veterans in American Society. Why did it happen? That is how I landed on this site and how glad I am to be here. Vietnam veterans are social misfits, loners, prone to alcoholism and violence. A Vietnam vet who claims that he was spit on as a soldier. This attitude surely helps, but please remember, the soldier must train himself or herself to go from warrior mode to civilian mode. Yes we did, by a large majority until the last couple of years [of the war]. The process of returning to the U.S. felt like you were being sneaked back in. He said he dressed in his military best and, with a chest full of medals puffed out, was filled with patriotism and honor when he got off the airplane at a California airport. But, I heard a guy's story of coming home and how excited he was after having fought and won at Hamburger Hill. But coming home … Share on Twitter; Share on Facebook; Share on Reddit; Share on LinkedIn; Share via Email I wasn't a returning Vietnam vet, but I was an ROTC student at Colorado State University from 1967 to 1972. A soldier coming back from Vietnam would have been on a military flight vs. commercial; so civilians wouldn't be there when they landed. but it is still true that it was not cool to be a Vietnam veteran until about 1982. Ever since doing one of my internships at Sepulveda VA, the "how we treat our soldiers" issue has been one of my hot buttons. His name is Claude Anshin Thomas, and his book sits in front of me now, entitled AT HELL'S GATE. As far as the spitting goes, most Vietnam vets I knew came home in the middle of the night and knew to go change into civvies ASAP. A battle hardened soldier who was just coming back from Vietnam would have literally killed a punk kid spitting on them. After we returned home last night from our 3rd WHS experience, I Googled "Vietnam veterans returning home spit on at San Francisco Airport". Although hippies were sometimes accused of verbally attacking soldiers and spitting on veterans returning home from duty in Vietnam, or participating in the torching of ROTC buildings on college campuses, with the exception of a small radical fringe element, hippies did not verbally assault military personnel and did not condone acts of political violence. American soldiers returning home from Vietnam often faced scorn as the war they had fought in became increasingly unpopular. Did protestors spit on returning Vietnam vets? In Burlington, Vermont, a leader of the state National Guard told local television, "We've had some spitting incidents," and then claimed one of his Guardswomen had been stoned by anti-war teenagers. October 7, 2020 by Bob Dylan home & Post Traumatic war Syndrom returning.. H. Dickey ( 1971 ) Laos in the United States s one opinion and some possible answers glad am! You were being sneaked back in minimalize it disrespect to a soldier great kindness from strangers upon returning from... Image: Myth, Memory and the Legacy of Vietnam, they are welcomed with open.! Battle hardened soldier who risked their life to keep America safe from harm soldiers, they were upon... Insulted me with fewer ads safe from harm Levine ( 1972 ) Walking Away an Undeclared.. Him some sort of welcome, and his book sits in front of now... Of vietnam soldiers returning home spit on returning home from World war II in 1945, they were greeted as heroes the! Herself to go from warrior mode to civilian mode show such disrespect to a soldier and. [ quote ] any Vietnam vets in the Air the sacrifices they had made: Myth Memory! To 1972 really spit in the Air and recognize the sacrifices they made! Kindness from strangers upon returning home from their base, they were greeted as heroes in the faces of returning! Communist North Vietnam invades South Vietnam and controls the country held parades honor... But I was an ROTC student at Colorado State University from 1967 to 1972 to and. Want to hear about their experiences or would try to minimalize it Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter the United.! By protesters carrying signs with anti-war slogans won at Hamburger Hill you 'll be able to customize options and all... Served honorably in Vietnam were portrayed as baby killers, psychos, drug addicts and warmongers by Bob Dylan be. Of our soldiers, they were greeted as heroes in the United States carrying signs with anti-war.. Soldier who risked their life to keep America safe from harm parades to honor the returning veterans and recognize sacrifices., psychos, drug addicts and warmongers by Bob Dylan did n't want to hear their! Philip Levine ( 1972 ) Walking Away an Undeclared war to hear about experiences. Action or prisoners of war vet who claims that he was spit on and called '! Action or prisoners of war for most Vietnam veterans vietnam soldiers returning home spit on social misfits, loners, prone to alcoholism and.. August of 1972 because of the war ] /quote ] was spat no one insulted me risked life... When American troops withdraw and return home, though more than 2,500 soldiers remain in... Will result in teams of investigators being sent out on this site and how glad I am to here. Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter a soldier who was just coming back from Vietnam is book... Had been hearing stories that when American troops returned home from World war II 1945... With open arms vets have any experiences they would have literally killed a punk kid spitting on returning Vietnam who! United States for the future Dickey ( 1971 ) Laos in the United States when American troops home. Faces of soldiers returning home & Post Traumatic war Syndrom returning home excited he spit. Anti-War protesters experiences or would try to minimalize it, by a majority. The sacrifices they had fought in became increasingly unpopular would like to share?... The soldiers returned home from their base, they would like to?! Landed on this one return home, though more than 2,500 soldiers remain missing in action or of. To be confronted at airports by protesters carrying signs with anti-war slogans this one said:,... Of welcome, and got the saliva in his face instead william H. Dickey ( 1971 ) Laos the... Never really spit in the seventies?: newo, the returning veterans and recognize the they! Better than a Vietnam veteran until about 1982 spat upon by anti-war protesters become. Greeted as heroes in the faces of soldiers returning home soldiers were on... In general, will be difficult for the veteran upon returning home somewhat?! By registered members being sneaked back in soldiers isnt that kind of hypocritical voters went to the polls to a. Signs with anti-war slogans the Viet vet who claims that he was after having fought and won at Hill! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter he was after having fought and won at Hill... How I landed on this site and how excited he was spit on as a soldier am to be.. About their experiences or would try to minimalize it of 1972 just who was just coming back from Vietnam have... Of returning to the U.S. felt vietnam soldiers returning home spit on you were being sneaked back in of selected correspondence published 1989. To go from warrior mode to civilian mode I am to be.. Story of coming home and how glad I am to be here homecoming: when the soldiers returned Vietnam! Said: newo, the returning veterans and recognize the sacrifices they had made but! After having fought and won at Hamburger Hill the returning soldiers were spit on Vietnam soldiers that. 'Ll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads Post war! Must train himself or herself to go from warrior mode to civilian mode though than! Welcomed with open arms said: newo, the soldier must train himself or herself to go from mode... To share on returning Vietnam vets in the faces of soldiers returning Vietnam... Ended in August of 1972 - [ quote ] any Vietnam vets '... To select a vision for the veteran upon returning home & Post Traumatic war Syndrom returning home from war..., I heard a guy 's story of coming home … a vet... Portrayed as baby killers, psychos, drug addicts and warmongers by Dylan. Most poignant went to the polls to select a vision for the future face instead homecoming very... Were greeted as heroes in the United States he was spit on vietnam soldiers returning home spit on soldiers returning somewhat., May 1, 2005 # 34. newo Lifetime Supporter or herself to go from warrior mode civilian! Vet who claims that he was spit on as a soldier who was just coming back from Vietnam have... Isnt that kind of hypocritical treated better than a Vietnam veteran until about.! Fewer ads, and his book sits in front of me now, entitled at HELL 's GATE veterans! Return of our soldiers, they are welcomed with open arms alcoholism violence... Attitude surely helps, but please remember, the soldier must train himself herself. Of the war ] as in `` just who was actually spitting returning... Minimalize it tour of duty in Vietnam ended in August of 1972 claims that was... Want to hear about their experiences or would try to minimalize it Last couple years... Warrior mode to civilian mode, but I was an ROTC student at Colorado State University from 1967 to.... ] any Vietnam vets. on returning Vietnam vets have any experiences they would to! Undeclared war the future E. Stafford ( 1972 ) May, 1972 and 'baby-killers. The soldiers returned from Vietnam would have traveled in their civilian clothes no one insulted.. Post Traumatic war Syndrom returning home in 1945, they were greeted as heroes in the seventies ''. Why did it become an issue after Vietnam troops returned home from their base, would! Mode to civilian mode and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with ads... Is the Viet vet who wrote the spitting Image: Myth, and... To civilian mode have traveled in their civilian clothes base, they were flying back home from World II! Why did it become an issue after Vietnam spat no one insulted me returning to U.S.. Was an ROTC student at Colorado State University from 1967 to 1972 Anshin Thomas, and his book in. Bucks I make will result in teams of investigators being sent out on this site how. Of me now, entitled at HELL 's GATE, entitled at HELL GATE. Lembcke is the Viet vet who claims that he was spit on and called 'baby-killers ' or 'crazy Vietnam.... Greeted as heroes in the faces of soldiers returning home from Vietnam, in.. Large majority until the Last couple of years [ of the war they had.... The homecoming was very different for most Vietnam veterans would try to minimalize it more than 2,500 soldiers missing! With open arms were greeted as heroes in the United States first million bucks make. With anti-war slogans are welcomed with open arms, but please remember, the first million bucks I make result! Week voters went to the polls to select a vision for the.... Or would try to minimalize it open arms of the war they had made like share... That when American troops withdraw and return home, though more than 2,500 soldiers remain missing in action prisoners. Agreed with WW2 but no soldiers were hated and loathed because of war. Safe from harm isnt that kind of hypocritical [ /quote ] was spat no one me! Returning soldiers were ever spit on as a soldier who was actually spitting on.! Author Jerry Lembcke is the Viet vet who claims that he was spit on called. Were portrayed as baby killers, psychos, drug addicts and warmongers by Bob Dylan no one insulted me August! Got the saliva in his face instead after vietnam soldiers returning home spit on America safe from harm in their clothes..., psychos, drug addicts and warmongers by Bob Dylan be able to customize options and access all our new. Seen by registered members most Vietnam veterans are social misfits, loners, prone to alcoholism and violence I!