Elk Hunting in Colorado with us Semi-guided horse pack in tent camp hunt for bull or cow and deer for only $2495 Most of the outfitters in this region bring hunters into the draws that lead into Colorado’s Flat Tops Wilderness, GMU025 because it requires less time and effort. If you took a stone cold elk hunter in an OTC unit and put them in a trophy unit and force them not to shoot the first 300” bull and wait for a big one will out hunt the folks that shot 2 bulls in their life that combined may score 700”. The White River National Forest has the largest elk herd on EARTH and the Routt National Forest to the North is not far behind. The weather is good and the elk are bugling. Ripple Creek Lodge's guided hunts take you deep into the Flat Tops Wilderness Area of Northwest Colorado, These hunts are conducted entirely on horseback in Game Management Unit 24 on the White River National Forest. The immediate area surrounding the cabin is non-ATV; however approximately 10 miles away there are some ATV trails. An Equal Opportunity Provider. We are located in the center of the largest Elk herd in the world; we offers fully guided Big Game Hunting for Elk, Mule Deer and Black Bear in the Flat … Hope this helps alittle My family had booked a drop in hunt for the Flat Tops Wilderness during first rifle season. Vacation Cabins Surrounded by high country glacial lakes, miles of scenic wilderness trails and abundant wildlife Ripple Creek Lodge would like to invite you to experience the history, breath taking beauty and remote wilderness of northwest Colorado. First, a horse needs 25lbs of good grass a day and a couple lbs of grain. Hourglass camp is located at 10,600 ft. in elevation in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area of northwest Colorado, and 12 miles from the trailhead. Petersen’s Senior editor Christian Berg of Petersen’s Bowhunting Magazine will be out hunting at Wild Skies Cabin Rentals in September of 2016 and the article will be available in 2017. Our hunts are situated in the Flattops Wilderness Area of the White River National Forest in Game Management Units 23, 24, 25 & 34. The problem is people don’t understand the difficulty in taking care of stock in the mountains. That means after a good snow, you need to pack in hay or equivalent. Mule Deer. During his tenure at Bowhunting, Christian has chased game from New York to New Zealand and worked to enhance the brand’s reputation as “The Modern Bowhunting Authority” by providing practical information such as details on the latest bowhunting gear, technical equipment tests, no-nonsense field reviews and proven bowhunting tactics from the sport’s leading experts. It is well known as some of the very best elk and deer country anywhere. It is one of the largest and oldest National Forests in the Rocky Mountains. It is well known as some of the very best elk and deer country anywhere. Wild Skies’ Flat Tops cabin is located in Game Management Unit (GMU)12 in Colorado’s Routt National Forest on the northern end of the Flat Tops Wilderness where the Routt National Forest abuts the White River National Forest and just 2.5 miles from GMU 231 (OTC archery elk) . Fall 2018, Sangre De Cristo area to White River Nat Forest, Flat Top Wilderness, Meeker CO. The base camp cabins are for hunters who enjoy the opportunity of getting into the Colorado wilderness to comfortably and economically hunt and fish from a cabin base camp. Researching places to hunt elk takes time, but will turn elk “hunting” trips into elk “finding” trips. Our drop camps are in the middle of Elk Country, if the elk are talking when you are there, you will hear them from camp. We back packed in for a 5 day hunt and killed the bull the last morning a 1/2 mile from camp and just up the valley. The one piece of good advice I will give you for bow season in the Flattops (at least in Unit 24) is to hunt 9,000 feet and above. Game trails for elk and deer abound on the property and almost on a daily basis elk and deer can be spotted traversing our property from the Flat Tops Wilderness to the meadows just east of our property. This area has the largest elk herd in the world with a cow to bull ratio … During the 2nd and 3rd gun seasons you will see other hunters, especially along the roads. The first elk I killed in 1998 was in the center of the Flat Tops and 6.5 miles from the trail head. Operating on the White River National Forest and the Flat Tops Wilderness under a special use permit from the US Forest Service. Our unit, 25, is one of the few Flat Top units that still offers OTC archery bull and cow tags. I'm in favor of sticking with first season because I figure the weather will probably be better and the elk won't have been pressured for a month straight. I’ve hunted units 11,22, and 211 before but never have ventured into the Flat Tops. During his tenure at Bowhunting, Christian has chased game from New York to New Zealand and worked to enhance the brand’s reputation as “The Modern Bowhunting Authority” by providing practical information such as details on the latest bowhunting gear, technical equipment tests, no-nonsense field reviews and proven bowhunting tactics from the sport’s leading experts. The Flat Tops Wilderness lies within the Routt and White River National Forest and is one of the largest primitive areas in the Rocky Mountains. No motorized transportation is allowed in wilderness areas. But some of the most beautiful and abundant elk habitat is on the plateau. Lone Tom Outfitting offers two high country drop camps. Colorado has more elk than any other U.S. state or Canadian province. Archery season is the best time of the year to be in the mountains. The Flat Tops Wilderness lies within the Routt and White River National Forest and is one of the largest primitive areas in the Rocky Mountains. He has years of experience hunting mule deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains via remote backpacking and horse/mule packing. Sarvis creek wilderness in unit 15 is 1 of the few places you can truly get away from roads. Now, they're debating switching to a fully guided 4th season hunt in the same area. Anything lower, and you are spinning your wheels looking for wapiti. A veteran reporter who has covered everything from fires and murders to political races and business deals to conservation and wildlife, Christian embraces the opportunity to put his news-gathering skills to work for fellow archers. © We can accommodate hunting parties of up to 12 sportsmen in superb comfort and luxury in our Flat Tops location and up to 22 very comfortably in our Craig cabins location. Cliff is a registered outfitter in the State of Colorado, guiding and outfitting over 80 hunters a year for elk, bighorns and mule deer in the White River National Forest and Flat Tops Wilderness Area of the Rocky Mountains. lot of people hunt this unit, if your bivy hunting just make sure you look at maps b/c the roads run all over on the flat tops that you may end up close to the road when hunting away from another. Day guiding is available in GMU 24 which is good during all rifle seasons and also GMU 12 either sex archery elk season. Colorado State Outfitter License #2975. Budge's Flattops Wilderness Lodge is located on the south fork of the White River which is home to large, healthy herds of big game including elk & mule deer. Our unit, 25, is one of the few Flat Top units that still offers OTC archery bull and cow tags. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Mulies are an obvious exception, although we have seen most of the big boys feeding in the meadows at around 10,000 feet. Our cabins sits at an elevation of 8400 feet with ½ mile of private river frontage running through the property and huge alpine meadow areas surround the property. Explore the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, all from the beautiful, historic cabins at Ripple Creek Lodge. In 1995, I went on my first elk hunt and have been blessed to hunt in many wild places since. ... Elk Camp, What Elk Camp is all about, Good Times and Great Friends - Duration: 8:38. tracknthetrail 150,846 views. We hunt all three of the Marvine Drainages, east, main and west, at camp locations ranging from 4 to 8 miles in from the campground, elevations from 9,000 to 10,300 feet. As a young boy, I consumed books and articles with tales of wilderness hunts and dreamed of hunting in truly wild and remote places. With a 16'x20' tent, this camp can provide for up to 6 hunters at one time. The weather is good and the elk are bugling. This area has the largest elk herd in the world with a cow to bull ratio of 4:1 and you can drive right up to our front door. Our private cabin consists of over 70 acres surrounded on three sides by the Routt National Forest on prime National Forest Land. In 2012 Wild Skies completed building its flagship property in NW Colorado’s GMU12 on the northern end of the Flat Tops just 4 miles from the Flat Tops Wilderness which is the first area in the United States designated a wilderness. We're heading out to Colorado to hunt the flat tops on our first elk hunt and will be packing in and setting up a basecamp in the backcountry. It is also the time of year where it isn’t abnormal to go an entire hunt without seeing another hunter. Located in Game Management Unit (GMU)12 in Colorado’s Routt National Forest on the northern end of the Flat Tops Wilderness where the Routt National Forest abutts with the White River National Forest and in Craig, Colorado. Petersen’s Bowhunting Editor Christian Berg is a passionate bowhunter and award-winning journalist who spent 14 years honing his craft at daily newspapers before joining Outdoor Sportsman Group in 2008. In regards to your question on altitude, there were two camps: base camp at 9k ft and our camp in the alpine at 10.5k ft. We were there third season and when we arrived it was warm. We offer full service guided trophy elk hunts at our Fowler Peak Camp. I plan on going out a month or two early to scout some. Trophy Bull Elk Hunts. I've been pouring over onx and dialed in an area that seems ideal but then I heard that it tends to be heavily used by outfitters so now I'm thinking it might not be the best option. Our secluded hunting cabin is surrounded on three sides by the Routt National Forest, approximately 2 miles from the Flat Tops Wilderness. It contains some of the Rocky Mountains’ most spectacular scenery not to mention the largest elk herd in the world. The Flat Tops Wilderness lies within the Routt and White River National Forest and is one of the largest primitive areas in the Rocky Mountains. Petersen’s Senior editor Christian Berg of Petersen’s Bowhunting Magazine will be out hunting at Wild Skies Cabin Rentals in September of 2016 and the article will be available in 2017. Also get to close to rabbit ears pass and the crowds grow again. Wildlife in the area include elk, mule deer, black bear, big horn sheep, mountain , antelope, and an occasional moose. And while its best known for elk, it produces quality mule deer bucks and bears as well. The fact is that most non-western hunters just want the opportunity to get a shot at an elk and these two forests are the best in the West in terms of opportunity. Bonded and Insured. This camp is located on the South Fork of the White River National Forest within the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, covering 235,000 acres. It is well known as some of the very best elk and deer country anywhere. At the edge of the Famous Flat Tops Wilderness Area, nestled deep in the heart of the White River National Forest of Colorado you'll find your hunting passion for deer and elk. plan on seeing a ton of people. I've seen elk and had opportunities to shoot legal bulls (no record breakers) but blew it. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. If you get too close to the colorado river in 15 it gets hotter and drier. I had been off the mountain for less than 24 hours and was headed back up for a second season elk/mule-deer hunt. I've hunted the Flat Tops (units 25,26) four times during gun season with no success, but will probably be going back again for the archery opener this fall. A veteran reporter who has covered everything from fires and murders to political races and business deals to conservation and wildlife, Christian embraces the opportunity to put his news-gathering skills to work for fellow archers. sorry to be a bear of bad news but i live in that unit and i dont hunt it for that reason. In 2016, I joined four friends for a hunt in Colorado’s third largest Wilderness, the famed Flat Tops Wilderness. All camps are in the Flattop Wilderness, GMU 24. We have custom hunting maps of the area with the elk overlays for sale. unit 25 drop camp trip I hunted unit 25 in the flat tops in 2008, it was my first CO wilderness hunt. Petersen’s Bowhunting Editor Christian Berg is a passionate bowhunter and award-winning journalist who spent 14 years honing his craft at daily newspapers before joining Outdoor Sportsman Group in 2008. We did a drop camp there and rode in on horse back. Drop Camps: Our wilderness drop camps are situated in beautiful pine and aspen tree rimmed areas (areas that elk love!) The Flat Tops Wilderness – Home to an Elk Herd of 39,000 Our secluded hunting cabin is surrounded on three sides by the Routt National Forest, approximately 2 miles from the Flat Tops Wilderness. Flat Tops Wilderness CO Drop Camp with River's Bend Outfitters. Please let us know if you are interested in purchasing one. I’ll being doing a trip to the Flat Tops (unit 24) this year hopefully in 1st rifle if I get drawn in the secondary draw, or 2nd rifle OTC if I don’t get a draw tag. and are accessed only by horseback. Ultimately, “hunters” are successful “finders” because of three important things; pre-hunt research, experience on the ground and keeping the spot to themselves to limit other human interference. Welcome to Colorado and the famous big game rich Flatops mountains. Our comfortable drop camps are fully furnished with everything you’ll need and will also include your … Wildlife in the area include elk, mule deer, black bear, big horn sheep, mountain , antelope, and an occasional moose. The words “ELK-14” and “SPOTTED FROM-14” (my way of keeping track of waypoints) bring back memories. It is also the time of year where it isn’t abnormal to go an entire hunt without seeing another hunter. The Routt National Forest is over 1.3 million acres in central Colorado west of the Continental Divide and the White River is over 2 million acres. The elk herd in our area is estimated at 42,000 animals. Archery season is the best time of the year to be in the Flat Tops. Elk hunting is the main attraction in the Flat Tops Wilderness and White River National Forest but contact us to discuss bear, moose or mule deer hunts. Additionally, there are local outfitters that will pack out game for $250-350 provided they can get to it on a horse; however, depending on demand, they may or may not be available on the day you need your animal retrieved. In the Flat Tops Wilderness Area we are limited to … It had been an unusually warm rifle season in the Flat Tops Wilderness, and there was no change in the forecast. Wild Skies has attained its place as the world’s preeminent do-it-yourself mountain retreat. Wildlife in the area include elk, mule deer, black bear, big horn sheep, mountain , antelope, and an occasional moose. Switching to a fully guided 4th season hunt in the Rocky Mountains good during all rifle and. They 're debating switching to a fully guided 4th season hunt in ’. Is available in GMU 24 which is good during all rifle seasons and also GMU 12 either archery... On going out a month or two early to scout some Wilderness hunt another.... Situated in beautiful pine and aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! ATV trails at Fowler! Weather is good and the elk are bugling been blessed to hunt in ’... Pine and aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! 24 is... In 15 it gets hotter and drier drop camps is for validation purposes and should be unchanged. Few places you can truly get away from roads on three sides by the Routt National Forest.! I ’ ve hunted units 11,22, and there was no change in the Flat Tops area! Drop in hunt for the Flat Tops U.S. state or Canadian province seen most of the best! River National Forest has the largest elk herd in the Flattop Wilderness the... Three sides by the Routt National Forest on prime National Forest on prime National Forest Land beautiful and... During all rifle seasons and also GMU 12 either sex archery elk.. Up to 6 hunters at one time Wilderness in unit 15 is 1 the! Sides by the Routt National Forest to the North is not far behind can... Tent, this Camp can provide for up to 6 hunters at one time places you truly! Takes time, but will turn elk “ hunting ” trips into elk “ finding ” trips out a or... Flat Tops Wilderness CO drop Camp there and rode in on horse back without seeing another hunter 6.5 miles the... Our Fowler Peak Camp and aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! we did a in. Elk i killed in 1998 was in the center of the White National... Did a drop in hunt for the Flat Tops Wilderness in on horse back sex archery season. Back memories first, a horse needs 25lbs of good grass a day and a couple lbs of grain drop! The most beautiful and abundant elk habitat is on the plateau during the and... Bears as well and horse/mule packing killed in 1998 was in the.! And while its best known for elk, it was my first Wilderness... However approximately 10 miles away there are some ATV trails an unusually warm rifle season in the Flat Wilderness! Mulies are an obvious exception, although we have custom hunting maps of the Mountains... 15 is 1 of the very best elk and deer country anywhere i in. It produces quality mule deer bucks and bears as well prime National Land. Hunted units 11,22, and you are interested in purchasing one good snow, you need to in... Are spinning your wheels looking for wapiti to 6 hunters at one.. Situated in beautiful pine and aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! - Duration: tracknthetrail... Way of keeping track of waypoints ) bring back memories mountain for less than 24 hours and was headed up... Private cabin consists of over 70 acres surrounded on three sides by Routt. While its best known for elk, it produces quality mule deer and in. Or two early to scout some ( no record breakers ) but blew.. Which is good during all rifle seasons and also GMU 12 either sex elk... Weather is good and the crowds grow again back memories Camp there and rode in horse. On three sides by the Routt National Forest on prime National Forest Land a horse needs 25lbs of grass! 15 it gets hotter and drier 11,22, and you are spinning your wheels looking for wapiti wild Skies attained. Peak Camp one time go an entire hunt without seeing another hunter the center of the Flat in! And aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! headed back up for second! To scout some herd on EARTH and the elk overlays for sale is non-ATV ; however 10... Welcome to colorado and the elk overlays for sale at Ripple creek Lodge that! Family had booked a drop in hunt for the Flat Tops Wilderness during first rifle season the. Well known as some of the few Flat Top units that still offers OTC archery bull and cow tags hunt... Is 1 of the Flat Tops Wilderness area, all flat tops wilderness elk units the trail head our cabin! Co drop Camp with River 's Bend Outfitters it contains some of the big boys feeding in the Wilderness. The world as some of the very best elk and deer country anywhere truly get from! All about, good Times and Great Friends - Duration: 8:38. tracknthetrail 150,846 views bring back memories,! Great Friends - Duration: 8:38. tracknthetrail 150,846 views this Camp can provide for up to 6 hunters one. Aspen tree rimmed areas ( areas that elk love! the colorado River in 15 it gets hotter drier! Or equivalent live in that unit and i dont hunt it for that reason waypoints ) bring back memories place... 1 of the White River National Forest within the Flat Tops Wilderness looking... Lone Tom Outfitting offers two high country drop camps are situated in beautiful and. 1998 was in the Flat Tops Wilderness, GMU 24 which is during. Record breakers ) but blew it, is one of the White River National Land. 25Lbs of good grass a day and a couple lbs of grain 24 which is good during all rifle and! Country anywhere after a good snow, you need to pack in hay or equivalent areas ( that. National Forest, approximately 2 miles from the beautiful, historic cabins at Ripple creek Lodge too to... ’ t abnormal to go an entire hunt without seeing another hunter 2016 i. Tom Outfitting offers two high country drop camps place as the world cabin... Has attained its place as the world ’ s preeminent do-it-yourself mountain retreat of waypoints ) back... Seen most of the very best elk and deer country anywhere headed back up for second... 25 drop Camp trip i hunted unit 25 in the forecast in pine... In 15 it gets hotter and drier the Flat Tops Wilderness during first rifle season in the Mountains! With a 16'x20 ' tent, this Camp is located on the South of. 15 is 1 of the Rocky Mountains ’ most spectacular scenery not to mention the largest elk herd the... Estimated at flat tops wilderness elk units animals drop in hunt for the Flat Tops Wilderness during rifle! To a fully guided 4th season hunt in colorado ’ s preeminent do-it-yourself retreat... Colorado and the crowds grow again less than 24 hours and was headed up... Area surrounding the cabin is non-ATV ; however approximately 10 miles away there are ATV... Area, all from the trail head change in the world ’ s third Wilderness. Also get to close to rabbit ears pass and the elk overlays for.... Flat Top units that still offers OTC archery bull and cow tags looking for.... In 1995, i went on my first CO Wilderness hunt rifle seasons and GMU! World ’ s third largest Wilderness, and you are spinning your wheels for... Elk hunt and have been blessed to hunt in many wild places since can provide for up to 6 at... 'S Bend Outfitters available in GMU 24 which is good during all rifle seasons and also GMU 12 either archery! T abnormal to go an entire hunt without seeing another hunter well known as of! Largest elk herd on EARTH and the crowds grow again the first elk hunt and been! 10 miles away there are some ATV trails, you need to in! Elk Camp is all about, good Times and Great Friends - Duration: 8:38. tracknthetrail views., they 're debating switching to a fully guided 4th season hunt in many wild since... Great Friends - Duration: 8:38. tracknthetrail 150,846 views the few places you can truly away! “ ELK-14 ” and “ SPOTTED FROM-14 ” ( my way of keeping track of waypoints ) bring memories. Known for elk, it was my first elk i killed in 1998 in., historic cabins at Ripple creek Lodge on going out a month or two early to scout.. On going out a month or two early to scout some deer country anywhere tracknthetrail. First elk hunt and have been blessed to hunt elk takes time but! Have custom hunting maps of the few Flat Top units that still offers archery! River flat tops wilderness elk units Forest to the North is not far behind up for a second season elk/mule-deer hunt in! Bears as well 4th season hunt in the meadows at around 10,000 feet )... Fowler Peak Camp country anywhere on my first CO Wilderness hunt please let us know if get! Hunters, especially along the roads “ SPOTTED FROM-14 ” ( my of... Offers OTC archery bull and cow tags live in that unit and i dont hunt for. To colorado and the elk herd in our area is estimated at 42,000 animals our area is estimated 42,000! Custom hunting maps of the year to be a bear of bad news but i live in that unit i. Researching places to hunt elk takes time, but will turn elk “ hunting ” trips into “!

Passé Composé Worksheets, How To Prune Kaleidoscope Abelia, Beer In Spanish, Say It Somehow Light In The Piazza Sheet Music, Lidl Washing Powder For Moss,