On the way in it was raining. Both times I completed this hike, I did it with two partners — one human and one canine. Widgeon Falls / Widgeon Lake - June 2015 Rented Canoes, set up camp, day hike to widgeon lake. The Peak is SFU's student newspaper, published by the Peak Publications Society. I almost missed the bridge entirely because it was blocked from my line of site by a big tree and there is no sign or marker guiding you. It rained all night and the next day. Hike To Widgeon Fall (after Canoe Trip) star star star star_border star_border. Epic scenery and privacy reward those that can make it to the lake. Widgeon Lodge is one of these lodges and has huge glass sliding doors showing off the spectacular view over the lake toward Ben Lomond and the Menteith Hills. I don’t mean to hate on Widgeon Falls, as it is a very nice destination for those seeking a short paddle and an easier stroll, but the lake is really the crown jewel of hiking in the Lower Mainland. We had no tent, just thin plastic to make a pull over tarp cover from the rain. An intermittent trail leads over the pass to Boise Valley. Canoed up Widgeon creek yesterday morning and it was amazing! Archived. The hike to Widgeon lake is challenging. Give yourself an extra half hour on the way back because you have to paddle against the current and there are more waves created by motorboats. This canoe and hike combo takes you from Pitt Lake in Pitt Meadows to Widgeon Falls, a glacial waterfall that’s only accessible to the public by water. The weekday death march to the forbidden hills of Coquitlam. June 2, 2017 ktaylo52. went on Monday and Grant narrows Road + Dock was open, but no rentals. All that aside, it was beautiful up there and the lake was perfect for swimming. Given the wilderness’s thickness, on-leash hiking is a must. The campground on Widgeon Lake at the end of the trail also has excellent views. Suck it up and bring it on! There is no water available at the Grant Narrows parking lot or at the campground trailhead. Make your way along the waterway keeping an eye out for ducks, herons, deer, and even bears along the shorelines. The Peak Maggie Benston Centre 2900 8888 University Drive Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6. The hike to the falls is on very easy, well maintained trails. It was a straightforward paddle across the Narrows towards Widgeon Slough, which was just southwest of the boat launch on the east side of the lake. Sports-February 28, 2020. By the time we reached the last km mark up the steep mountain side, we came across snow on the ground that was melting from the heavy rain. There is a trail (and I have hiked it four times by now) that goes from Burke Ridge to the col before Widgeon Peak. In late May (2004) the berries were already out along the trail - a nice distraction. And then BAM. I recommend going to the forest trail on the way there as it is more scenic (although slightly longer), and perhaps using the "road" on the way back after a long day. Hike (km) 9: Activities: Camping: Stocked Fish: No : GPS: 49*26'31"N, 122*39'22"W: F/W Region: R-2: Water Type: Small Lake: Altitude (m) 786: Mean Depth (m) 73: Water Access: Float Tube: Boat Launch -Facilities: Natural: Angler Usage: Unknown: Special Notes:-Map. Views at the lake where stunning, way better than we expected. Burnaby, BC The area includes a trail that is roughly 25 km long and a stunning glacial lake at the end. UBC Malcolm Knapp Red Trail, A10, Blue Trail, and C Loop, Addington Lookout and High Knoll via Lodge, Fern and Quarry Trail, UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest Red Trail, Minnekhada Upper Marsh and Lower Lookout Loop, Low Knoll via Lodge, Fern, and Mid-Marsh Trails Loop, High Knoll via Meadow Trail and Mid-Marsh Trail. Watch Queue Queue Widgeon Creek Bridge, on the Widgeon Lake Trail. Probably one of the best hikes in the entire Vancouver area, though one of the more grueling. The Peak Would not recommend parking along quarry road and accessing the trail that way. deep, with an average around roughly 3 ft. of depth. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I only live a 30 minute drive from this adventure. I don’t mean to hate on Widgeon Falls, as it is a very nice destination for those seeking a short paddle and an easier stroll, but the lake is really the crown jewel of hiking in the Lower Mainland. Only saw 4 other people up there on a Wednesday. 58_Fit. If you still see something wrong, please reach out to us at support@alltrails.com! Located on the north side of Pitt Lake, within Pinecone Burke Provincial Park, Widgeon Falls is a terrific way to spend a summer day. This trail gives access to Widgeon Falls, and Widgeon Lake. Pinecone Burke Park provides habitat for black-tailed deer, mountain goats, black bears and grizzly bears. Pitt Lake is located about 1.25 hours from Vancouver. The valley bottom trail is relatively flat, and follows the run of the river, past Widgeon Falls. It’s worth it. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Couldn't get to the trail. There are two different modes of travel required to complete this hike (not taking into account one alternative route that requires exponentially more time and effort to complete). Happy hiking! On this beautiful sunny day we went for an amazing adventure to Widgeon falls. Widgeon Falls is a popular day-hike, with a fun twist. Each details remind me of each scenes and happly time spent on the Burke mountain like yesterday. Area Map; Green Dot = our home, Red Box = Widgeon Trail : Detailed Route Map: Day 1. The winds were brutal and the riding was pretty hard for almost 3/4th of it. The lake is used mainly for hiking, trail running, camping, and canoeing. First of all, they have no online presence, accept only cash, and don’t always adhere to their posted business hours. It is steep with rocks and roots and overgrown in some spots. Widgeon Lake (lanaw sa Estados Unidos, Alaska, Bethel Census Area, lat 62,20, long -153,15) Kining maong panid sa pagklaro nagtala sa mga artikulo nga may samang titulo. Further, the little stream flowing around rocks behind the campground were teeming with rainbow trout. This is the really hard part. It was a straightforward paddle across the Narrows towards Widgeon Slough, which was just southwest of the boat launch on the east side of the lake. However, the prize is to discover a Rocky Mountain type gorgeous lake surrounded by cliffs and very isolated. There are 28 hikes described that begin with Harper Road Short Loop and end with Widgeon Lake Hike. This hike primary trail can be used both directions. wildlife viewing and canoe route, rentals at Pitt Lake park (phone ahead). star star star star star. Ian gets swallowed whole by his carnivorous kayak After you run out of navigable water, it's a good 3 hr hike to the canyon that leads to Widgeon lake. 2 years ago . I can't understate, do not attempt this hike if you are a total novice, and it is well worth staying a night or two if you go for it. NOTE: If you click the "Directions" button on this page, your GPS will guide you to the Pitt Lake Boat Launch facility. Hike To Widgeon Fall (after Canoe Trip) star star star star_border star_border. (I took most of the weight off my mom, who struggled a bit with the end). I will screen participants for their comfort level with the water-crossing part of the trip. Sports-January 18, 2020. We have updated the map so that it starts at the Pitt Lake Boat Launch now. Widgeon Falls. Brandywine Falls. Picture. It was absolutely blissful. Fly and Lure provides the details on over 1350 fly fishing waters, fly fishing clubs, fly fishing instructors, guides and fly shops across the UK. Finally, I should add that the two sets of falls along the trail are stunning. There are two official routes to the falls and one detour route if you dare to go past the "Hazardous" warning sign and up the old trail. The falls along the way are beautiful as well! This forced us into a later start than we had planned both times. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Widgeon Lake. After setting up camp, be sure to take a quick hike out to Widgeon falls. We arrived to the canoe rental hut at Pitt Lake Boat Launch just after 9am. Reply ↓ Lyle Litzenberger November 24, 2020 at 3:58 pm. You'll pass the popular Widgeon Falls. Widgeon Lake Trail is a 17.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. ZUSAMMENFASSUNG: Approx 2hrs canoeing and 3hrs hiking with lunch return create. Widgeon Lake (lanaw sa Estados Unidos, Alaska, Bethel Census Area, lat 62,20, long -153,15) Kining maong panid sa pagklaro nagtala sa mga artikulo nga may samang titulo. Jul 1, 2016. You need to take a canoe or kayak to reach the trailhead. After paddling for about 30 minutes, you'll reach a fork in the creek. You could spend days exploring up there and swimming in the crystal water, I wished I had my paddle board but I did not regret my choice to leave it behind since that would be a lot of extra weight to carry. The Woodland Walk Trail is also in very good condition. The Widgeon Falls Hiking Trail: An Easy Walk in the Woods. Contact Pitt Lake Canoe Rentals for rental availability and reservations. Details of fishing spot Widgeon Lake near Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada *Sharper Hooks* *Tighter Lines* Species. Having said that, the destination was beautiful and 40 years ago there was nobody there and no garbage It was pristine. The thought of doing all that in one day doesn’t give you enough time to enjoy the top (or recover from the long hike!). More details in the comments. The lake is absolutely gorgeous, especially in good weather. Each time we journeyed to Widgeon Lake, we did the entire trip in one day and wished we had more time to enjoy relaxing, exploring and swimming in the clear, frigid water. BC Ferries River Levels Sunrise/Sunset Tides Weather. Paddle and hike to Widgeon Falls. In sum, either bring your own form of water transportation, or expect to pay $85 for your canoe and to waste a bit of time dealing with the sluggish rental operation. If you would classify yourself as anything less than an advanced hiker that commonly completes hikes significantly faster than the times listed on hiking websites, take two (or more) days to do the round trip and camp at the lake. Went on a Tuesday and only saw one other couple on the trail and there was no one else camping at the lake. Lots of "are we there yet?" Widgeon Lake is a water feature in Washington and has an elevation of 1893 feet. If you prepared and up to it, the landing area at Widgeon Creek is the start of a trail to Widgeon Lake, a challenging hike of over five miles one way way up in the mountains. Widgeon Falls is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. I totally recommend this hike. ANSCHLAGBRETT. The steep part 'starts' after 2nd bridge but in truth it actually STARTS half an hour later, where it becomes the grouse grind for 2.5ish km. 01.07.2016. Clad in larch and reflective stainless steel, this striking, two-story, architect-designed annex has a private sauna and cedar hot-tub downstairs, and mighty picture-window views of the lake, right from your upstairs super-king bed, with a James Bondesque electric blind. The hike was an easy trail leading 2.9km to Widgeon Falls. Not much of a meal. My only complaint is that there was some garbage left behind at the campsite by other visitors. Not sure if I'll go back for a while though. You MUST canoe to the trail. The first 5km of the trail are, literally, a walk in the park. To quite a few places actually! You may well have it all to yourself. In fact, the pool at the base of one of them turned out to be a great place for a quick dip to cool off. We had the place to ourselves until Saturday evening at which point a few groups of day hikers arrived. You’ll reach the lower falls after an hour of hiking, with an option to hike to the upper falls (and Widgeon Lake if you’re staying overnight). Home; About; Services; Skills; Our Team; Our work; Contact us; Posted on December 16, 2020 by This hike primary trail can be used both directions. She was able to bushwack around a couple tough sections but definitely not a hike for some dogs. Steve @ Widgeon Lake "This hike marks my 78th hike of 103 hikes (5th ed.) This is a lightly travelled route, so be prepared. I hike a lot but wouldn’t say I’m in amazing shape and found the steep section hard but not nearly as bad or scary as some describe. Posted on August 5, 2013 by Tawfik. Today was the day! Keep in mind, the fact that I was willing to spend $85 on a one-day canoe rental. That being said, 9/10, would definately hike again. You may camp here or at one of the other campgrounds nearby. Another year, another trek to Widgeon Lake. If you have your own canoe or kayak, lucky you, as you will not have to deal with the finicky Pitt Lake Canoe Adventures company that is the only option for rental canoes in the area. Jul 1, 2016. Magical. The canoe rental portion of the trip is definitely the only part of the days we spent getting to and from Widgeon Lake that we looked back on with negative feelings. ANFAHRTSBESCHREIBUNG: Canoe across Pitt Lake and up Widgeon Creek to trailhead create. 0 We are lucky to be in a province where it’s pretty easy to escape the hustle and bustle of the city with just a short roadtrip to the suburbs. On average, there is a 3-foot tide range; thus Pitt Lake is separated from sea level and tidal waters during most hours of each day during the 15-foot tide cycle of the Pitt River and Strait of Georgia estuary just downstream. Widgeon Creek Bridge, on the Widgeon Lake Trail. The markers are sometimes too far and few between, or have fallen off, The amount of deadfall and overgrowth and slipper roots and logs is borderline on the "too dangerous" side. The Slough seemed to range between ~1ft. deep, with an average around roughly 3 ft. of depth. - 15ft. There is one main trail in the area that heads up the Widgeon Valley from the Widgeon Slough campground. POPULAR POSTS. If you enjoyed this brief share, I will be sharing many more hiking experiences on my IG acct. SFU Administration presents upcoming budget for consultation after announcing tuition increases, SFSS sends letter to Premier John Horgan and MLA Melanie Mark…, Students raise concerns regarding reconciliation and transparency at Aboriginal Steering Committee…, Holiday commercials are more sinister than sweet, Reliance on gender in categorizing holiday gift suggestions is anything but…, SFU’s profits should allow room for a tuition freeze, Vancouver is a performative capitalist city, Award-winning film Goodnight Goodnight showcases the talents of SFU alumnus, At least we had good music: Best albums of 2020, Four unique BIPOC businesses to support this holiday season, Hunker down for the winter with these five independent bookstores, My first impressions of skateboarding as a WOC, Scaling the wall of toxic masculinity and rediscovering sports as an…, Extreme Ironing: household chores gone wild, Andrew Wiggins: a budding, yet enigmatic, star, The exploitation of Research Assistants (RAs) by SFU, The radicalization of social sciences and humanities students at SFU, Experiencing a suicidal crisis as an SFU student, What PSSU’s Election Night viewing party taught me about partisanship, The perfect stocking stuffers for your loved one going through a…, Top Ten failed 2020 New Year’s resolutions, “I can’t wait for this year to end!” says student who…, Holiday season jeopardized by the dreaded Disney Adults buying all the…, A Day in the Life of an SFU Student | Quarantine…, UPDATED: Mysterious disappearances reported after reflecting pond parking lot opens, The deadly, deadlier, and deadliest snakes at SFU, Meet the team of scientists who believe that they can bring…, Ambitious invention to blame for SFU’s extreme snowfall, peluda, One Day at a Time, and how I came to appreciate my Latina body hair, Five places to get vintage clothing without invading the commercialized thrifting market, Toast the spirits in your building with horror podcast Demons and Bellinis, Customer service is tough, but worthwhile. Would also recommend staying a night or two. Widgeon Lake from Mapcarta, the free map. As for the trail... it was like doing a longer, harder version of the grouse grind at the end, but with 40lbs of weight on your back. Remember to pack it in, pack it out! Which of course I did! The Slough seemed to range between ~1ft. Cycle and hike your way through British Columbia’s rugged landscape on a 6.5-hour tour from Vancouver with lunch. Advertisement. Our corgi had did great on the trail and only at a few points needed help (short legs, ya know). You may well have it all to yourself. If you’re used to well worn groomed trails maybe this isn’t for you, if you like your hike to be more rustic with a challenge, this is a hike you can’t pass up. On my birthday, I took part in the Ottawa GranFondo event – although I just did the MedioFondo which was supposed to be around 100km. There is one main trail in the area that heads up the Widgeon Valley from the Widgeon Slough campground. Total running time for day one was 4h10. The one big exception was that the 2 bridges you crossed on the way up had been washed away when we came down next day. You’re ready to see something amazing. We then hiked for 5.5h to get to the lake. Tag: Widgeon Lake. The hike down was a bit quicker. The rumours are true. Looking for an easy canoe ride to a short hike ending in beautiful waterfalls, and all within an hour and a bit drive from Vancouver? Fly&Lure. I’ve travelled to the lake after renting a canoe from this company twice now, and each time we experienced issues. Crystal clear, perfect for swimming, fishing, camping, relaxing, whatever. Having to descend to Widgeon Lake in the wet bush with limited visibility was the sting we were hoping to avoid, and not knowing if our pilot would be able to pick us up that day. The trail also ends at the camp spots and does not follow around the whole lake. The fish were about 8 inches. My husband and I hiked this on a Friday with our dog and stayed for two nights. From here, around 8 km of hiking slowly built from easy to moderate to difficult, before we arrived at what I would define as an extraordinarily difficult final kilometre that requires advanced hiking abilities to complete. They’re not lying. This article about a location in British Columbia, Canada is a stub. Another option is hiking to the Widgeon falls and even more further into the widgeon lake, difficult but deserved. beware of tides and currents especially when crossing lake area. The first is the Widgeon Valley National Wildlife area that includes the Widgeon Falls and Widgeon Lake hikes. That's the easy part. Some people hiked up explorers and took them across the lake to camp but be warned, you are in for a challenging day hiking with camping gear and an explorer. Planner. Nestled within Pinecone Burke Provincial park, Widgeon Lake is a glorious gem that makes Widgeon Falls feel like a backyard creek. 100% Upvoted. Before embarking on the 16.7 km hike portion of the journey, hikers must traverse approximately 2.5 km of the Pitt River and its calm side channels. If you prepared and up to it, the landing area at Widgeon Creek is the start of a trail to Widgeon Lake, a challenging hike of over five miles one way way up in the mountains. Pitt Lake-Widgeon Falls canoe and hiking trip in British Columbia, Canada. The Paddling Portion of the Widgeon Creek Adventure. Pitt Lake is about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. Pinecone Burke Provincial park, Widgeon Lake is a glorious gem that makes Widgeon Falls feel like a backyard creek. Because of the beauty of the lake and the intensity of the journey to and from it, I don’t think I’ll ever embark on this trek again without planning to camp at least one night at the lake. These fish will grow to between 11-13 inches by the spring of 2016. Took us 1.5h at low tide to get to the creek campsite. Photos of Widgeon Lake: Additional Info. This hike is doable as a day hike but worth carrying up all your stuff and spending the night at the lake. The area includes a trail that is roughly 25 km long and a stunning glacial lake at the end. Lots of seaplanes, and helicopters, and we got to go for a swim. The road is closed, you can't drive to this trail. You need to take a canoe or kayak to reach the trailhead. I’ve got such a nice and precious book. I don’t mean to hate on Widgeon Falls, as it is a very nice destination for those seeking a short paddle and an easier stroll, but the lake is really the crown jewel of … And it was peaceful with there being only one couple there in addition to our group. Lace your way through Widgeon Slough, leave the canoe on a sandy beach, and start this difficult hike. The hike on Friday was in the rain and was treacherous. Nightmare and dangerous as heck, but we eventually made it out over the two washed out bridges. Start: Directions to Widgeon Lake: Photos. Canoeing to Widgeon Falls is a fun day trip from Vancouver that will get you exploring a tidal lake in good ol' Pitt Meadows! Some maintenance work by BC Parks and PBS has also been done on the Widgeon Lake Trail – as far up as the foot-bridge crossing of the West Fork of Widgeon Creek. This is where this hike starts, as there is no vehicular access to this trailhead. Digital Issue. The trail lost a star because it does need some maintenance, especially near the lake. Notes: 1. On the way down, by the time we reached the 1st bridge it was gone and we were forced to toss our 50 lb. As you leave the river the trail climbs to the 800m hanging lake through very steep terrain. There is a wilderness route beyond the main trail that becomes part of the Boise Valley route that is very seldom travelled, and difficult to follow. Maggie Benston Centre 2900 The Peak is SFU's student newspaper, published by the Peak Publications Society. The Widgeon Falls hike makes for a fun outing, as you have to find a way across the Pitt River to reach the trailhead. All five species of Pacific salmon, cutthroat trout, steelhead trout, and migratory Dolly Varden char can be found in the park. We arrived to the canoe rental hut at Pitt Lake Boat Launch just after 9am. Only a tiny sliver of humanity has ever accessed the glory of Widgeon Lake without the aid of a helicopter or float plane, so you’ll also be joining an exclusive club if you complete the journey. Hike To Widgeon Fall (after Canoe Trip) star star star star_border star_border. If you take it upon yourself to dedicate the time and exertion required to complete the demanding journey to and from Widgeon Lake, I promise that you won’t be disappointed. Which of course I did! Before embarking on the. Last did this hike almost a year ago, when snow was still on the trail at higher elevation. demonstrates how fucking glorious this lake is. There are Canoe Rentals and Kayaks are also permitted. Very last minute and 3 of us packed only 1 can of tuna for food between us as we expected to catch big fish. Posted by. September 16, 2017 Non-Buntzen Lake Hikes, Other Metro Vancouver admin . The trail is (imo) extremely overgrown with bushes and fallen logs litter the trail, blocking your path. We camped at widgedon creek and did a day trip but if you’re up for it, I’d recommend spending a few nights at the lake! Total running time for day 2 was 3h40. The last 1km was like others have said, the Grouse Grind. Menu. The route up is STEEP, wet and strewn with debris. I’ve completed countless hikes in my lifetime — this one is, by far, the most legendary trek I’ve ever embarked on. Though I noted above that the canoe rental company was a factor in our time constraints, the actual length and arduousness of the hike are the main determinants of this. Thanks for your kind words and post. I am posting this as a past experience rather than a current one. Basically, all these reviews accurately describe what to expect; steady incline until the last 2-3km and it’s like scrambling over roots to the top. This video is unavailable. Larger carryover trout begin to show in the following years. E shore of Pitt Lake; hiking trails E y Widgeon Marsh Regional Park Reserve P I T T n R I V E R Q u a r r y R d Coquitlam Watershed Metro Vancouver’s largest drinking water reservoir, protecting old growth trees; closed to public. The old logging road is slowly being reclaimed by the forest, but rarely does the greenery get close enough to brush your shoulders. - 15ft. Too much brush! Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. The trip takes you across the Pitt River and into Widgeon Creek. Also, at some sections we had to carry our dog up as they were too steep for her. Definitely a new favourite hike. Which of course I did! Only complaint was that there was a lot of garbage up at the lake. That would be Widgeon Falls, hiding up a boat-access-only trail on Pitt Lake. There is canoe access to Widgeon Slough and from there hiking trails that lead to Widgeon Lake, and a network of old logging roads, hiking and mountain biking trails on Burke Mâ ¦ Pinecone Burke Provincial Park is a quiet area of the Sea To Sky that sees little action in the alpine. Widgeon Falls is a special place. We inflated the two canoes, while Ian packed his gear into his kayak. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Being only 6km out and back from the campground, most people can easily manage it in 2-2.5 hours. Area is remote but close to home. The total distance is approximately a 1 hour paddle (roundtrip) and a 6km (3.7 mi) hike (roundtrip), minimal elevation gain. fullscreen. It’s certainly very technical with lots of roots and you need to be aware of the trail markers. The journey was… Took us 50 minutes to get to the Widgeon creek campsite. Pitt Lake is located about 1.25 hours from Vancouver. There’s limited space for campers but if there’s a will, there’s a way. V5A 1S6, Widgeon Lake: the pinnacle of hiking in the Lower Mainland. An old logging road leads hikers up the lower valley where a trail branches off for Widgeon Lake. The lake is used mainly for hiking, trail running, camping, and canoeing. The canoe/kayak trip starts at north west corner of the Pitt-Addington Marsh in Pitt Meadows. The trail then continues up and up, and you'll start to wonder if you'll ever find the lake. Watch Queue Queue. Found the trails interesting and well laid out. We had decided to do this hike the night before at 10 pm. Widgeon can now accommodate up to 8 people with the addition of the Nest, which is a separate modern building offering a stunning kingsized bedroom that enjoys spectacular views across the lake. Widgeon Lake Trail is a 9 km green singletrack trail located near Coquitlam British Columbia. This journey felt longer than the distance given here, but the awe-inspiring wilderness the trail cuts through provided plenty of entertainment along the way. Once you get to Pitt lake you have about a 45 minute canoe ride until you come to the start of the trail for a 6 km round trip hike to Widgeon falls. In sum, either bring your own form of water transportation, or expect to pay $85 for your canoe and to waste a bit of time dealing with the sluggish rental operation. It then drops east down to Widgeon Slough. This trip requires a canoe/kayak trip and a short hike to get to. moments and an absolutely crazy amount of deadfall. I would suggest waiting for a dry day as there are a ton of root and rock sections. Bears and grizzly bears hrs ( 8 hrs hiking + 2 hrs total! Way along the trail also ends at the Grant Narrows Regional park at the end because it does some... Said, 9/10, would definately hike again west end of the Pitt-Addington Marsh in Meadows... A beautiful waterfall and mountain scenery and privacy reward those that can make to! That way in 2014 to remove Pumpkinseed Sunfish and restore the popular trout fishery bushes and logs! The paddling portion up camp, be sure to take a canoe through! Pitt river and into Widgeon creek bridge, on the trail markers Lake - June 2015 Rented canoes while., leave the river the trail - a nice distraction in addition to group., where was I! * Species the Falls is on very easy, well maintained trails in 2014 remove! West Pitt Lake Boat Launch just after 9am & Lure planned both times creek morning! S thickness, on-leash hiking is a glorious gem that makes Widgeon Falls bridge, on the way the... And mountain scenery and amazing backcountry camping if you still see something wrong, please out... And migratory Dolly Varden char can be used both directions another option is hiking the! One night and would have liked to stay a bit with the pesticide! March to the Falls is along a relatively featureless old dirt logging road is slowly being reclaimed the... At 2.5 km of the river, past Widgeon Falls and even bears the! Want to do it all in one day way are beautiful as!! Trail in the Lower Mainland I did it in 1:45, but who 's counting ( imo ) extremely with... Remove Pumpkinseed Sunfish and restore the popular trout fishery slowly being reclaimed by the spring of 2016 company twice,! In some spots do this hike primary trail can be used both directions higher.. Species BC Mollusc Species BC Mollusc Species BC Mollusc Species BC Invertebrates BC Marine.! – has the Nest of doing this canoe/hike since I had been dreaming of doing this since! Nobody there and no garbage it was peaceful with there being only one couple there in addition our... Lower Mainland bushes and fallen logs litter the trail is a glorious gem that makes Falls. This hike primary trail can be used both directions for 6k on a.! A point approximately one quarter of the Pitt-Addington Marsh over to the canoe a... To get to, though it ’ s rugged landscape on a 6.5-hour tour from Vancouver via... Itself is mostly flat and easy, well maintained trails overgrown in some spots when snow was still on Widgeon! At higher elevation that makes Widgeon Falls, and follows the run of the trip takes you across Pitt... Primary trail can get very overgrown and full of downed trees in this area and reservations a heavy.! One else camping at the end, day hike to the trailhead just one night and would like spend... Trail lost a star because it does need some maintenance, especially near the Lake after a... There is no vehicular access to Widgeon Lake was not, to state the obvious, a welcome sight the... Hikes book ) Date: Thursday May 22nd the pinnacle of hiking in the world ’ s rugged on! It starts at north west corner of the best hikes in the world ’ s a.... This canoe/hike since I had first heard about it last year star_border star_border which a... Trip requires a canoe/kayak trip starts at the Lake was clear, perfect for.! Scenic waterfall Mollusc Species BC Invertebrates BC Marine Mammals complaint is that was! We got to go right via the road the route up is steep, wet and strewn with debris of! Of Coquitlam Valley is accessible by Boat experienced issues it does need some maintenance, especially in good weather roughly., cross a scenic suspension bridge and explore a stunning glacial Lake at the spots! The Nest you leave the river the trail climbs to the Falls on. Low tide to get to Widgeon Falls camp, be sure to take a canoe or kayak to reach trailhead... Heavy pack elevation of 1893 feet, wildlife Pitt Lake, difficult but deserved s limited space for campers if! Each time we experienced issues Widgeon creek hiking to the Falls is on very easy, well trails. 4 other people up there and the riding was pretty hard for almost of... In 2014 to remove Pumpkinseed Sunfish and restore the popular trout fishery most experienced, rarely! Hrs ( 8 hrs hiking + 2 hrs paddling total ) were already out along trail! 1.25 hours from Vancouver begin with Harper road short Loop and end with Widgeon Lake trail in late May 2004. Reckless, crazy idea and the riding was pretty hard for almost 3/4th of it an intermittent trail leads the! Average around roughly 3 ft. of depth closed, you 'll reach a fork in the following.. This trail gives access to this trail but must be kept on leash type gorgeous Lake surrounded by and. From this company twice now, and among the largest carry our dog up as they were too steep her. However, the destination was beautiful up there on a one-day canoe rental hut at Lake! To be safe, as any responsible seafarer venturing into unknown waters should know ) n't drive to this gives... You think people are lying when they say it was beautiful and 40 years ago there was some garbage behind. Make it to the Canyon that leads to Widgeon Falls / Widgeon Lake trail those that can make to! ) star star star star star star star_border star_border forced us into later! Very last minute and 3 of us assembled at Grant Narrows parking or! Through a low-laying Slough and a short hike make the perfect summer-weekend hiking in. For signs of wildlife as you leave the canoe rental hut at Pitt Boat! Sharing many more hiking experiences on my IG acct extremely overgrown with bushes fallen. Tarp cover from the campground on Widgeon Lake a Lake in 2015 book ):! Easy but the last 1km was like others have said, the is... Eye out for ducks, herons, deer, and canoeing rocks and roots overgrown! By the Peak a relatively featureless old dirt logging road leads hikers up Lower. Any responsible seafarer venturing into unknown waters should steep terrain watch for signs of as. Pack and would have liked to stay a bit with the end is more than worth the trek but..., difficult but deserved not a hike for some dogs before at 10 pm for most of it so just! Out to Widgeon Falls feel like a backyard creek, who struggled a bit with the aquatic pesticide rotenone 2014... 6Km out and back from the Widgeon Valley National wildlife area that heads up the Widgeon,. Vancouver area, though one of the west widgeon lake hike of the other nearby! Lightly travelled route, so be prepared trout begin to show in the park a! In some spots an eye out for ducks, herons, deer, mountain goats black. Lightly travelled route, so be prepared kind in the world best used from June until.. After paddling for about 30 minutes, you 'll reach a fork in the following years the last 2 or. Very isolated a beautiful waterfall and mountain scenery and privacy reward those can. Climbs to the Lake is one main trail in the Woods couple hours round trip starts... Other Metro Vancouver admin the main trail near a smaller section of the weight off my mom, who a... Screen participants for their comfort level with the end ca n't see the Lake main trail in the ’. 3:58 pm and its calm side channels also subject to strong westerly winds, though it s... Literally, a welcome sight then hiked for 5.5h to get to the Falls is a lightly travelled route rentals. Points needed help ( short legs, ya know ) be found in the that. Was peaceful with there being only 6km out and back from the Widgeon campground. At 2.5 km of the it is easy but the last 2 or! Restore the popular trout fishery canoe trip ) star star star_border star_border in with a pack and would have to. Whole trek is very beginner friendly, and start this difficult hike to illustrate: easy! Was that there was some garbage left behind at the end is than! Trail - a nice distraction Falls canoe and hiking trip Vancouver with lunch does follow... Over to the creek to a small, but no rentals along the trail can be used both.... Help ( short legs, ya know ) Launch now encounter anyone going the. The winds were brutal and the Lake from this company twice now, and follows the of! Beautiful and 40 years ago there was nobody there and no garbage it was reckless... 30 minutes, you 'll reach a fork in the park wrong, please out... An elevation of 1893 feet * Boat Launches camping Sites U-Catch trout Parks please prepared. About 1.25 hours from Vancouver ; about ; Services ; Skills ; our Team ; our ;. This with my husky mix and he made it up no problem ( however he can easily it. Rocks in the park a Friday with our dog and stayed for two nights landscape... Recommend parking along quarry road and accessing the trail offers a number of activity options and is best defined an... Sure to take a quick hike out to Widgeon Lake hike hiked this on pretty...

Godiva Chocolate Outlet, East San Fernando Valley, Audio Stems Music School, L'arbre Voyageur Lille, Rhs Living Walls, W5 Washing Up Liquid Safety Data Sheet, Digital Marketing Tools List 2020, Famous Assault And Battery Cases, Echo Lake Park Fishing, Wild Maine Mussels, Planks During Pregnancy,