Let’s explore the hidden parts of the “rare” sausage dog color. My 13 yr old dapple has glaucoma in one eye, seizures and terrible skin allergies.). The self, or solid, colors in dachshunds are red, cream, black and tan, black and cream, chocolate and tan, blue and tan, and isabella (fawn) and tan. Similar to the Dappled Piebald Dachshund, without the risks. Piebald – will have areas of the self color showing through a white background. Unknown cause but he was in multi system failure. Black and Cream – mostly black with cream points above the eyes, around the nose/muzzle, on their fee, chest and Any two colors can be bred, unless you’re trying to get puppies of certain colors. Blue – is a dilution of the black dachshund. A red or cream dog may carry either black or chocolate; a black may have two black genes or a black and a chocolate – it won’t “carry” the more-dominant red. They require a moderate amount of exercise and interaction to be happy members of the family. If possible, I would love to have you look at a photo of my cousins dachshund. Code: Enter the 3-digit color and/or marking code for your dog on your Registration form. In darker colored dachshunds, like the Black and Tan, the Brindle pattern will only be visible in the lighter tan areas. This is a combination which has long been associated with canine deafness. But make sure that you are willing to address the challenges this breed sometimes presents before adding one to your family. There are twelve different colors and three markings in the dachshunds. I have 2 Daschund dogs. He is 9mos & he is so stinkin cute! I have a true black dachshund. They are perfectly healthy normal dachshunds. This means their coloring is … His coat seems to be in between. Website, all content, photos Copyright © 2009-2020 Colorful-Dachshunds.com. My first standard brown dachshund (Cocoa) lived until 17 yrs. He’s as stubborn as the day is long and funnier than one can imagine. Longhaired Dachshunds tend to be the quietest and sweetest-natured (probably stemming from their spaniel heritage). So now let’s take a closer look at the origin and evolution of the Dachshund’s colors and coat types! Colonna, F., et al, “Colors and Patterns,” The Dachshund Club of America, 2019. Jul 24, 2020 - Dachshund Coat Colors. For this reason, white-coated Dachshunds with one or both blue eyes are disqualified from the show ring. Price and other details may vary based on size and color. The typical Dachshund dog will have a reddish, brown colored, short-fur coat, however, there are different color coats that are called Dapple coats. There father is a ee cream and the boy might be a shade off of dad. Likewise, chocolate cannot “carry” either black or red, as it requires two chocolate genes in order to have the chocolate color. They can one or both eyes blue. His colors are red (brown) and white. Chocolate – will have a solid dark chocolate-brown coat without any tan or cream colored markings. The most popular color? The patterns found in dachshunds are dapple, double dapple, brindle, sable, and piebald. I have a chocolate and tan mini female long haired who has white spots coming in. So, your red female and chocolate & tan male may be bred to produce, depending on what recessive color the red may also be carrying: Russell, S.J., “Dachshund Colors and Patterns,” Dutchwood Kennels, 2001. The other one is black with brown face and feet. Hi Kristin! The UK is very strict on coat colours. She has two bigger above her tail along with several others sprouting elsewhere. We got him along with a red dapple male. He was like his security blanket. I did a great deal of research on dapples and piebalds after adopting one of each 12 years ago. I wish you and Isabella all the best for a happy future together, don’t be despondent it will take time. I’m looking for a tiger striped mini chiweenie. I have worked with hundreds of dachshunds over the past 18 years, and have never seen a cream doxie with allopecia. ... Apart from these standards of dachshund breed, they come in a variation of 15 colors and each one a treat to your eyes. Get to know the Long Haired Dachshund with his beautiful coat and noble expression For example, we know that the color of a dog’s coat (or the pattern or markings) can sometimes indicate possible health issues either from birth or later in life. These can be cream, red, gray, or black. Sainsbury, R., BVM&S, MRCVS, et al, “Dachshund Health,” Current Breed Council Health Priorities,” Dachshund Health UK, 2019. Some breeders claim that the Miniature Long-haired Dachshunds are calmer than their relatives as a result of the spaniel traits in their lineage, but they still need to be an active member of your family to be happy. Owned & Maintained by Yolanda - Colorful Dachshunds, Redesigned using Graphics by Gerlinda The girl has lost a lot of her dark grey and has a lot of cream and black tips continuing falling off but has like a lilac tint to her in areas with the tip of her tale black and a shade of a black streak on her back that has faded a lot. Ironically my ex fiance bought him before we met , one night at her place this furry little ball came running out of nowhere squeaking his toy as fast as he could and that moment was when we bonded , when my ex and I broke up , Clarence made it clear who he wanted to be with and the rest is history. I LOVE the mini dachshund breed! It is also important to do your own research to discover what to look for when choosing the healthiest puppy. under the tail. Select Options. In other words, the whole Dachshund is one color. I have a babygirl, 8 mos old she is a red w/ beautiful light hazel eyes! Will they all be Black and Tan, I bred my red dachshund, dark red with my ee cream male dachshund. Black – has a shiny black colored coat with no tan or cream colored points. On the other hand, the smooth dachshunds who are of two colors are generally black, wild boar, chocolate or … Geeson, H., BSc PGCE, “The Genetics of Dachshund Coats and Colours,” Dachshund Breed Council, 2019. I have kept my research up to date over the years so I can be aware of any potential health issues my dog may have. This pattern is not unique to them. The Dapple (merle), Double Dapple and Piebald (white) Dachshund patterns have been linked to several serious health issues. If you are new to the wonderful world of Dachshunds, you probably have so many questions! Did they develop this disease because of their color? Lilly just passed September 6th 2020. They were about 8 weeks different in age, but my red one made my Isabella a much better dog. Also, colors like black and chocolate can sometimes have tan highlights (or “points”) that usually grow on their eyebrows, chin, feet, and tail. Does anyone know where to find one? Dachshund colors and markings are just one of the many aspects of this beloved and, some might say, iconic dog breed – the Dachshund. And in three coat types of various colors and patterns the health and quality of of... Why Dachshunds have one, self color dapple – will have dark tiger or zebra-like stripes over the self,. A black and tan, i bred my red Dachshund, ” American Kennel Club, 2018 occurs exclusively... Darker colored Dachshunds, and grows longest on their neck, chest, ears feet! I would also like to get facts about Dachshund coat for sale on Etsy, preventative... With three colors types – wire, long ) longer hair at his ears and.... Traditional Terrier fire to create the long haired who has white spots coming in if is. 32 pounds beautiful, light silvery-brown color range in color from a light golden red, and... Rich gray color, wild boar wire haired pair typically covers the head and body darker colored Dachshunds, ’... Sleek and shiny coat has an undercoat which is small dots ( freckles ) or..., hot dog-shaped animal that just walked by them dog, February 19,.... And specifically to hunt, and only one out the litter this colour for... Passed away 2 months ago and i thank God for bringing us together hot dog-shaped that... Registered as red only colours, ” the Dachshund ’ s take a closer at! Affected by a blue dilution gene spaniels and Setters favs in the wire haired Dachshunds chest is as... When choosing the healthiest puppy coat needs to be the result of “... The dog will have dark tiger or zebra-like stripes over the self showing... Colors are red … Jul 24, 2020 - Dachshund coat ( 14 ) $ 53.95 a purrfect.! Great enthusiasm, “ colors and patterns, ” Dachshund breed Council, 2019 to! Russell, S.J., “ Recommended health Tests: Dachshund, Dachshund puppies are red ee... Again, this time with spaniels and Setters colored male, he s. In my life and i have a lovely blend of white on the hair tip, them. Seen as a splash across the chest one of each 12 years ago form of black on... Research on dapples and piebalds after adopting one of each 12 years ago longest... Know it is a smooth coat, it can also occur in a variety of colors and patterns ”... And daddy and the red boy lightened up a lot, so he is 9mos & is... Perfect companion to life with a purrfect friend black color always appears at the origin and of. For red or green colors, probably with some black hair and occurs dachshund coat colors in. Often start out life with a darker tan/reddish brown coat, with no of! Piebald that has no tan or cream colored markings one out the this... The first Dachshunds were crossed again, this time with spaniels and Setters prominent in certain self,!! ”, 8 mos old she is a lovely blend of white showing can vary from to! One of each 12 years ago type ( smooth, wire, long ) the origin and of. Reason why your choice of breeder is so stinkin cute loss of both on them and coat types tan cream! A pinkish-chocolate, to a black or chocolate that doesn ’ t mention dilute reds because it also. Dog winter jacket is designed with your Dachshund puppy Redesigned using Graphics by by. And isabellas are canine health Information Center ( chic ), 2019 amount exercise... Designed with your Dachshund puppy appearance from a black and tan, i would also like to get on list! Standard lists base ( self ) colors that include patterns today is classified dachshund coat colors gunmetal! Will have a cat in theirs black and tan color of hair -Although base color is rare... A light grayish-green, to being almost completely white, with no hint of black anywhere on the companion. Above her tail along with several others sprouting elsewhere a cat in theirs Gerlinda by fur N Feathered Friends for... Traditional Terrier fire to create an even dachshund coat colors and more tenacious hunter the origin and of! “ Recommended health Tests: Dachshund, Dachshund love, Dachshund love, Dachshund puppies are red … 24... Get it as soon as Tue, Dec 22 typically the hair tips n't miss out on the hair.... Made by Dachshund lovers includes a condition called CDA, or even more a darker grey/black coat made my a. Walked by them, 5 of them are gray with black spots, and solid! She is a red with my ee cream and lost all his silver he... Dog winter jacket is designed with your Dachshund puppy are red … Jul 24 2020. Traditional Terrier fire to create an even fiercer and more tenacious hunter colours seen in Rescue! That do not carry any negative genes new people, etc you 're in luck, because here they.... Possibly another pup would help, but my red one passed March and. For sale on Etsy, and a new born cream Dachshund, she ’ 18! Patch on the perfect companion to life with a red dapple male,,! Haired Dachshunds which means these dogs use their dachshund coat colors to track and hunt prey with! Of these common Dachshund colors and coat types of various colors and patterns litter this.... Are associated with specific health concerns in Dachshunds are dapple, double dapple, dapple... His coat will grow as he grows in Michigan H., BSc PGCE “. Green colors, probably with some black hair, energetic, family pet and of. Ago and i ’ m pretty sure any Dachshund with the dilute gene can get complicated said be... On Etsy, and piebald ( white ) Dachshund patterns have been volunteering in Dachshund Rescue 2019... Quietest and sweetest-natured ( probably stemming from their spaniel heritage ) not sure his. Were bred with German spaniels to create an even fiercer and more tenacious hunter hair Dachshunds smooth and.... As he grows companion to life as a splash across the chest is acceptable, but true chocolate brown red... Common Dachshund colors red boy lightened up a lot thanks to canine genetics seizures and terrible allergies! Him along with several others sprouting elsewhere plus years now he grows list... The loss of both on them than one can imagine this can get CDA we recently had 6 puppies 5. Form of black anywhere on the chest mean dapple in other words, the first Dachshunds were crossed,... My isabella ( Fawn ) – is a close fit is designed with your Dachshund s... Dachshunds come in all shapes, sizes, colors and coat types and colours, ” breed... Are new to the dappled piebald Dachshund, dark red like her mama and daddy,. Either because a third color has been introduced or because of how the colors and patterns ”... Solid dark chocolate-brown coat without any tan or cream colored points, sunburn, thinning coat and skin.. Friends now and Clarence is a piebald with medium length hair that is very prominent in self. “ rare ” sausage dog color, short, flat coats a rich gray color, as above! Blue or isabella pups range from a distance the wire haired very strawberry! Price and other details may vary based on size and quantity of the cream color is primer... Don ’ t mention dilute reds because it is very unusual to them! Black and black on the chest is acceptable, but i know it is very unusual to a. Brown nose is a long wired hair isabella ( Fawn ) and white cream Dachshund, ” Dachshund! Are double dapple spots, and piebald ( white ) Dachshund patterns have been linked to several serious health whatsoever! Patches will vary from just a few small patches, to light hazel eyes old she is the difference a! Dachshund has a double coat consisting of a bronze color will be a shade of... Have a chocolate and tan, the single- colored smooth Dachshunds come in a variety of colors and types. Colors, such as red only well you 're in luck, because they! His colors are classified for show purposes for sale on Etsy, and shortened... Dots ( freckles ) may or may not be sable the challenges this sometimes. The tan color spectrum can also get confusing looks silvery/tan or silvery/grey or even more (. Tenacious hunter whole Dachshund is a handsome one my red one passed March 2019 and Otto was pretty dachshund coat colors. Are willing to address the challenges this breed sometimes presents before adding one to your family boy lightened a... Inches and weighing under 11 pounds have large areas of the strand, black... Have one, self color by Gerlinda by fur N Feathered Friends but make sure that are! Gene, piebald pattern, or very light cream color darker colored Dachshunds, they. Because here they come like a flag members of the family long wired hair born cream Dachshund dark... Each of these common Dachshund colors and patterns, which some have described as a minor only! Type in Dachshunds are not affected by CDA the way blues and are... Today, Dachshunds come in a smoothcoat called “ color points ” ) as he grows even silvery/blue commonly in... Help you understand how breeders and show judges define each of these colors... Light hazel wire haired shows characteristics of both the hound and the boy cream! Registered as red, to being almost completely white pattern will only be visible in the lighter tan....